Children left on ship

Last year on Carnival Sunshine, we let my 15 year old make his on plans for the week. We saw him in the morning when we got up and he was still sleeping and once when we told him he had to eat with us in the MDR on formal night. Other than that, we never saw him except for the occasional pass by as we were going opposite directions on the ship. He did go on one exertion with us in Nassau. When we went to Freeport, he never left the ship. He made a lot of friends he still has daily contact with via social media and texting. We did have the texting feature on the Carnival app that we would occasionally send him a text to check in.

I just have to ask, being that everyone here seems well versed ......what would actually happen if, gosh for bid, something did happen to the parents on shore and didn't make it back to the ship, and the kids were alone on there. Would the ship wait, leave, put the kids off...NOT being snarky, just like information

Personally I’d have no issue with my 16 year old being in charge of my 10 year old until we managed to make it back to the ship. When ds20 was 18, my sister flew him out to her house to care for her 3 kids for a week (meals, laundry, getting them to activities) while she went to Europe. At 16, my kids were seasoned babysitters for sibling and outside the home.

Personally I’d have no issue with my 16 year old being in charge of my 10 year old until we managed to make it back to the ship. When ds20 was 18, my sister flew him out to her house to care for her 3 kids for a week (meals, laundry, getting them to activities) while she went to Europe. At 16, my kids were seasoned babysitters for sibling and outside the home.

Thanks for the insight of raising kids today...I guess they are taking on more adult responsibilities at a younger age. I guess pretty soon I will have a five year old handling my accounts at the bank

Thanks for the insight of raising kids today...I guess they are taking on more adult responsibilities at a younger age. I guess pretty soon I will have a five year old handling my accounts at the bank

No, they are not, in fact, thanks to the helicopter parents, kids are going away yo college completely unprepared. Back in the day many 18 year olds were getting married and starting families (not that I want that for my kids). I grew up in the 70’s/80’s, where you pretty much left the house in the morning and came home for meals. I’m lucky to be living in the same area where I grew up, where elementary school children still walk to school and ride bikes around town.

Teen pregnancy is rare here, but there are many 16 year olds with their own babies to take care of. I can’t imagine a typical 16 year not not able fo care for a 10 year old for a day or so. Maybe I just have typical kids (ages 15 - 21).

This is not parental advice just that I would never do that in fear that something would happen and I wouldn't make it back. However if that happened, they'd be in a better place than me so never mind!!

That was my first thought, we leave the kids onboard, and we're in an accident, at least the kids are safe.

We are going to Bermuda and our thought was to hit the beach during the day, come back and drop the kids in the club, and go back out to one of the bars near the ship. Maybe even the beach party at snorkel park. Never even crossed my mind that it might not be allowed.

I recently left my 7 yr old onboard in Adventure Ocean while we walked around the port in Cape Canaveral. We were on the Adventure.

There was literally nothing to do in the port area so we just enjoyed being on land again for a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this thread really took off whilst I was asleep!

Just a couple of thoughts...

Might I suggest that anyone concerned about teenagers "running loose" avoid independence during the summer. You might, heaven forbid, see an unsupervised 16 year old playing laser tag. Just a bit of friendly advice.

No AO don't let kids self sign out on port days.

No, I won't be far from the ship. We don't do excursions.

But as I said, I wasn't asking for parental advice, I'm comfortable with the level of freedom and responsibility and trust I place in my children. I asked for the rules, and I now have them RCI said it's OK by them.

Thanks all, x

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

Love it and totally agree with you!

We are also sailing on Independence this summer and I will have a 20 year old and 17 (2 weeks to 18) year old with me. Whilst they will be coming off at some ports they will not want to come off all the time. They have been cruising ever summer for the last 5 years and we have never had an issue leaving them on board. We, as parents, set out clear ground rules for behaviour and they have followed them.

When we leave ship they know where we are going, what time we expect to be back and of course both have mobile phones they can contact us on if required.

Summer on Indy is very busy with children and teenagers so yes a few may be unruly but the majority are just enjoying their holiday. My sons spend their time at the flowrider and sports court not rampaging round the ship.

Michelle x

That was my first thought, we leave the kids onboard, and we're in an accident, at least the kids are safe.

We are going to Bermuda and our thought was to hit the beach during the day, come back and drop the kids in the club, and go back out to one of the bars near the ship. Maybe even the beach party at snorkel park. Never even crossed my mind that it might not be allowed.

It does happen. Was on Serenade in Dec when Bus carrying passengers from our ship and ship next to us crashed. Death and injuries, we left few behind...

This isn't first time it's happened a cruise I was on...

On our last (and ONLY cruise) my 11 year old son pretty much had the run of the ship. There weren't a lot of kids on board, maybe 30 total and they hung out together the whole trip. Now he did come with us when we got off the ship but he roamed at will while aboard. He knew where and when the snacks were coming out. All the bartenders knew him by name .:o:o He had a blast and caused no trouble. You know your own kids and the decision is yours. Have a great cruise and, if you decide they need someone to be on board with them, I'll volunteer!!!!

On our last (and ONLY cruise) my 11 year old son pretty much had the run of the ship. There weren't a lot of kids on board, maybe 30 total and they hung out together the whole trip. Now he did come with us when we got off the ship but he roamed at will while aboard. He knew where and when the snacks were coming out. All the bartenders knew him by name .:o:o He had a blast and caused no trouble. You know your own kids and the decision is yours. Have a great cruise and, if you decide they need someone to be on board with them, I'll volunteer!!!!

Glad he had such a good time. Everyone thinks differently. Have two 11-year-old grandchildren and I would not give them the run of the ship. They are good kids, and I trust them, however a ship is a small city - not sure I would trust everyone else on board.

You also mentioned your son caused no trouble. If you weren't with him how do you know! Small groups of elevator-riding kids, door bell ringing kids, playing in hot tubs, etc. are frequently seen on cruises.

I am not a complainer and spend a lot of time with kids, but they need supervision, for their safety and to make sure they are not bothering other passengers.

Most have already answered the OP questions. I have a 11 year old authorized to check herself out of AO. On port days she couldn’t do that. Safety and security. Other than that she was good to go. I was just on Oasis a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You also mentioned your son caused no trouble. If you weren't with him how do you know! Small groups of elevator-riding kids, door bell ringing kids, playing in hot tubs, etc. are frequently seen on cruises.

I am not a complainer and spend a lot of time with kids, but they need supervision, for their safety and to make sure they are not bothering other passengers.

Because i kept tabs on him. Not really hard to do. He hung out in AO, the pool and wherever the hot appitizers were. Made it pretty easy to find him!

Because i kept tabs on him. Not really hard to do. He hung out in AO, the pool and wherever the hot appitizers were. Made it pretty easy to find him!

Good to know! Your original post said he had the run of the ship and roamed at will hence my comments.

Been on too many cruises with kids running wild, riding elevators, etc. I am used to kids and know they like to have a good time but often without supervision on the ships they are annoying not to mention I worry about their safety and security. Sometimes you see some really young ones all on their own and there are too many creeps out there.

Before someone criticizes me for parenting advice - that’s not my intent. I just think too many people are too trusting with their precious kids.