Sail to Cuba on the Sun?

I wanted to inquire if anyone has sailed to Cuba on the Sun out of Port Canaveral. I sailed on Csrnival Paradise last year out of Tampa but was looking at the Sun to.sail again back to Cuba. I am looking for any info on how you liked the ship and the itinerary. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This week's cruise is only the 2nd cruise to Cuba from Port Canaveral for the Sun.

The Sun completed an extensive dry dock before sailing from the Pacific Northwest to Port Canaveral. There have been lots of pictures posted in several threads of how nice she looks.

Later this year, The Sun will be doing Cuba cruises out of the Port of Miami.

I love The Sun.

for me, cuba/key west looks better than cuba/gsc on the Sky, mainly because i've been to gsc before.

but the Sun is the more expensive 4day cuba cruise @ $125/per person vs $85/person on the Sky.

fly into Orlando and $20 shuttle to port Canaveral.

following, since i want to know more about the cuba/key west itinerary.

We just went on her inaugural cruise to Cuba from port Canaveral , we live close so as soon as we heard about the Sun cruising from here we booked. Its a small but really nice ship, easy to get around and enjoyed the dining package and all inclusive liquor. Loved Cuba and would like to go back but gonna try to find a cruise that stays a little longer, like 2 full days and doesn't include key west, we can drive to key West anytime so paying to cruise there is kind of a waste for us but we got a good deal on the cruise so it was worth it.

Thanks for the reply I also live close to Port Canaveral so we usually cruise out of there or will try to cruise out of Tampa. I've also been looking to go back to Cuba again, hopefully next year. I know the ships are smaller but haven't been on the Sun so wanted a little feedback on how the ship is. I agree I can go to Key West since I live in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I'm doing the Sun on 6/1. Cheap, quick 3 days to Bahamas. I considered Cuba but everybody I've talked to that's been on other cruiselines said it was great, but you should fly in, or take a long cruise. There's too much to see/do and not enough time to spend in the country with these 4 day itineraries.

Oceania has itineraries that spend 4 whole days in Cuba. but obviously, that's going to cost you more dollars.

I was on the cruise to Cuba last week on the Sun. I loved the ship as it has all new carpet and lots of new furniture in public areas. The bad thing about the Sun is the buffet is super tiny and the choices not so great. My comparison was Getaway which has an awesome buffet. The Spinnaker lounge is awesome. The pool area is nice and wasn't too crowded. The "open bar" feature is great and runs very smoothly. They had to dock at the navy pier in Key West and this was a hassle getting off the ship as they have to bring trolleys and busses for everyone.

I was on the cruise to Cuba last week on the Sun. I loved the ship as it has all new carpet and lots of new furniture in public areas. The bad thing about the Sun is the buffet is super tiny and the choices not so great. My comparison was Getaway which has an awesome buffet. The Spinnaker lounge is awesome. The pool area is nice and wasn't too crowded. The "open bar" feature is great and runs very smoothly. They had to dock at the navy pier in Key West and this was a hassle getting off the ship as they have to bring trolleys and busses for everyone.

Probably the smallest buffet I've ever seen but then I discovered the other side, lol. Also dining room was open for breakfast and lunch

Hi Lori,

We're on this cruise in August and scheduled to dock at the navy pier. Can you tell me how long it took from the ship arriving to getting downtown?

Also, is there an option to jump off the trolley at the exit from the navy base, or do you have to stay on right into town? And I guess for the return, too - can you walk to the gate of the navy base and take the trolley back to the ship? I've read that's possible but would like confirmation. :-)

Many thanks