Cuba and OFAC question

agee23

41 Posts

Joined May 2013

Posted Today, 12:14 AM

Hi, I have a group of 10 and am going crazy because my travel certificate from the travel insurance company says I have to check off People to People on the form but, the company I want to use for my tour says check off Support for the Cuban People. Ncl says I have no other choice but People to People. Is this true? Please help! NCL tours extremely expensive.:eek::(:eek:

We just returned (Carnival, not NCL). We went under SFTCP. But it seems most people who checked that box were made (by Carnival) to change it to P2P; Carnival would not give them their visa until they did so. At the end of the day it doesn't matter; no one asks to see any of your plans. We were never asked for a single thing on the whole trip. Going back in March.

41 Posts

Joined May 2013

Hi, I have a group of 10 and am going crazy because my travel certificate from the travel insurance company says I have to check off People to People on the form but, the company I want to use for my tour says check off Support for the Cuban People. Ncl says I have no other choice but People to People. Is this true? Please help! NCL tours extremely expensive.:eek::(:eek:

Before deciding what to do you need to check with the US State Department as to what type of visa that will let you get. If NCL says only P2P then you are going to be stuck with that since they actually give you the form.

Again, if NCL want you to check P2P, check it and get your visa! After that it doesn't matter. No one is going to police what you do. Get your visa and go do whatever you want. You do NOT have to book anything through the cruiseline.

41 Posts

Joined May 2013

What do you mean "travel certificate from travel insurance company?"

Just came back from the Sky and we checked off Support of Cuban People and did our own tour with Blexie.

NCL issued our visa as we paid the $75 per person for them to take care of it.

Before deciding what to do you need to check with the US State Department as to what type of visa that will let you get. If NCL says only P2P then you are going to be stuck with that since they actually give you the form.

The State Department has no voice in what kind of visa you are going to get. The visa is obtained from the Cuban government and they could not care less which box you check on the OFAC form.

The State Department has no voice in what kind of visa you are going to get. The visa is obtained from the Cuban government and they could not care less which box you check on the OFAC form.

The visa is from Cuba, but the cruiselines give them to the passengers only if they (the cruiseline) think the travel affidavit has been completed correctly. To the cruiselines, that seems to mean P2P only. We know this isn't correct, but if that's the box you have to check to get your visa, that's what you do. We saw dozens and DOZENS of passengers made to redo their travel affidavits at checkin at Tampa before the Carnival staff would give them their visa.

The visa is from Cuba, but the cruiselines give them to the passengers only if they (the cruiseline) think the travel affidavit has been completed correctly. To the cruiselines, that seems to mean P2P only. We know this isn't correct, but if that's the box you have to check to get your visa, that's what you do. We saw dozens and DOZENS of passengers made to redo their travel affidavits at checkin at Tampa before the Carnival staff would give them their visa.

I was responding to the "you need to check with the US State Department as to what type of visa that will let you get" which was utter nonsense.

I was responding to the "you need to check with the US State Department as to what type of visa that will let you get" which was utter nonsense.

Yes, I understand. I think the poster for that comment probably meant the US Treasury Dept, (not the State Dept.) since that is where the OFAC page is located. A simple mistake on their part.

Yes, I understand. I think the poster for that comment probably meant the US Treasury Dept, (not the State Dept.) since that is where the OFAC page is located. A simple mistake on their part.

The poster might have meant that but no US government agency is going to have any say on what type of visa the Cuban government gives you.