Just finished Alaska Inside Passage (Glaicer Bay) on Ruby

TrueNorth21

Just finished 7-day Alaskan cruise Inside Passage (Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria BC). Be happy to answer any questions the best I can!

Was there an escape room on board your sailing and if so, do you know when the signup was held?

Hi Thrak, Anthony actually was on the first Ruby Princess cruise to Alaska a few weeks ago, those were more my interpretation of his words ,than his words. He was just stating that they were very disorganized and things weren't very clear on where to leave the ship at port. He was extremely kind to post all the patters that I was looking for someone to post and answered many questions everyone had.:)

I can confirm as we were on the first cruise of the season. Decks were not always identified, wrong decks were given once, and the decks changed once because of tides. But, it was all good. We didn’t miss anything and delays were no more than five minutes.

Forgot to ask.....how was the pizza??

I thought the pizza was decent. I've seen a lot of people complaining on the boards about it, but I was quite surprised. They had cheese and pepperoni everyday and a 3rd "special" of the day.

Was there an escape room on board your sailing and if so, do you know when the signup was held?

There was an escape room. Found out about it halfway through the cruise. Talked to a couple who said there was a small notice on the first days patter about it and it filled up within a few hours.

There's an Italian night on an Alaska cruise? Really??

Do you remember what night Italian was in the MDR?

Also, when you arrived in port, do you remember what areas of the ship they opened to get off?

I ask this because a recent cruiser. Anthony stated that it was very much in disarray and nobody knew where people were allowed to get off the ship. and I'm traveling with a mobility limited guest.

Thank you and hope you had a fantastic trip.!!!

And did you see any whales or bears?

There was an escape room. Found out about it halfway through the cruise. Talked to a couple who said there was a small notice on the first days patter about it and it filled up within a few hours.

Thanks

Thay is what I keeping hearing.

Wait, WTH is an “escape room”?

Here is a post from another thread from a few days ago.

We were lucky enough to be one of the eight teams that signed up for and participated in the Escape Room on the Regal repositioning cruise Oct 26th. It was held in what I believe was the chapel, and quite fun. Their game was Escape in 30 minutes or less. Being experienced escapers, we did it in 14 minutes. As mentioned, you search the room for clues, solve puzzles, which will open devices giving you access to keys or more clues etc. that you must solve in a particular order to succeed. As someone mentioned, they were quite the fad in the last few year, but seem to be fading from popularity. Our Escape Room AK business in Fairbanks keeps interest high by changing the themes of the rooms every few months.

There's an Italian night on an Alaska cruise? Really??
I believe it is an homage to the Sitmar heritage of Princess. There has been an Italian night on almost every Princess cruise whether in Alaska, a California Coastal, Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean, the Panama Canal, South America, the Baltics, or the Mediterranean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on this cruise and just to set the record straight with 2/3rds of the pax being newbies there was confusion everywhere...but enthusiasm too. It was a great cruise and a nice group of Pax.

Announcements were not that plentiful for disembarkation....how is one to hear them if they are in their cabin?

There were line ups especially for Victoria and total disorganization for a couple of ports. The lines Reminded me of Immigration in Korea on a recent Majestic cruise, with staff members making hap hazard decisions on where people should line up. Now if you came 10 minutes earlier or 20 minutes later you might have missed it all...

Each cruise and group of pax is different...so one can really not predict, what to expect.

Yes, signs were in the stairwells, but 2 were pointing to the wrong directions....:eek:

Also if you are taking the ship's transfer be ready for a long walk , elevator ride and wait......

I and my son did do the Escape room on the May 12, Ruby cruise. Sign ups were from 12-2pm on embarkation day. We were given a time and tickets after the fact for 5:45pm Glacier Bay Day. As others have stated it is in the chapel, but we met at a bar..and proceeded from there. Ana was our host. It had a different twist to other escape rooms I have done, which I enjoyed. There were 6 of us, 3, 30 somethings and 3 above 50, we all wanted to "escape" so quickly became a team, and a "leader" was determined after the first few minutes, generally a person who has done an escape room before, as they naturally take the lead.If you think outside the box you will solve the "mystery" rather quickly.

If you are not good at quickly making decisions and taking direction then this might not be something for you. 4 of us were participating and 2 immediately, sat out and watched. This often happens in escape rooms when people find out what is involved. Most of our problem solving was done by sitting or kneeling on the floor......as this increased our speed.

It was fun.....but it certainly isn't a must do.....but if you are curious go for it......and hope someone in your group has done an escape room before..it really helps....

Announcements were not that plentiful for disembarkation....how is one to hear them if they are in their cabin?

I would not expect to hear announcements about disembarkation on that final morning as Princess has "quiet" disembarkation.

Each passenger is told where and at what time to report for disembarkation. An announcement is made in that location when it is time for that group to leave the ship.

Prior to this cruise I had been on the Ruby for a Pacific Coastal ending on April 7th......I was the first group to experience the "enhanced" menu and very slow service in the MDR. I am happy to say in 5 weeks things have greatly improved as far as service and food delivery goes...it was excellent in Any Time. Also our room attendant was exceptional. The staff was friendly and very upbeat.

My only Alaska cruise was 20 years ago.....so I did not know what to expect...but was presently surprised with the" Alaska experience" Princess provided. One bonus we did have great weather. And blue sky for Glacier viewing.

We did 3 wonderful excursions.

In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge feast & float plane.it did rain but that did not dampen our spirit. The glaciers were really impressive when viewed from the plane. Meal very good, hiking nice and we did "met" Grandma bear.....we also went on the tram later in the day and got stuck, those eagles can be trouble makers....:D

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2018-05-14/eagle-drops-debris-juneau-residents-lose-power

Skagway..was the Chilkoot hike and float down the Taiya river.

Ketchican,was snorkeling what a blast, but that 7mm suit was difficult to get on and off.

Victoria just took the shuttle into town I think it was 13 pp RT.

I found the itinerary to be perfect for a 7 day RT cruise and hours in every port just right.

We did rock and roll that first sea day..but no big.....

for those that are going on Ruby this summer you will have a wonderful time.

I would not expect to hear announcements about disembarkation on that final morning as Princess has "quiet" disembarkation.

Each passenger is told where and at what time to report for disembarkation. An announcement is made in that location when it is time for that group to leave the ship.

disembarking in the ports..

Either Anthony wasn't on a Princess ship or he may be on heavy drugs - or overindulged the beverage package. There are always announcements as to the disembarkation location and then there are also always signs in the hallways near the stairwells and elevators. It would be pretty difficult to not be able to figure out where to disembark.

I can understand why remarks of that sort might make you concerned about getting off in ports with a mobility impaired person but I really don't think it will be an issue. Princess makes it very clear where to go. Relax and enjoy your cruise. I wish I was cruising soon but don't have another booked until November. (My wife reserves the summer months for our land trips and I have to say she does a fantastic job of figuring them out.)

I would take the time to check with Princess. When we were in Victoria, tree crew kept changing the exits. At first the signage was accurate and then later in the day I followed the signs only to be sent to another floor by security. It would have been nice to have a schedule as to which decks were available for exit and entry as it changed several times during the long day in port.

Also, be ready for the schedule to change. We were sent to our bus 25minutes early and then had to wait on some passengers who were not in the designated lounge for the announcement. Can’t blame them as we were ‘moved’ well before the designated time.

I was on the repositioning and hope that they have the hiccups I’ve mentioned in this thread worked out. The changing exits and times were a bit disorganized and I felt that they had too many people who were able to make these decisions. I felt the disembarkation was disorganized and rushed. We only had 1 port day.

Do you know what post-cruise excursions were offered for Seattle the day you returned? Our flight doesn't leave until 5:45 so we have a good part of the day to do something rather than sit at SeaTac but don't want to rent a car.

Thanks.

Do you know what post-cruise excursions were offered for Seattle the day you returned? Our flight doesn't leave until 5:45 so we have a good part of the day to do something rather than sit at SeaTac but don't want to rent a car.

Thanks.

If your cruise is this summer, you should be able to see disembarkation day excursions in your personalizer.

Otherwise, go to shore excursions in the genral section on Princess and select your disembarkation port to see what might be offered.

Skagway..was the Chilkoot hike and float down the Taiya river.

Ketchican,was snorkeling what a blast, but that 7mm suit was difficult to get on and off.

Hi! Was your Skagway excursion through Princess or independently booked? Also: could you share a bit more about the Ketchican snorkeling? A lot of sea life or not too much? (I know it's totally diff than caribbean/keys, but I'm just wondering how much you see: is it worth the money and 7mm suit ordeal? :DWe love snorkeling, but would rather skip and do something diff if it's more of an okay vs great.