Problems with Ventura ?

scifimonkey

There have been a number of bad reviews of Ventura since the dry dock and I am wondering if these are just a collection of moaners all travelling in a similar period or if there really is an underlying problem.

Worryingly the main issues seem to be technical with bow thrusters, stabilization, late departures and missed ports at the heart of the complaints.

Given that it is only just out of dry dock where presumably it had an MOT as well as a spruce up this seems strange.

Hoping by casting the net wider than those just choosing to post reviews I might get a broader response, or maybe more confirmation.................................

My vested interest? I'm back on board in July after an absence of 7 years and am just a bit concerned that all may not be as good as it was. I can live with the ' drop in standards' issues ( those complaints seem to be common to virtually all lines) but lack of stability and mechanical breakdowns are another matter entirely.

There have been a number of bad reviews of Ventura since the dry dock and I am wondering if these are just a collection of moaners all travelling in a similar period or if there really is an underlying problem.

Worryingly the main issues seem to be technical with bow thrusters, stabilization, late departures and missed ports at the heart of the complaints.

Given that it is only just out of dry dock where presumably it had an MOT as well as a spruce up this seems strange.

Hoping by casting the net wider than those just choosing to post reviews I might get a broader response, or maybe more confirmation.................................

My vested interest? I'm back on board in July after an absence of 7 years and am just a bit concerned that all may not be as good as it was. I can live with the ' drop in standards' issues ( those complaints seem to be common to virtually all lines) but lack of stability and mechanical breakdowns are another matter entirely.

There were issues with the engines post refit on the two cruises following it, this issue seems to have been fixed after a surprise docking in Vigo last week. This led to missed stop at Cadiz but all seems back on schedule now.

Went on a mini cruise over the bank holiday at the end of May. On this occasion had a lucky dip cabin. My daughter booked this and we had cabin C721. (Inside towards the back) A good sized, well kept cabin for 3 generations. Woken on entering Zeebrugge at 6.30 by the most awful noise. It felt like we were inside a washing machine on a spin cycle. The noise was terrible .Later in the day I saw an officer walking past and asked if I could ask a question. I told him about the noise and vibration and asked if this was normal.? He said the position we were in we would hear the bow thrusters ! Wasn’t entirely convinced! Just glad we only had two early wake ups!

I was on Ventura on the 12 sailing on April 9th. I picked up from fellow passengers that there were mechanical problems but nothing was officially announced and it didn't affect any of our port stops.

We needed to make an emergency stop for medical reasons and I was pleasantly surprised that we made up time and didn't have to miss a port. So whatever the problem, it wasn't significant on that cruise.

Reports on CC seem to suggest that there were problems on subsequent cruises which resulted in the change to the itinerary. Hopefully these are now fixed.

we were on 11-25/5 may cruise. late leaving Southampton, missed cadiz, went to vigo instead ,but she was doing 19 knots most of the way there, and whatever the problem was it was fixed there/then. Had no more problems after that. didn't spoil my holiday...although some thought it was the end of the world.

I hope everything's ok with Ventura, especially mechanical wise as my parents sail on her soon. Will be keeping an eye on here and the webcam. Will be gutted for them if anything goes wrong Hopefully everything is ok, they've had a while to try and fix things.

Sam.

What issues, I go n her next Saturday, also what acts on ship at the moment

Thanks

If you are going on Saturday, one of us has the day wrong as we go on Sunday 17th.

Edited by emam
Date

What issues, I go n her next Saturday, also what acts on ship at the moment

Thanks

We have been on a couple of cruises now and the service on Ventura was by far the worst we have ever en-counted, both in the MDR and a couple of the bars, the ship in our opinion looks like it's getting ready for a refit not just come back from one.

With regards to the entertainment we had a couple of good tribute acts, Whitney Huston was one of them we watched, a good comedian (but we have seen him before so some of him material was old), the headliner shows were good, we had the new show with Steven (the bloke from Ant & Dec) and he was on board with his co writer, the two house bands Pulse and another group from Barbados were very good. I can't remember the names of the entertainment team but a few were leaving at the end of our trip.

You'll have a great time and like us don't let the little things spoil your hard earned holiday.

Was on the cruise that returned on the 8th , enjoyed it as it was our 1st with P&O , not up to Cunards standard of service , we had one night where it took 2 1/2 hrs to eat ( and had to ask waiters several times for iced water ) .

Slow bar service on occasions 10/15mins to wait for a drink to come .

Entertainment was good with the exception of a ventriloquist who was poor ( many walked out ) , the Headliners shows were very good , some areas of the ship look tired and in need of an update .

Drink prices were reasonable with no surcharge (unlike Cunard) .

Bit surprised that ice creams were chargeable for the pool area .

Overall enjoyed the Cruise but the Canary Islands visits didn't excite us much .