Antartctia

lois1112

I'm not sure if the itinerary will be the same, but when I was on the Star Princess to Antarctica in 2010, we had four days of scenic cruising along the Antarctic Peninsula. The first day was Elephant Island and the Endurance Glacier. The second day was Antarctic Sound (Iceberg Alley) and Admiralty Bay, where we went by the Artowski Research Station and some scientists came on board. The third day was Gerlache Strait and Neumayer Channel. The fourth day was Deception Island. Lots of amazing scenery! We had several different lecturers and an ice pilot on board, so there were some fascinating presentations.

I'd love to do this cruise again, although prices seem a bit steep: the 16-day cruises in 2019/20 are nearly double what I paid for a 20-day cruise in 2010. I'll probably just wait and see if prices drop closer to the sailing date.

When we were there, a few years ago, we had very good Internet service.

Enjoy your Cruise; it is a great experience.

Agree. 14-day Antarctica exploration with ten days of landings last year on Hurtigruten Fram we had the best and fastest connectivity of any of cruise ever.

Have you been on Hurtigruten? It definitely doesn't sound like the usual cruise experience.

Its better than the "usual cruise experience" for Antarctic expeditions. Great crews: navigation, housekeeping, food and beverage, and most importantly the professional guides. Excellent food with an additional norwegian twist. Fram is a beautiful small small with stabilizers. Their newest ships are supposed to be magnificent.

Agree. 14-day Antarctica exploration with ten days of landings last year on Hurtigruten Fram we had the best and fastest connectivity of any of cruise ever.

Its better than the "usual cruise experience" for Antarctic expeditions. Great crews: navigation, housekeeping, food and beverage, and most importantly the professional guides. Excellent food with an additional norwegian twist. Fram is a beautiful small small with stabilizers. Their newest ships are supposed to be magnificent.

Thank you. I obviously need to look more into it.

i want this trip so much! lois, coral, azbirdmom, did your TA discount very much? i need to see what mine can do... there's lots of time to save, right? i don't know whether i want to be talked into or out of this!

i want this trip so much! lois, coral, azbirdmom, did your TA discount very much? i need to see what mine can do... there's lots of time to save, right? i don't know whether i want to be talked into or out of this!

Mine did. She has a group and I was VERY happy with the final price!:D

Mine did. She has a group and I was VERY happy with the final price!:D

I think all 3 of us have the same TA...... She did get group space on the cruise.

I don't have a final price as I have 2 held and told her to hold off on a price until I decide.

I think all 3 of us have the same TA...... She did get group space on the cruise.

I don't have a final price as I have 2 held and told her to hold off on a price until I decide.

my TA is checking for me now. i get the "pricing unavailable" notice when i look on princess. weird because i could see the prices yesterday.

Yeah, I too was getting the "unavailable" notice though a Princess rep said pricing should be available to everyone, Elite and non-, by 9 am Pacfic. She also said some but not all TAs could book it, as could Princess directly. Called my TA, got the cabin I wanted booked with no problem.

I am seeing "pricing not available" for all sailings.

Is it sold out already?

It said that for me too, my Travel agent was able to get the price from Princess- maybe this was due to yesterday was for elites only. I haven't looked today

my e mail address is lois 1112 at aol dot com (no spaces and real dot)

I did not get a discount- but I have had my travel agent for years and as soon as a sale/ price drop happens she will get that price for me

My last cruise I was able to get it down by about $2000 (with the perks they gave me) (Panama Canal)

Princess did tell her it would sell out fast (and I believe it)

Have you been on Hurtigruten? It definitely doesn't sound like the usual cruise experience.

Yes. Hurtigruten sends a ferry or two to Antarctica during the winter. The ship holds about 350 pax and we were broken up into 4 groups. Group A went ashore first at the first stop, followed by groups B, C and D as pax from each preceding group returned to the ship.

At the second stop Group B went ashore first.

We liked the fact they don't use Zodiacs but small motor boats instead. Easier to get into and out of.

Food was excellent. And went we went there was a self-serve ice cream freezer :D

Yes. Hurtigruten sends a ferry or two to Antarctica during the winter. The ship holds about 350 pax and we were broken up into 4 groups. Group A went ashore first at the first stop, followed by groups B, C and D as pax from each preceding group returned to the ship.

At the second stop Group B went ashore first.

We liked the fact they don't use Zodiacs but small motor boats instead. Easier to get into and out of.

Food was excellent. And went we went there was a self-serve ice cream freezer :D

The ships used in Arctic/Antarctic waters are NOT "ferries." They are ice rated polar expedition ships. Fram is a wonderful expedition ship and holds about 200 explorers. Midnatsol is larger and can carry 350. The new polar ice rated ships coming in 2019 are very modern designs eco-friendly and also dedicated to polar exploration. Additionally, Antarctic travel is conducted during the souther SUMMER, not winter.

The ships used in Arctic/Antarctic waters are NOT "ferries." They are ice rated polar expedition ships. Fram is a wonderful expedition ship and holds about 200 explorers. Midnatsol is larger and can carry 350. The new polar ice rated ships coming in 2019 are very modern designs eco-friendly and also dedicated to polar exploration. Additionally, Antarctic travel is conducted during the souther SUMMER, not winter.

I certainly wasn't clear ... the ships go south during the NORTHERN winter ... yes southern summer.

And the ship we were on, the MS Nordnorge is a ferry, or at least was used that way. The car deck was used to store thePolarcirkel boats used for landings.

And I just looked her up. Looks like she is not used as a ferry anymore but strictly as an expedition ship. We went a bunch of years ago.

So I guess we are both right :)

(Sorry about the formatting ... don't know what I did)

I'd love to do this cruise again, although prices seem a bit steep: the 16-day cruises in 2019/20 are nearly double what I paid for a 20-day cruise in 2010. I'll probably just wait and see if prices drop closer to the sailing date.

2010 was in the midst of the Great Recession and fares overall were lower then. Take heart, though. There's still plenty of time for the economy to crash before the end of 2019! :D

I’m sure you will have a good cruise on Princess. In my experience sailing both Princess and HAL in South America and Antarctica, the HAL cruise was exponentially better. My HAL cruise is still one of my all-time top three cruises. Much better overall experience, particularly in ports.

Pam,

you've really piqued my interest with your comment. Can you give an example or two of the difference between Princess and HAL in S. American and Antarctica? I would have expected them to be more similar than not.

Thanks,

Mary

Pam,

you've really piqued my interest with your comment. Can you give an example or two of the difference between Princess and HAL in S. American and Antarctica? I would have expected them to be more similar than not.

Thanks,

Mary

My TA has also said the HAL experience in SA is better than Princess. I've compared itineraries and the biggest difference I spot is the amount of time sailing the Chilean fjords

since you've been any hints or suggestions?

A few;

If making landings by Zodiac,

wear loose fitting clothing.

Do not over dress.

We wore thermal under

wear.

Water proof, light, pants

We were given a coat,

which was quite warm

We took our own boots

Knee high.

Wear sun glasses

Enjoy -- It is a trip of

a life time.

As was mentioned, we made

four landings.

Rotated, so each group was

to be first to land.

Edited by FolksOfMeans - ByNoMeans

Pam,

Thanks,

Mary

I think the main difference for South America is that the Zaandam is smaller than the Princess ships doing these itineraries and goes to some ports that bigger cruise ships don't go to and can also go into parts of the fjords that larger cruises ships don't. We had a great time on the Zaandam last November there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree about not over dressing. We also took lightweight long underwear which we wore under supplex pants which we wore under rain proof pants.

Don't forget a scarf hat and gloves. We also took wool socks and on the hurtigruten ship they provided boots but I don't know if they still do.

The key is to layer.

A few;

If making landings by Zodiac,

wear loose fitting clothing.

Do not over dress.

We wore thermal under

wear.

Water proof, light, pants

We were given a coat,

which was quite warm

We took our own boots

Knee high.

Wear sun glasses

Enjoy -- It is a trip of

a life time.

As was mentioned, we made

four landings.

Rotated, so each group was

to be first to land.

Understand that by treaty, no ship with more than 500 pax (viz. all of Princess' ships) may

land pax on the continent. If you're on Princess, it's strictly a sail-by voyage.

I do not know about what on-board enrichment opportunities are offered on Princess, but on the Zaandam the 3 professional scientists aboard provided interesting, informative Power Point presentations and had created a display in the Crow's Nest with many charts/maps and a replica of an Antarctic campsite. This added to my enjoyment of the experience and was unexpected by me.