Crab Shack?

tt_moore

It looks like it is held in the Horizon Court. (NB on Island)

Yet has a specialty dining charge. What the details......

Reservations needed?

Is it any good?

Is it seperated from buffet? Not interested in paying specialty dining fee for buffet environment. Do they do anything to make it nicer?

Thanks

It looks like it is held in the Horizon Court. (NB on Island)

Yet has a specialty dining charge. What the details......

Reservations needed?

Is it any good?

Is it seperated from buffet? Not interested in paying specialty dining fee for buffet environment. Do they do anything to make it nicer?

Thanks

Reservations, yes. The seating is separated from the rest of the buffet by sheer curtains. You won't be looking at the rest of the folks eating in the buffet. The seating takes the entire starboard side of the buffet and ends before the beverage station.

We didn't eat there ourselves so someone else will need to chime in on that one.

On the just completed northbound Island sailing it was held once, on Sunday night (Skagway port day). I would describe the room dividers as more opaque rather than sheer, but ether way you will be seated in the window tables on the starboard side of the buffet. The day's Patter implied bookings were still available but I would say advance reservations are essential; one man who I witness inquiring of the host that evening throw a full-on toddler tantrum when told the night was fully booked.

So if interested call the dine line on embarkation day to confirm the date(s) offered and book if you wish. Personally I enjoyed crab shack on Ruby a few years ago (when it was only $19). But on an Alaska cruise--especially on Island northbound with all three port calls stretching beyond the dinner hour--for a pittance more than $29 you can get much larger portions of much fresher crab ashore.

We did it on our last cruise on the Royal. Essentially as described for the room. Plenty of food as they kept offering more crab. I’m spoiled by Dungeness in CA so I was not overwhelmed by the taste or presentation. Probably would not do it again but know some people liked it a lot more than we did.

On the Emerald they held it in Cafe Caribe so it was more private - they closed seating in Cafe Caribe that evening for Crab Shack only. We did not go, but others I talked to enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it buffet or table side delivery? Thanks for all the input so far

Table side delivery with waiters dressed in nautical motif. First course of clam chowder, there may be a salad option, I don’t remember. Second course is the main where there are three or four options as to crab and other items. I did mostly king legs. Here is where they offer more if you so desire. Lastly a selection of desserts which were fair but you can always leave and pick up a dessert at the buffet or the IC. Coffee, tea included. It was a B+ experience, especially as I was loaded up on OBC.

It was an enjoyable experience for us with lots of food to do one time when it was $19.

Now that it’s the same $29 as the Crown Grill or Sabatini’s we haven’t gone again to the Crab Shack. And on our cruises since the price increase there have been fewer nights with the Crab Shack. We routinely see a waitstaff member dressed as a crab walking around Lido deck & the buffet to find passengers to make a reservation.

We did it on Ruby once. I was a bit underwhelmed because it was just upstairs, and if I'm going to pay more I'd like a better atmosphere. Sorry if that sounds bad! Food was fine. But I'd rather go to the Grille or Sabatini's for a different meal than the dining room. Others really like it, so it's all opinion, like everyone on this board!

My DH is a seafood lover, I am not, for us to go to the Crab Shack wouldn't make any sense, unless they offer a non seafood entree, which I haven't heard of.

I’ve read posts from passengers who were allowed to have one passenger purchase the Crab Shack menu & the other passenger get food from the buffet and to eat together.

On regal they have it every other night using the rear seating area in horizon court on the port side. Access to Horizon court and crab shack entrance from the aft elevators is from the starboard side only as to avoid a high traffic corridor through the crab shack. It looked to be the busiest of the Specialty restaurants as it was busy compared to other ones every time I walk by

I’ve read posts from passengers who were allowed to have one passenger purchase the Crab Shack menu & the other passenger get food from the buffet and to eat together.

Thanks, next cruise I will ask at the podium, shame for DH to miss out on his crab legs

The menu starts with popcorn shrimp and hush puppies followed by Manhattan style clam chowder and then your entree. You will have an option of four to five different buckets which includes potato and corn on the cob with the seafood. Desserts vary and are several of the selections offered at the buffet that evening. We did it twice at $19 but with the increase the $29 we haven’t done it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums