Thoughts and ideas to make your Carnival Cruise easier and better

AmBear

I tend to get car sick, and motion sickness on sea days. To avoid this now, I buy a bottle of Bonine from Target and take one every day at the same time. They are good for 24 hours and don't cause drowsiness. I've never had motion sickness since, and I think it also helps head off hangovers (for me at least).

This is a great list!

1) Yep, we are some of the people with tons of luggage because...why not? It's delivered to you-- take whatever will make your trip great for you! We also dress up nightly for dinner, so that takes space. Fly Southwest and two checked bags per person are free.

2) We get a vacuum bag and take our own foam "egg crate" pad with us for the bed. It's so much more comfortable and that irritating crack between the two twin mattresses put together is magically gone. We ask the room steward to bring the vacuum cleaner the last night and vacuum the bag for packing-- it's amazing how strong those Carnival vacuums are!

3) For those that do like to use the paper Fun Times, bring a highlighter to mark your favorite events for the day.

4) Skip the shopping show and the free charm bracelet hunt!

5) Skip the debarkation talk and just watch it on the TV.

6) This may not be for everyone, but...we take some "ready to be retired" underclothes and just chunk them in the trash at the end of the week. Saves space (minimal) on the way home and eliminates taking that dirty laundry with you.

7) I've read online that eating green apples can alleviate motion sickness. I can't verify that, but there you go.

8) Use your open luggage under the bed as either a dirty clothes hamper or an extra "drawer."

9) If you have a balcony cabin, the couch has 2 huge drawers under it. Ask the room steward to remove extra blankets/pillows if they are in there.

10) Pack jewelry in a 7-day pill container.

11) Bring aerosol or pump spray Wrinkle Releaser so you can skip the ironing room.

12) Bring conditioner. The shampoo is fine/available, but I have to have my conditioner!

13) Bring your stash of hotel bottles of conditioner. The just throw away the empty ones and you have more space going home.

14) If you work out, bring powdered Gatorade. Buy one bottle on board for your first workout, then just refill it with water/powder on subsequent days.

15) Monitor your sail-n-sign account. We've found charges not ours and double charges several times. Just go to guest services and they will investigate to verify, and take care of it. We've never had an issue having charges removed that were not really ours.

This is a great list!

1) Yep, we are some of the people with tons of luggage because...why not? It's delivered to you-- take whatever will make your trip great for you! We also dress up nightly for dinner, so that takes space. Fly Southwest and two checked bags per person are free.

2) We get a vacuum bag and take our own foam "egg crate" pad with us for the bed. It's so much more comfortable and that irritating crack between the two twin mattresses put together is magically gone. We ask the room steward to bring the vacuum cleaner the last night and vacuum the bag for packing-- it's amazing how strong those Carnival vacuums are!

3) For those that do like to use the paper Fun Times, bring a highlighter to mark your favorite events for the day.

4) Skip the shopping show and the free charm bracelet hunt!

5) Skip the debarkation talk and just watch it on the TV.

6) This may not be for everyone, but...we take some "ready to be retired" underclothes and just chunk them in the trash at the end of the week. Saves space (minimal) on the way home and eliminates taking that dirty laundry with you.

7) I've read online that eating green apples can alleviate motion sickness. I can't verify that, but there you go.

8) Use your open luggage under the bed as either a dirty clothes hamper or an extra "drawer."

9) If you have a balcony cabin, the couch has 2 huge drawers under it. Ask the room steward to remove extra blankets/pillows if they are in there.

10) Pack jewelry in a 7-day pill container.

11) Bring aerosol or pump spray Wrinkle Releaser so you can skip the ironing room.

12) Bring conditioner. The shampoo is fine/available, but I have to have my conditioner!

13) Bring your stash of hotel bottles of conditioner. The just throw away the empty ones and you have more space going home.

14) If you work out, bring powdered Gatorade. Buy one bottle on board for your first workout, then just refill it with water/powder on subsequent days.

15) Monitor your sail-n-sign account. We've found charges not ours and double charges several times. Just go to guest services and they will investigate to verify, and take care of it. We've never had an issue having charges removed that were not really ours.

do they have shampoo on all ships? pride??

Thought of another,,

Wanna try the Steakhouse, but think $35. is a little too much, order the same steak in the MDR for $20.!

The Steakhouse is about more than the steak. The entire experience is of greater quality than the MDR.

Gaffer's tape is not that inexpensive, and only has a one year shelf life. I use lots of it, and it is $24 a roll.

I recommended it because I use a fair amount of it myself. I've used some that was a couple years old without issue. You can buy 30 yd rolls on Amazon for about $15.

How much is your time worth to clean the goo off of your stuff that duct tape leaves behind?

1) Get an over the door shoe organizer. Great for sandals, sunscreen, sunglasses, S&S cards, sunburn cream, etc. Never lose stuff again!

2) Pop up hamper that folds flat. Keeps dirty clothes organized.

3) Small mesh hanging shower caddy. There’s no place to put your on shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, razor, shaving cream etc. Mine hangs from the shower nozzle and keeps it all at my fingertips.

I have never had the need for the shoe organizer or pop-up hamper, but the shower caddy sounds like a good idea,

This may not work for everyone, but for me as long as I don't let my stomach get empty I don't get seasick. I learned that the hard way on one of my first cruises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Oh this is PERFECT! I can now use this as a legitimate excuse for the overeating I always do when I'm on a cruise! I'm just trying to prevent seasickness! I love it! Thanks moonbmn53! Seriously, thanks!

This is a great list!

You had several great tips! I disagree with #1, but to each his own. I am a huge advocate of packing light but that approach is not for everyone. Nevertheless I do love the idea about the pad for the bed -- not sure how that is going to fit into my packing light plan. ;p

Hotel/ cruise ship beds are almost always much too firm for my liking but I was never sure what to do about it. Never thought to have the steward help us vacuum out the bag. I think I'd be willing to give a bit of an extra tip for that service.

1) ...

2) I save those rectangular zipper pouches that curtains and bedding come in. Just as good as expensive packing cubes. I roll up underwear and fill each small one with socks, underpants, etc, and put them in the drawers on the ship. Very fast and easy.

6) I got a zippered portfolio and put all original documents and receipts in the sections, labeled Identification, Hotel, Ship, Excursions. Save photos on phone for backup. I print out a picture of the ship for the front, and put all the Fun Times and interesting brochures we get into the back, for scrapbooking. On the last cruise, the security guy checking us in was quite impressed when I pulled that out of my carryon!

More excellent ideas. Despite the foregoing dispute about technology vs unplugging, I always take paper copies of almost everything. I have what my daughter jokingly refers to as a "trip folder." As each reservation is made (car, hotel, cruise, steakhouse, whatever) I print out my confirmation and it goes into the folder, in chronological order according to when it will be needed. So, for example, air confirmation might go first, then rental car reservation, then pre-cruise hotel, cruise documents, steakhouse reservation, excursions, etc.

I am reasonably up to date from a tech standpoint, but I still find it helpful and comforting to have paper copies. Just in case the unthinkable happens and my phone is lost, stolen, damaged or otherwise becomes unusable. I do value the ability to unplug and still function.

Here is another tip that has been useful to me. I use my phone for most photos, but when doing water-based excursions I'm afraid of dropping it overboard or whatever.

So I purchased a good waterproof camera on amazon, and also purchased a floating camera strap. That way I can take pictures in and on the water without fear of losing my camera. If the camera is dropped it won't sink to the bottom and I'll be able to retrieve it, even in deep water. Gives me peace of mind and I can enjoy taking pics on my excursions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUZEZL4/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b26h8_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=PVVSP64JGWNZN48NC1N8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=eb5ac887-b1a5-5e13-9f6e-0042673042de&pf_rd_i=502394

Due to the way a ship's exterior bulkheads (walls), cabin windowsills get wider the farther forward you go. In Fantasy-class porthole cabins, which I had, the windowsills are huge. I've been using them as a dumping ground for my half-unpacked suitcase, backpack, and used clothes. Come to think of it, I never used the drawers. I only hung my dinner clothes in the closet, so they don't get wrinkled; everything else got dumped onto the windowsill. Sure, it's messy, but it worked pretty well. My steward didn't seem to like it very much, because he always closed the curtains when he serviced my cabin. :)

I apologize if this has been mention:

Take a phone pic of a card with your name, cruise ship, cruise date and cabin # on it so if your phone is lost on the ship it can be returned to you. (I also put my home address and internet addy in case it's lost anywhere)

Also, take a pic of your passport to store it on your phone. Also a pic of your boarding pass in case you lose it.

Put a large stiff sheet of paper with the same information on top of all your luggage just before you close it for the same reason. (luggage tags frequently get torn off) On the reverse of that include your address, phone#, and internet address for the trip home.

Don’t take those blue towels off the ship I’m port. Loosing one might cost you $$.

When you visit the gym walk through the shower area and grab one or two of the rolled up ones in the storage cubby. They fit perfect in a backpack, cost you zero if you loose it and you can take it back for an exchange when you get back aboard.

We cruise a lot during summer months from here in Galveston and I grab 2-3 extra towels the first day for a late shower after dinner. On a cruise a three shower day is common for me.

Get a multi outlet USB charger. It takes one plug and we charge two iPhones, two Bluetooth headsets, a camera and Kindle on one.

Here is another tip that has been useful to me. I use my phone for most photos, but when doing water-based excursions I'm afraid of dropping it overboard or whatever.

So I purchased a good waterproof camera on amazon, and also purchased a floating camera strap. That way I can take pictures in and on the water without fear of losing my camera. If the camera is dropped it won't sink to the bottom and I'll be able to retrieve it, even in deep water. Gives me peace of mind and I can enjoy taking pics on my excursions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUZEZL4/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b26h8_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=PVVSP64JGWNZN48NC1N8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=eb5ac887-b1a5-5e13-9f6e-0042673042de&pf_rd_i=502394

I completely agree with you about purchasing a good underwater camera. My daughter lost her phone today in a cenote near Playa del Carmen. She was wearing it around her neck in a waterproof pouch, jumped in, strap snapped...phone is now at the bottom, working just fine in its underwater pouch. Luckily it is insured. My phone will just go in the safe. And your suggestion of a floating strap would have been really helpful for my daughter. Live and learn!

Thank you Great Suggestions

Especially the extension cord as I always brought power strips with surge protection. I thought it was safer than a extension cord

Have a Great Day and a Better Tomorrow

On our last cruise a passenger brought a small plastic cafe tray. Which help bringing food to table. When I inquired he said it fits in bottom of suitcase and takes up very little room

I found one at Chef Store

I’m sure there’s variety of sizes and colors at restaurant supply or IKEA. Also not expensive

Thought of another,,

Wanna try the Steakhouse, but think $35. is a little too much, order the same steak in the MDR for $20.!

The ambiance and the sides are well worth the 35 dollars, I'd never order in the MDR, if I'm paying 20.00 I'll pay the extra 15 and have an excellent experience. I've never had a bad experience in the steak house. The Lobster Bisque is the best I've ever had and it is NOT the same as you get in the MDR!! Do yourself a favor and try the steakhouse once and decide for yourself if it's worth it to you or not. Not everyone has the same feelings

On our last cruise a passenger brought a small plastic cafe tray. Which help bringing food to table. When I inquired he said it fits in bottom of suitcase and takes up very little room

I found one at Chef Store

I’m sure there’s variety of sizes and colors at restaurant supply or IKEA. Also not expensive

You can order room service the first day and keep the tray instead of purchasing one.

You can order room service the first day and keep the tray instead of purchasing one.

You are correct. The trays from room service on the ships I have been on are Heavy. The one I saw and purchase is lightweight. Mine cost approximately $3.00.

That is absolutely correct!:D The door to the wooden enclosure, 'not' the fridge door!

Thanks for that tip! I’ll remember that since I ordered water, coke, and beer for our cabin. Is the frig empty or do we have to ask them to empty it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Embarkation Day, I get a water cup from the buffet area and take it to our cabin. I put my car keys and loose change in it and put it in the safe along with my wallet. I won't need that stuff until Debarkation Day. I'm on vacation. Might as well give my pockets a vacation too.;)

[emoji106] Great tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums