Late (transatlantic) flight out of Heathrow

I'm taking an Independence cruise in about two months. After the cruise, the ship gets back into Southampton at 5:30am. Not sure how early they'll want me off the ship, but the cruise line is transferring me back to Heathrow. If I can, I'm planning on checking in for my flight online the night before while onboard. Let's say it takes about an hour and a half to get from the cruise terminal to Heathrow T5. I'm flying to Newark through BA, and that doesn't leave until around 4:45pm. That must mean that if have to check in at the airport, it wouldn't open until maybe 1:45pm. Same would go for the bag drop.

I'm flying premium economy for maybe 8 hours, so that would arrive around 7:30pm US Eastern time. Since I don't trust airline food, eating at one of the restaurants in this terminal is in my plans. If not before, then after going through security. As far as I've heard, Terminal 5 is enormous, so assuming I'll be in this airport all day, how else would you pass time?

P.S. I haven't flown in over a year, and never transatlantic, so I'm also incredibly nervous...

Have you considered doing a ship tour?

Normally offer either Stonehenge or Windsor with airport drop off.

Pete.

I don't think so, because we already purchased a transfer straight to the airport through the cruise line.

I don't think so, because we already purchased a transfer straight to the airport through the cruise line.

You should be able to cancel the direct transfer and book the excursion. I'd call the cruise line and see if they'll let you do that if you wish. We had a 3:30 flight out of Heathrow after a Baltics cruise a few years ago. We purchased a direct transfer through the cruise line. By the time we got to the airport and cleared security, it was past noon & gave us enough time to have some lunch and relax before the long flight back to ORD.

You should be able to cancel the direct transfer and book the excursion. I'd call the cruise line and see if they'll let you do that if you wish. We had a 3:30 flight out of Heathrow after a Baltics cruise a few years ago. We purchased a direct transfer through the cruise line. By the time we got to the airport and cleared security, it was past noon & gave us enough time to have some lunch and relax before the long flight back to ORD.

Well, I'd have to talk to our travel agent about that.

You could also consider doing a post cruise stay for a few days in London. That will be our plan, but we are 14 months away for ours.

Also look at International Friends. They may be less than a ship tour.

SadmanCruiser, love the avatar. Benny Hill was one of my all time favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check in and bag drop for BA at Heathrow will be available any time you want that day, there isn’t an X hours before limit. If you’re definitely just heading to the airport book a lounge pass and hang out in there for the day. The last Heathrow one I went in had food, drinks, showers, a TV room, some of the lounges do have a time limit when they are busy so check the details before you book.

BA has desks open all day. You should be able to check in at any time.

You could check in, and then head back into London on your own.

Or there are many hotels around Heathrow that have day rooms. Just take the shuttle to the hotel chain of your choice and ask for a day room. I have done so many times at both the Marriott and Renaissance there.

There is also a Yotel in, I think T4. Yotel has rooms, that are small, but functional. But not somewhere I would want to spend time if not sleeping.

T5 is HUGE with a lot of shops. It does have eating venues, but I am not sure about real restaurants (I have lounge privileges on most airlines).

But again, you can use the Heathrow Express to get into London in about 15 minutes each way.

Check in and bag drop for BA at Heathrow will be available any time you want that day, there isn’t an X hours before limit. If you’re definitely just heading to the airport book a lounge pass and hang out in there for the day. The last Heathrow one I went in had food, drinks, showers, a TV room, some of the lounges do have a time limit when they are busy so check the details before you book.

This is a good idea. BA terminal 5 ASPIRE lounge is one you can book, 3 hour time limit but rarely checked.

Check on line before you book that this is the right terminal for your flight and is suitable..

free drinks, snacks papers etc also check out discount sites and Heathrow airport for any offers on price.

hope it helps j