Thoughts and ideas to make your Carnival Cruise easier and better

AmBear

For those platinum and above, you can ask guest services to exchange you free gift. They may have something different. My wife exchanged the over the ear headphones (as we got 4 from our recent b2b) for a couple of night lights we hadn't gotten yet!

Good idea. I always have loose change in the safe and its hard to get out.

I bring gallon zip lock bags to put items in before I store them in the safe. At the end of the cruise grab the bags and double check the floor of the safe before we leave.

• Bring plastic bags .. 2 gallon large zip locks for storage of wet bathing suits and dirty cloths on the way home
  • When you pack T-shirt’s , shorts, socks, etc, roll them instead of folding to keep from wrinkling

If you have Medication that must be refrigerated and either you don't have one or it's not cold enough....the infirmary will refrigerate for you. My grandson is on insulin so that is good to know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I pack socks, undies, etc in 1 or 2 gallon ziplock bags. Sometimes the drawer space is limited and these bags can just be placed on shelves and keep your things clean.

Nancy, exactly what my wife does, I think it's because she thinks I'm messy! ;p

How are you notified of these "comps"? Does the pit boss tell you personally? or do you know before you even board what your comps will be for that cruise.

They came to my table at dinner. I had a choice between a bottle of wine or the steakhouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got off the Glory yesterday and had the steakhouse booked for the first night. The wine was only offered at 50% off.

Wait until you're ON the ship to make your reservation. On deck 5 on embarkation day they were offering a free bottle with steakhouse dinner that night. The table was set up by the piano across from the Creams cafe.

Never had any problem with my Capital One card. They actually sent me an email a week before the trip. "Thanks for using your Capital One® card to book your upcoming trip. We want to let you know that because of the added security that comes with your chip card, you don’t need to call us before you take a trip." I admit it was a little creepy in a big brother is watching sort of a way

Funny story, American Express did the same thing to me - "we know you're about to travel, no need to contact us" - then they immediately flagged my card on opening the sail and sign account in Miami. Go figure.

I bought a cooler with 6 cans of pop and ordered through the ship to be delivered to the room but they stopped doing that a few months ago. I know it was expensive but I really liked the cooler and it was a nice souvenir to take home. Disappointing that changed all that out. I still have my cooler and will bring it with me.

That WAS a great cooler, I have been using mine as a lunch box for work for over 10 years.

That WAS a great cooler, I have been using mine as a lunch box for work for over 10 years.

I am not really sure why they changed. The things that they have not look cheaper and nothing like before. I had bought several of those cooler combinations over the years

I love to read and take pictures of everything. So I got a waterproof phone pouch on a neck lanyard for my phone. It has a Kindle app and extra storage for some movies. I can sit in the hot tub or the pool and read or get some different angles for pics. Also fantastic for excursions.

Note that the touch screen won't work underwater; you have to use the buttons for still pics. So don't get the pouches with the colored borders, as you can't see the buttons. To video, start it above the water, then lower the phone in. Test with toilet tissue inside before each trip.

1) My mother is elderly, and I'm no spring chicken, so I pack enough OTC meds for both of us for any minor ailment for the length of the vacation. To save space I remove sheets of caplets from the boxes and write the medicine name on each sheet. Enough Dayquil/Nyquil for both of us for ten days, enough tummy and diarrhea meds, eyedrops, nose drops, etc. Also bandaids and ointment. We've used a few things, which saves quite a bit of money. It's a great comfort to know everything is at hand if my mother gets sick during the night. It all fits in a big baggie, and once home we use it up as needed and buy fresh for the next year.

2) I save those rectangular zipper pouches that curtains and bedding come in. Just as good as expensive packing cubes. I roll up underwear and fill each small one with socks, underpants, etc, and put them in the drawers on the ship. Very fast and easy.

3) You can order Ziploc Big Bags in 3 or 10-gallon sizes, which are nice if you like to pack outfits separately. Just stack in the drawer or leave in the suitcase until needed.

4) People joke about duct tape, but it's invaluable. I wished I had some on our first cruise! The wheels ripped out of one of the bags and I could have repaired it. And it turned out that I had to run the extension cord for my CPAP across the room from the outlet, making a trip hazard. On the next cruise I taped the cord down well for its entire length. The steward could just vacuum over it.

5) We brought a lot of cash for tips and eating out. I kept post-it notes and pens by the safe and labeled a five each day for the steward and a couple of ones for room service, in addition to the prepaid gratuities. (I don't like leaving unlabeled money out and making them guess. And I'm too groggy in the morning to remember to get money out when room service knocks!)

6) I got a zippered portfolio and put all original documents and receipts in the sections, labeled Identification, Hotel, Ship, Excursions. Save photos on phone for backup. I print out a picture of the ship for the front, and put all the Fun Times and interesting brochures we get into the back, for scrapbooking. On the last cruise, the security guy checking us in was quite impressed when I pulled that out of my carryon!

Another set of suggestions from obsessive old ladies!

1) My mother can walk, but the boarding ramp on embarkation is a considerable climb. So I request a wheelchair for her in advance. When the attendant brings that I pile all our carryons (bags of meds, cameras, and jewelry, plus my CPAP and her crochet) onto the seat of her rolling walker and push it after. Reverse on debarkation.

2) As soon as we get to the room I unpack everything (quite easy if it's all in plastic cubes and bags, or on hangers), stow the suitcases under the bed, put valuables in the safe or closed up, and my portfolio on the vanity for any papers we get. We do our best to keep the space orderly, both to reduce the chance of tripping or losing things, and because the stewards can do a better job if they can get to all surfaces.

3) We hang our lanyards with our sign and sail cards on the hook, so we can grab them on the way out. BUT ALWAYS CHECK! One day I ran out early for a long excursion and my mother went ashore later to shop. I didn't realize until I tried to get back in that I had taken her card, so of course she had mine. This caused considerable hoorah as security got the notion that she had wandered off unaccounted for. Eventually somebody worked out that both cards had checked in so we were both aboard, but it's easier to have the right card! (And it was helpful that I carry my driver's license on shore, as it proved I hadn't mugged an old lady for her card!)

4) We get travel sizes of everything possible, like deodorant and toothpaste, and throw them away at the end even if there's a bit left. More room for souvenirs! (I read that some folks bring their oldest undies and t-shirts and toss them out, too,)

hoping someone in CC land can help. so can each family member bring one suitcase and a carry on???? we are bringing soda and wine so that must be in the carry on. have not sailed on carnival in over 15 years.

You can bring on as many bags as you like. However:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays."

I put the ice bucket in the fridge to turbocharge the cold. I plug a nite light into the shaver socket in the bathroom. I keep a Fenix lantern on the bedside table along with a Casio travel alarm clock. I pack a light weight duffel bag and put my dirty clothes in there. If need be I can carry it to the laundry. For my pocket items I have a leather tray with snaps on the corners that allows it to pack flat, but keeps it tidy on the table or in the safe.

On every ship we've been on, the outlet for the electric razor is connected to the bathroom light's wall switch. When you turn off the light, you also turn off that outlet. It doesn't do any good to plug a night light into it. We always bring a battery operated night light. A battery operated candle also makes a good night light.

Where did you find a mesh hanging shower caddy?? I have looked and looked for them.

thanks, Peggy

We bought ours at Dollar General. I've also seen them at Target. If all else fails, you can find them on Amazon.

We bought ours at Dollar General. I've also seen them at Target. If all else fails, you can find them on Amazon.

I just ordered mine and got it from Amazon

4) People joke about duct tape, but it's invaluable. I wished I had some on our first cruise! The wheels ripped out of one of the bags and I could have repaired it. And it turned out that I had to run the extension cord for my CPAP across the room from the outlet, making a trip hazard. On the next cruise I taped the cord down well for its entire length. The steward could just vacuum over it.

Do yourself and the cruise line a favor. Spend a few dollars more and buy some gaffers tape. It is just as strong as duct tape, but is designed to not leave a residue and doesn't damage painted surfaces.