pineapple beach BEST VALUE....EVER!!

cruzobsessed

When you were at the resort did you spend most of your time sunning on a lounge chair on the beach or did you do alot of other things at the resort and use alot of their facilities?

We are trying to decide wether we should go to Long Bay and just rent chairs on the "public beach" for the day (we are not big drinkers-- my husband will have a couple local beers and I'll have 1 or 2 frozen drinks while we are at the beach and probably just a very light lunch)

When you were at the resort did you spend most of your time sunning on a lounge chair on the beach or did you do alot of other things at the resort and use alot of their facilities?

We are trying to decide wether we should go to Long Bay and just rent chairs on the "public beach" for the day (we are not big drinkers-- my husband will have a couple local beers and I'll have 1 or 2 frozen drinks while we are at the beach and probably just a very light lunch)

Hi Laceyjane,

We're not big drinkers either, and we did spend most of our time on the beach in a chair. There are a couple of things to consider:
- the resort pool is very nice - we used the pool, as it's right off the ocean and was a nice change from the beach during the day.
- the included buffet lunch is very good, and the restaurant where you eat is on the beach.
- during our stay, it rained twice for about 20 minutes. During that time, we simply went into the resort area and either had a drink or something to eat until the storm blew over.
- we also hiked up to "Mary's Outhouse", a very scenic lookout located in the resort where a local named Mary cooks food and serves drinks.

We talked with a couple that spent the day at the public beach in Long Bay - they seemed happy with their day there, too. Personally, I liked the resort because it was different than others I'd been too - laid back, open, airy, I'd call it "casual classy". If you just want to rent a chair and lay on the beach, you'll probably be happy with the public beach at Long Bay. For me, I would go back to the resort.

[quote name='laceyjane']When you were at the resort did you spend most of your time sunning on a lounge chair on the beach or did you do alot of other things at the resort and use alot of their facilities?

We are trying to decide wether we should go to Long Bay and just rent chairs on the "public beach" for the day (we are not big drinkers-- my husband will have a couple local beers and I'll have 1 or 2 frozen drinks while we are at the beach and probably just a very light lunch)[/QUOTE]

• 3 weeks later...
This really sounds like a great deal! My husband and I will be there in March with our 4 year old. The day passes for us would cost $115 plus our taxi fare. The cruise line 4 hour excursion to Turner's would cost us $119 and that would only be the trip to the beach.. no lunch or anything really just the ride to the beach. I've already e-mailed them to see if they had any openings left. Once I confirm the prices and what's included I don't think you can beat this deal!

[quote name='partyboy']Renee,
If YOU feel you're getting a bargain at $180.00 for 4 hours on the beach with drinks and a buffet..........more power to you!:D Have a great time! It's a nice place.;)[/quote]

LOL.. well our ship arrives at 10am and doesn't depart until 7pm. So I figured compared to paying about $120 for just A RIDE to beach for 4 hours with the ship's excursion, that $180 for an ALL INCLUSIVE for 6-7 hours is a bargain:D. I'm still thinking it over anyway, lol. If you have any other suggestions please let me know!!

Pineapple Beach reply to my question.What is included in the day pass.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]The use of the non-motorized water sports equipment is not available during peak season due mainly to the damages we have had to the equipment by day pass guests.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]You will be able to use the snorkeling equipment available. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi... just received my confirmation for day passes on my cruise. Still debating on whether to spend the money or take a taxi to another beach. I'm thinking it would be a good deal but do have one question. We arrive at 10am and depart at 7pm. Is it true that passengers with excursions book thru NCL are allowed off the ship first before any other passengers are allowed off? I don't want to plan on Pineapple Beach if we'll be getting off the ship late. Then the money might not be worth it if we can't get enough hours in.

Renee,
:p I not sure why I'm even talking to you anymore since you refuse to take Patty & I with you!!!:p

Did you see the alternatives that I posted earlier in this thread? [URL="http://www.portreviews.com"]www.portreviews.com[/URL] can be a resourse for many other islands as well!

Ok, here's the skinny as I see it regarding your visit(without me).

You'll arrive on the pier at 11AM. You will secure either your own personal taxi for MORE than $10.00pp. each way or you'll be placed in a mini van waiting for your van to fill up with other people at $10.pp.

You'll get under way and travel for 30 minutes or so until you arrive at the resort(not much to see along the way). Let's just say you arrive at the Resort just before noon.

You enter the small main building and register. Hopefully there won't be a line in front of you. Once registered and you receive your wristband(better than an imprint from a branding iron), you will be given a short tour of the complex to explain what options are available to you. Let's just say it's 1230PM til you finally get to settle into a chair and relax with your first cocktail, if there's not a line at the bar.

Soooo, you've got your six once plastic cup in your hand whether it's beer, iced cocktail, frozen drink, soda, water, etc...:D Now it's time for a refill. Is there a line, is there a large group of partiers booked for that day you're going to spend almost $200.00 to enjoy? Probably not, but it's something to think about.

OK, the beach is nice. It's thin, but quite long. If you walk down to the other end of the beach there is another resort , restaurant and bar. This is where the snorkling is.

Your ship leaves at 7PM. I suspect last call for boarding will be approximately 45 minutes prior to departure give or take, so that means back to the ship by 6PM to be safe. But now remember, your not on a ship sponsored tour, do you really want to cut it that close?

The taxi driver will promise to come back for you...what happens if he doesn't and you lose time waiting for him until the resort can secure another cab for you? The drive is through the country side, pretty flat and desolate. You'll pass some homes, farms, baron coutryside and lots of cows, sheep, goats and chickens. None of them will be able to help you if you break down on the way back. Let's just hope that this worst case scenario doesn't happen, but if it does, will your driver have a cell phone with him that he can use to call for help? Our driver kept getting out of his van to check on the slow leak in a tire of his van on the way out. Upon his return to pick us up, he had changed the tire.

CONTINUED(didn't want to time out)

So to be safe, I would want to be back on the road back to the ship around 430PM. That gives you 4 to 4 1/2 hours at the resort.

Sure it's plenty of time! The place is great. But it was even GREATER when last May the cost was $32.00pp and included breakfast, lunch AND cocktails and the cab ride was only $6.00pp. each way!!!:D

Am I thrifty?
Heck no, I'm cheap!!!;)
That's how I'm able to cruise 3 or 4 times a year and by some kind of luck have a fantastic following of people I meet onboard my cruises that join me time after time.
PALEEESE, I'm not trying to discourage you from going, but if you think you've got 7 hours for $200 bucks....it's not going to happen exactly that way.

With my group, I'm going to taxi over for four within 10 minutes of the ship for $2.50pp. each way to hotels with beach, pool, restaurant and bar. I expect to spend less than $100.00 for two for the day drinking like a fish!!!:D I guess I'll order a meal as well that will be included in the $100.00!

I want you to have the best time ever. But just make it back to your ship without worry!
Jonathan

Ok Partyboy you've thoroughly opened my eyes:D. All those things you mentioned are things that concerned me about paying so much... not getting there as early as I hoped, having to make sure I'm back because the ship will not wait for us, etc. But, have to admit it did sound good compared to the NCL excursions, lol. This will only be our 2nd cruise. Our first was way back in 1996! It was our Honeymoon and we booked excursions on every island. We weren't too concerned about the money back then and really didn't know any better. But, now after reading these boards for the past few months I now know I can do my own thing at a much cheaper rate. Thanks for all your input and don't worry.. We'll have a blast no matter what we do. After all we'll be on vacation!!! By the way what part of NE Pa are you from. If you really insist we'll stuff you and Patty in our luggage ;)

Renee, We've gotta take care of fellow Pennsylvanians!! So with that in mind, Patty can't make it, but I can!!:D

Alright, so I'll skip this one with you guys, but hopefully we'll tip a few back on another one!;)

I live in Tyler Hill. It's a small blip on the map with 75 mail boxes. It's real country. No street lights, no police other than State Police with barracks almost an hour away. Fire company has to come from NY over the Delaware just down the road. There are about a half dozen or so paved roads, the rest are dirt. Closest food store or gas is 10 miles away. We do have a Walmart and a Kmart 20 miles away, otherwise it's off to your neck of the woods in Scranton an hour or more away for any real shopping.

I headed up here 6 years ago after retiring thinking I'd just find a little weekend retreat for us during the summer as we have a house right on the river down in Sea Bright, NJ. The traffic and congestion were getting unbearable.
Well, long story short, 4 months later, Patty is asking me if I'm ever coming home to NJ after I found this place and bought it right then and there on the spot. You probably know the answer. I'm still here!!!LOL

It's five acres and two thousand trees of my own personal paradise buried in a valley with a 30 foot wide two foot deep stream running through the middle of it surrounded by two 1000 acre farms.

OK, you can stop laughing now......cause I know it's more than you wanted to know, but I love telling this story!!!:D

[quote name='partyboy']Within this link you'll find other alternatives!
[URL="http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Antigua.htm"]http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Antigua.htm[/URL]
Hope it helps!:)[/quote]

Warm-Water Diver,

Please keep in mind that RLP817 is a party of three. Therefore Renee's cab fare would increase as well as the cost of the resort, even though the resort offers a reduced rate for children. So if you're a COUPLE, the cost would be closer to $150.00 for the day considering these fees:

:) $10.00pp for group cab fare each way = $40.00 (*plus tip).
:) $45.00pp. to enter the resort for lunch and cocktails = $90.00 (*plus tip).
:) *Tipping is of course an option. But you know and I know if you've gotten your moneys worth(at the bar) and the booze kicks in, you're going to tip a few extra bucks to the folks at the resort that treated you extra special. Then there's the tip for the Cabby!

beachlovergirl and Warm-Water Diver,

My particular cruise will be stopping in Antigua twice as I am doing an eastern and southern B2B on the Crown Princess repositioning in Oct./Nov. First leg I'll visit Runaway Bay. Second leg I'll visit Dickinson Bay beach.

Whatever plans you all make, I hope you have a blast!!
Jonathan

Jonathan.. I think by now I can call you by your real name :D Great Story! Sounds very peaceful. Might be a little too country for us but at the same time my husband would love it. His 2 favorite hobbies are hunting and snowmobiling which I assume you can do right in your own backyard. As it is here he and his friend travel 4 hours to Old Forge, NY to snowmobile. Of course this year with our lack of snow he had to go to Canada and Montana instead!!

We'll be in Antigua on 5/1. We received our confirmation for Pineapple Beach within two hours of our request. One of the other people on our cruise has been organizing a group to charter a bus to get us to Pineapple Beach. The original price was $20pp but since we now have a full busload of 28 she has the price down to $15pp. For more info check out the thread in the Golden Princess Roll Call for 4/29. There is quite a bit of conversation regarding the 'big ugly yellow bus'

poppabear

I'm starting to wonder if anyone posting to this list has actually BEEN to pineapple beach. I was there six weeks ago - there are no lines, it's a very laid back place, and they appear to carefully limit the number of day passes that are issued. We purchased the 1/2 day pass, and stayed from about 11:00 to 4:00.

Yes, the taxi ride is expensive, yes it is a long ride, but it is an interesting ride, nonetheless, and the resort is very nice. Our driver was great - he showed up to drive us back and gave us a lot of great conversation both ways.

The restaurant is right on the beach and serves a great lunch buffet, there is a wonderful grill called Mary's Kitchen up on the top of a bluff that overlooks the bay that you can eat at as well. The pools are very nice as well.

Oh yes - I don't remember plastic cups either - this IS an upscale place, after all!

Archived