Antartctia

lois1112

Thank you Pam, this post means a lot to me.

Doug

I actually don't think comparing trips 10 years ago and beyond is probably the right thing to do for the future. It will be 10 years since Princes was last in Antarctica when they return.

For example, Princess NOW falls under the Holland America Group in the Carnival Corp umbrella. I have no doubt that they will be doing things more alike in Antarctica than differently. If you have watched how close HAL and Princess work together in places like Alaska, it is obvious they are run by the same group. Princess is not going to re-invent the wheel when they can use the resources HAL already has.

I actually don't think comparing trips 10 years ago and beyond is probably the right thing to do for the future. It will be 10 years since Princes was last in Antarctica when they return.

For example, Princess NOW falls under the Holland America Group in the Carnival Corp umbrella. I have no doubt that they will be doing things more alike in Antarctica than differently. If you have watched how close HAL and Princess work together in places like Alaska, it is obvious they are run by the same group. Princess is not going to re-invent the wheel when they can use the resources HAL already has.

I agree that for Princess to "reinvent the wheel" and offer a different on-board program in comparison to the excellent on-board enrichment program that HAL offered on the Zaandam seems wasteful and violates what Carnival Corporation touts as encouraging "best practices" among all of their ships. In my opinion, this "best practices mantra" has not been well practiced fleet wide.

I strongly encourage those future guests on cruises to The Frozen Continent to determine what the on-board enrichment program will be, if they are interested in such. Even part of the same Carnival Corporation corporate Group, Princess' offerings may be different from HAL.

I actually did both Holland America and Princess to Antarctica about 10 and 12 years ago. Both scenic cruising. I didn't think Holland America was superior. They were pretty close. The 2 trips were about 2 years apart. The Holland trip was longer and for that regards - I did like that part of it but when I went to return - I didn't have the vacation time and the Princess trip worked well with my schedule. I can't say one is better than the other.

I personally am considering this cruise. Would I like to set foot on it, yes, but it is very $$$$. Plus, I am single so add the single supplement. If my choices are to see it and not step foot or never see it - I would rather see it and not step foot as opposed to never see it ever.

Lindblad/ National Geographic will match you up with a roommate on their Antarctica expeditions. I went as a solo two years ago and paid the solo price but there were solos who had been paired up w other solos thus paying half the price. It is a very expensive trip but very, very worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lindblad/ National Geographic will match you up with a roommate on their Antarctica expeditions. I went as a solo two years ago and paid the solo price but there were solos who had been paired up w other solos thus paying half the price. It is a very expensive trip but very, very worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a big trip coming up in a few weeks. After that, I will look into options for Antarctica. Maybe I will post pone it for another year. I have no desire to share a cabin with a stranger - so that is not an option.

There are some cruisers on my next trip who have done various Antarctica options so I will also speak with them.