Hotels used when Southampton is the Embarkation port?

RMS Olympic

i have booked the 2019 Encore transatlantic. There is no hotel package available at this time...too early for prices I assume. Has anyone used NCL hotels in the UK in the past...if so which hotels? Just trying to figure out the typical offering, whether it’s actually in London or the cruise port.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

i have booked the 2019 Encore transatlantic. There is no hotel package available at this time...too early for prices I assume. Has anyone used NCL hotels in the UK in the past...if so which hotels? Just trying to figure out the typical offering, whether it’s actually in London or the cruise port.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

I am planning to stay at the Holiday Inn property in Southampton.

When I did the Transatlantic on The Getaway, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. It came with a transfer to Southampton and the ship.

We always stay in London and do some sightseeing. On day of cruise, we catch a taxi to Waterloo train station in London and there is a direct Southwest train that takes you to Southampton (with a short taxi ride to the port).

We stayed in the Premier Inn in Southampton. it's a typical chain Holiday Inn type but is very clean, has a good breakfast. It's next to a large mall and one block up from the water. Depending on where the ship is docked, it may be within walking distance. Also nice location for walking around Southampton

According to some of the people on the distinct voyages cruises, NCL doesn't actually have any Southampton hotels (according to the NCL customer line). You may find it easier to make your own arrangements. There are a couple of ones regularly used by cruisers along the west quay - details are in the ports of call forum.

Well I’m actually hoping NCL offers a hotel in London so I can ride the Eye like a good tourist. If not I’ll book something at the port. Thanks for the Southampton hotels...I’ll look them up on line.

Well I’m actually hoping NCL offers a hotel in London so I can ride the Eye like a good tourist. If not I’ll book something at the port. Thanks for the Southampton hotels...I’ll look them up on line.

The Ports of Call/Europe/Britain board has frequent discussions of hotels in Southampton. You'll find a handful regularly recommended. It's a relatively small town...

Is there any reason you feel the need for an NCL-arranged hotel in London, with so many that you could book on your own? It would be a shame to miss some time in London since you'll be flying all that way...

We stayed at the Dolphin House Serviced Apartments in London, which was a fairly affordable, very nice hotel in a great location for touring London. We spent the day of our transfer stopping at the Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge on the way to Southampton, which was lovely. The people at http://www.salisburystonehengetours.co.uk provided us with an outstanding tour.

• 4 months later...
I stayed in a London near Victoria Station and took the bus to Southampton the morning of embarkation. Very easy....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be staying near Victoria Station for our cruise & I'm curious about the bus you took to Southampton. Are reservations needed? Would appreciate any info

We'll be staying near Victoria Station for our cruise & I'm curious about the bus you took to Southampton. Are reservations needed? Would appreciate any info

I live close to Southampton, the bus is regular, reasonable cost and reliable. make an online reservation to be safe.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

The bus takes you to the central bus station in Southampton which is very close to the railway station and just a few minutes taxi to your cruise.

When booking the bus check the duration of the journey as some are quick busses and others are slow busses (making lots of stops on the way), sometimes better to take an earlier one than you need for the better journey time.

The faster train to Southampton from London goes from Waterloo station. An alternative is that there are a number of direct trains daily to Southampton from Victoria station (takes a bit longer than the Waterloo train).....buy in advance or on the day. I personally would take the train, rather than risk the London traffic.

Put your date into thetrainline.com for prices/times etc.

We stayed at the Dolphin House Serviced Apartments in London, which was a fairly affordable, very nice hotel in a great location for touring London. We spent the day of our transfer stopping at the Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge on the way to Southampton, which was lovely. The people at www.salisburystonehengetours.co.uk provided us with an outstanding tour.

Salisbury Cathedral has a spire 123 metres tall and is famous for its clock.;p

There are several reasonably priced hotels in Southampton. Just book as soon as possible because prices do definitely increase due to demand when there are several ships in port.

Here's a suggested list of standard chain hotels.

Jurys Inn

Premier Inn West Quay

Premier Inn Cumberland Place (new)

Premier Inn City Centre

Holiday Inn

Novotel

Ibis

Individual unique hotels

Ennios at Town Quay (boutique hotel & restaurant)

Southampton Harbour Hotel (new property part of Harbour Hotels group)

Cargo

The Pig - in the wall (a boutique hotel located in the medieval city walls)

As Coolcruiser has suggested, the train is preferable than the coach for some including me, but some people prefer the coach rather than the train.

However, the Encore T/A is way ahead and cheap train tickets are only available 12 weeks in advance. Do a dummy run on the trainline web site and you will be amazed at the difference in ticket prices.

There are several reasonably priced hotels in Southampton. Just book as soon as possible because prices do definitely increase due to demand when there are several ships in port.

Individual unique hotels

Ennios at Town Quay (boutique hotel & restaurant)

Southampton Harbour Hotel (new property part of Harbour Hotels group)

Cargo

The Pig - in the wall (a boutique hotel located in the medieval city walls)

Last May we stayed at Grand Harbour Hotel. It was fine. Great location. We spent most of our time at The Pig in the Wall for food and drinks. Would stay there for sure next time.

I just got back from a British Isles cruise and we stayed in London because the holiday inn and premier inn at Southampton were not available. We stayed at the Comfort Inn buckingham palace which was 2 blocks from Victoria Station and 1 block from the Victoria Coach station.

We precooked and reserved on the National Express website the 2 front seats about 2 months in advance for 7£ each. We booked the 9:00 bus so that if we missed it, there would be 2 more buses before all aboard. We usually don’t pay the extra 2£ to reserve the seats but wanted sit in the front row for once.

I’ve taken the train before but prefer to not worry about my luggage as it’s in the “hold” on the bus. On the train, it’s held on a rack near the exit and you have to keep an eye on it. It’s also a pain if the luggage rack is full by the time you get onboard. On trains without racks you keep them by your feet.