We booked Oceania...question for those who have been on the larger "mass market" ship

AlaskaNewbie68

We booked the Captivating Treasures cruise for Feb. 2019. Amazingly, when we started adding in all the "extras" for a cruise on RC it was quite close to the cost of O...to me, it was a no-brainer. My only cruise experience was in my 20s (about 23 years ago) on Carnival. In two weeks, we go on HAL to Alaska (SO excited) on Westerdam. On my cruise over 20 years ago, I had no seasickness. I do get sick on small whale watch type boats, but take meclizine and I'm fine. I am wondering what kind of difference can be expected in "movement" from an 80,000 ton ship to 60,000.

Thank you!

everyone reacts differently to the motion of the ocean

it will depend on the seas

I get sick on the ferry but in our sailboat it was never an issue

just take seasick meds with you in case you need them

We booked the Captivating Treasures cruise for Feb. 2019. Amazingly, when we started adding in all the "extras" for a cruise on RC it was quite close to the cost of O...to me, it was a no-brainer. My only cruise experience was in my 20s (about 23 years ago) on Carnival. In two weeks, we go on HAL to Alaska (SO excited) on Westerdam. On my cruise over 20 years ago, I had no seasickness. I do get sick on small whale watch type boats, but take meclizine and I'm fine. I am wondering what kind of difference can be expected in "movement" from an 80,000 ton ship to 60,000.

Thank you!

No difference.

Enjoy your cruise.

Westerdam04-CdeB.jpg

oceaniamarina.jpg

The O Ships are smaller, but you won't notice any difference in the ride between them and the Vista class HAL ships.

What you will notice is no crowds, better food, better service, and a more dignified ambience.

Hi AN,

Don't worry.

You'll have a great time.

My Lady Wife and I have visited AK on much smaller ships.

Ira

(The Westerdam is an 80k ton vessel)

Edited by I_r_a

Westerdam04-CdeB.jpg

oceaniamarina.jpg

The O Ships are smaller, but you won't notice any difference in the ride between them and the Vista class HAL ships.

What you will notice is no crowds, better food, better service, and a more dignified ambience.

you will get all that and more ,like a fully served buffet not a self serve cafeteria.

Westerdam04-CdeB.jpg

oceaniamarina.jpg

you will get all that and more ,like a fully served buffet not a self serve cafeteria.

HAL does not allow self service at their buffet either.

We had self serve in the salad area, rolls & the cheese plates were self serve on the Eurodam

They also had ready made sandwiches sitting out for the taking

We had self serve in the salad area, rolls & the cheese plates were self serve on the Eurodam

Oops, my mistake. That is different than what it was when we were on the Noordam. But it has been several years.

Oops, my mistake. That is different than what it was when we were on the Noordam. But it has been several years.

maybe depends on the ship then

people could also select the desserts from the counter shelf unit

Thank you!

I've luckily never gotten sea sick. We did find Riviera to rock a lot more than the Eclipse. Still it never bothered me. I found the Queen Victoria to rock more than any ship I've been on. I hear Vista class ships(of which the QV is one)tend to rock more than ships of similar size.

As of Jan.2017 the buffet was still self service. The set up was changed so it was difficult to touch the food with your hands(disgusting)but not impossible. Did love the fact everything was served to you on the Riviera. You were often handed the plate, said what you'd like & how much & it was placed on your plate. Very smooth operation.

I am not sure you have that quite right. Our first O cruise was in September 2014 and the buffet was definitely not Self Service. J

Yeah, sorry about that! I meant it was still self service on Celebrity's Eclipse in Jan.2017. I did like the fact that everything is served to you on the Riviera. You could obviously see the newbies: They were the ones reaching out to grab food. The staff was really well versed & were able to prevent it every time. The worst offenders were trying to snatch pastries off the table in Horizon's during tea service. I told one server to rap offending knuckles if they continued. Loved the looks I got from the offenders.

The worst offenders were trying to snatch pastries off the table in Horizon's during tea service. I told one server to rap offending knuckles if they continued. Loved the looks I got from the offenders.

I agree

I saw one of the servers in the Terrace grab the tongs from the cold meat tray just as a passenger was reaching for it :D

she was faster than the guy

He was just so impatient & could not wait for her to serve the person ahead of him

I agree

I saw one of the servers in the Terrace grab the tongs from the cold meat tray just as a passenger was reaching for it :D

she was faster than the guy

He was just so impatient & could not wait for her to serve the person ahead of him

On the Regatta I saw an older gentleman reach in and grab some bacon with his bare hands when the server had looked away. Told my wife not to have any bacon that day.

On the Regatta I saw an older gentleman reach in and grab some bacon with his bare hands when the server had looked away. Told my wife not to have any bacon that day.

hope you told the server also :eek:

I keep suggesting on the comment cards that they put the glass down close to the counter so fingers & hands cannot get at the food

someday they will listen :)

Yeah, sorry about that! I meant it was still self service on Celebrity's Eclipse in Jan.2017. I did like the fact that everything is served to you on the Riviera. You could obviously see the newbies: They were the ones reaching out to grab food. The staff was really well versed & were able to prevent it every time. The worst offenders were trying to snatch pastries off the table in Horizon's during tea service. I told one server to rap offending knuckles if they continued. Loved the looks I got from the offenders.

Just as filthy as those kind of PAXs with poor restroom habits. And all these kind of offenders should be publicly called out by other PAXs.