Benefit of booking your next cruise while onboard

I'm exploring my options for cruising solo in fall of 2019. What are the benefits of booking my next cruise while I'm onboard this October? Or is there some other kind of promotion or incentive I can benefit from while onboard?

I book all of our longer cruises on the ship just to get the OBC. for Short cruises, doesn't really matter since you don't usually get any OBC anyway. But I always check as I did get OBC for booking on the ship for a few of our short cruises coming up.

I don't really care about the deposit b/c I have to pay the price at some point anyway. If I get a reduced deposit fine, if not, no big deal. Right now Royal has a lot of my money since I have about 15 cruises booked at the moment!:'):'):'):cool::cool::cool:

Related to this: I told my TA I wanted to book another cruise when I go on the Allure in Sep., but wasn't 100% sure yet on the date. She said I could buy what I guess is like a gift card or credit to use on any RC cruise within a year of purchase. My question: Has anyone else heard of this credit and do you still enjoy the benefits (Extra savings or OBC) that you would if you booked a solid date and ship?

I always book on board then transfer to my cruise agent. I’ll get OBC from both. Except......on our last cruise Royal game me $200 OBC and my agent gave me $200 plus paid gratuities. The $200 from my TA showed up but not Royal OBC. Went to customer service and they sent an email to the main office. The next day I was told that they took their OBC back because the TA put us in a group booking and it was less expensive. I also book another cruise onboard and they did the same think as the last one.

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to be reading peoples thoughts since I am interested in booking a cruise for next fall while on my trip in December. I've never booked through a travel agent, so I am not sure which has more benefits.

Related to this: I told my TA I wanted to book another cruise when I go on the Allure in Sep., but wasn't 100% sure yet on the date. She said I could buy what I guess is like a gift card or credit to use on any RC cruise within a year of purchase. My question: Has anyone else heard of this credit and do you still enjoy the benefits (Extra savings or OBC) that you would if you booked a solid date and ship?

That is called a Next Cruise Certificate, and they are no longer sold.

Hi Bob,

Can you refresh my memory or give me a link on transferring an NDN to another ship and sailing. do you lose the OBC in addition to paying the penalty?

My understanding is that you keep the OBC from booking on board.

Booked a balcony on 18 day Ovation in April, 2020, got $300 in OBC. Was told while on board that since I turned platinum on the cruise on the Mariner, as soon as I become Platinum on the books, about 2 weeks after the cruise ended I should call and receive a reduction in price from the Platinum benefits. Called after 3 weeks, was told it did not happen yet, but they would force it to platinum in the next 24 hours. So I board the Anthem tomorrow hoping to be able to benefit from being platinum on the cruise and also going to see about getting said fare reduction. Will report back what happens.

While it’s nice to have some OBC, We don’t usually bother any longer. We used to do the future cruise certificate option where you can leave it open, but since that’s done away with, I just don’t see the point unless we would be booking something for the shorter term and I absolutely know I wouldn’t change it. That’s just me though.

Out of curiosity, are you considering the solo cruise based on Hucifers “Allure: Confessions of a Solo Passenger?” If so, you aren’t alone as I admit it has peaked my interest in giving it a try one day. If not, I HIGHLY suggest you read the entire thread! It’s a fantastic read that make you LOL many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booked a balcony on 18 day Ovation in April, 2020, got $300 in OBC. Was told while on board that since I turned platinum on the cruise on the Mariner, as soon as I become Platinum on the books, about 2 weeks after the cruise ended I should call and receive a reduction in price from the Platinum benefits. Called after 3 weeks, was told it did not happen yet, but they would force it to platinum in the next 24 hours. So I board the Anthem tomorrow hoping to be able to benefit from being platinum on the cruise and also going to see about getting said fare reduction. Will report back what happens.

So when we checked in 5/31 We were still gold, so I went to guest services the first sea day and they sent me to the loyalty desk. He fixed it, but then I had to go back to the guest services to get new cards and have our lapel pins delivered to our cabin. Went to next cruise, but they said they cannot fix it, have to talk on the phone to RCI, so I went back to guest services and put the call through for me. I was told I could have an additional $100 OBC and it would no change the cruise price nor the $300 OBC I got from booking on the ship. Emailed me a new invoice, just openned it and the OBC shows my $100 loyalty OBC, but the original $300 is gone. Sounds like more calls when I get off the ship.