Information requested on Capt Cook Hotel, Anchorage

4x4bob

In two weeks we will be staying at the Capt Cook Hotel prior to boarding the Star. Would like to hear from those who have stayed their pre or post cruise.

Any recomendations on rooms or where to eat, etc.

Was the Princess Point of Contact located in the Lobby or do they have an office in the Hotel?

How easy was the transfer from the Hotel to the train? Any thing to watch out for?

Also, did any of you who did stay here, shop at the Brown Jug across the street. We are planning to pick up two bottles of wine to take on the ship, do they have a good selection?

Thanks

Bob

I stayed at the Captain Cook for one night after my HAL cruise last summer. The hotel is really nice and it's easy to walk anywhere downtown. My transfer to the airport was handled well. Our info desk was on the first floor.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

Rooms are nice. The hotel is centrally located downtown with lots of places to eat nearby. Snow City Cafe, Glacier Brewhouse, Humpys, 49th State, Pangea, and Ginger are all great restaurants where we have eaten in the past. The art gallery in the hotel is pretty interesting.

The Princess desk is located on the first floor.

Transfer to the train is very easy and quick. They have it down to a science. You get picked up from the hotel the driver doubles back on the road and brings you directly to your train car. You leave the bus and show your ID to the train staff and are onboard. From walking onto the bus to boarding the train is about 15 minutes. One time we left the hotel and the driver was told to delay so he gave us a great 15 minute tour of downtown as well.

That Brown Jug is not the biggest liquor store. But they know who their market is during the summer and the selection is good.

Meals in the Capt. Cook can be pricey. Go past the front desk and out the side door. There is a coffee shop across the street on the corner that is inexpensive. This was in 2013, I don't know if it's still there. Good luck!

The hotel is great - it has dark wood, with a nautical theme in the lobby.

It depends on what type of food you want. I like Glacier Brewhouse for dinner. I would call and make a reservation as it can be busy. Snow City cafe is a good breakfast spot - both close to the hotel.

Thanks to those who responded to my questions. I always appreciate information that I can gather before going someplace.

And, others who read this thread will also gather information from your posts.

Bob