Galapagos Celebrity vs Lindblad

Fogfog

I'm glad that your still happy with your selection but Celebrity isn't perfect and there are other options. For true 7-day itineraries the experiences will be much the same because all of the ships go to similar locations with independent guides.

Please report back to us after you've actually traveled to the Galapagos islands.

Of course Celebrity isn't perfect - that's exactly why we explored other options!

Since you have actually been to the Galapagos with Celebrity, what do you think they should have done differently to improve your experience? (other than choose a different port or origination) And why did you choose them initially?

Of the different loops--southern/inner/outer etc

Which is preferred?

Was surprised that some of the cruise options had so few real touring days (3/4) of a 7 day cruise instead of say 10 day cruises and seeing more

I did a lot of research before booking the Xpedition and the two available loops seemed roughly similar. I would figure out things you're most interested in - snorkeling, for example - and see which routing has the best snorkeling locations. In our case, we really wanted to see the winged albatrosses breeding on Española, so that decided it. And if you are into snorkeling, the season makes a difference.

Anyway, much as I loved the Galapagos, after nine days I felt I'd seen quite enough iguanas for the rest of my life. But YMMV.

Incidentally, we flew into Ecuador on our own and spent time in Quito and Cuenca before flying on our own to Baltra and spending a couple of days in Puerto Ayora for a couple of days before the cruise. There's a lot to see on Santa Cruz Island, so it was totally worth it.

And, by the way, I thought X did a brilliant job.

And, also by the way, we booked as soon as the sailing became available. After that the fares spiraled steadily upward. And upward.

Edited by shepp

Of course Celebrity isn't perfect - that's exactly why we explored other options!

Since you have actually been to the Galapagos with Celebrity, what do you think they should have done differently to improve your experience? (other than choose a different port or origination) And why did you choose them initially?

First, the trip was great and met all of our expectations. However, it really shouldn't be compared to any other Celebrity cruise. The best analogy is: think of it as flying on a regional airline instead of the planes on a major carrier. The ship and all of the operations are operated by Ecuadorian people using Ecuadorian supplies. The internet system was not operational on our trip and we were not able to keep in contact with people at home, if that is important to you. The food is fine but is not the same quality as other Celebrity ships and you might not find your favorite beer. The excursions are probably similar to other tour operations because many follow set paths along marked walkways to minimize the impact on the islands. It is likely little that there is little Celebrity could do to change the excursions because they are controlled by the government. The nightly briefings about the next days activities are a little chaotic because they are conducted in a lounge area that doesn't have a good sound system and a small video screen. The last day was our least favorite. It was spent going to the turtle research center, having lunch at a local party hall and planting a few small plants in the rainforest.

First, the trip was great and met all of our expectations. However, it really shouldn't be compared to any other Celebrity cruise. The best analogy is: think of it as flying on a regional airline instead of the planes on a major carrier. The ship and all of the operations are operated by Ecuadorian people using Ecuadorian supplies. The internet system was not operational on our trip and we were not able to keep in contact with people at home, if that is important to you. The food is fine but is not the same quality as other Celebrity ships and you might not find your favorite beer. The excursions are probably similar to other tour operations because many follow set paths along marked walkways to minimize the impact on the islands. It is likely little that there is little Celebrity could do to change the excursions because they are controlled by the government. The nightly briefings about the next days activities are a little chaotic because they are conducted in a lounge area that doesn't have a good sound system and a small video screen. The last day was our least favorite. It was spent going to the turtle research center, having lunch at a local party hall and planting a few small plants in the rainforest.

Thanks for the insights! The Xpedition is going into drydock prior to our sailing - maybe a few "bugs" will be worked out with the internet and sound system.