Do we need to cancel My Time dining reservation?

We have made reservations for My Time dining for all 7 nights of our cruise.

When we are on the ship, we may book a specialty dining for one of the nights, Do we need to cancel our My Time dining reservation for that night or will the reservation cancel by itself if we don't show up?

Thanks

If you have a specialty dining reservation, the MTD people will know that.

However, if you are going to Windjammer, or otherwise skipping dinner, it's nice to call and cancel so your table can be used for others quicker.

When you are at home, and make a reservation at a local restaurant, either on the phone or with an app like Open Table, if you decide not to go, do you just not show up, or do you cancel?

The answer is the same regardless of where you are.

Simple courtesy dictates that you let them know.

For me, the entire point of MTD is NOT making reservations. We go eat when we feel like it. Rarely do we wait more than 5 minutes. The only way I make reservations is if we have a larger group. When it is just the 2 of us, never make reservations. Just show up when we are ready to eat. We don't care if we have the same waitstaff, makes no difference to us. I love the flexibility of MTD, have done it since it was first introduced. I like not having to go at a certain time. We plan dinner around the shows. With just the 2 of us, dinner is never more than 1.5 hours or less. Love that, no sitting for 3 hours while people order dessert, etc. We go eat and leave. Works great for us.

I phoned the MTD desk to cancel one evening as I was not feeling well. The person to whom I spoke knew immediately who I was and called me by name, thanking me for letting them know. I suppose the cabin number and name come up on their call display. :)

For me, the entire point of MTD is NOT making reservations. We go eat when we feel like it. Rarely do we wait more than 5 minutes. The only way I make reservations is if we have a larger group. When it is just the 2 of us, never make reservations. Just show up when we are ready to eat. We don't care if we have the same waitstaff, makes no difference to us. I love the flexibility of MTD, have done it since it was first introduced. I like not having to go at a certain time. We plan dinner around the shows. With just the 2 of us, dinner is never more than 1.5 hours or less. Love that, no sitting for 3 hours while people order dessert, etc. We go eat and leave. Works great for us.

On our last cruise we made reservations for every evening of MTD .It was just the 2 of us but we preferred having the same wait staff every evening.

On our last cruise we made reservations for every evening of MTD .It was just the 2 of us but we preferred having the same wait staff every evening.

……...which is the glory of MTD. You have these choices.

With MTD, if you book a specialty restaurant, they should cancel your MTD reservation for that evening at the same time as they book your meal. So your table shouldn't be held.

We've had a few times where we decided at the last minute we'd like to wait a while for dinner (we usually book on the earlier side but if you have a late lunch or an afternoon snack, sometimes you just aren't hungry!). We'd end up just turning up a little later on. We haven't ever really had any trouble with MTD waits.

It's also worth noting that the new dinner menu service (where active) means you get in and out a whole lot faster, which seems to be helping with the queuing times for MTD reservations (we never saw any lines at all during our whole 14-night cruise, even on lobster night!).

We just got off Anthem and had MTD. Lines usually were no problem except on lobster night. People that were regular diners in the Windjammer all seemed to come that night. Line was backed up to where they were taking photos. I was surprised that so many people wanted their picture taken until I realized it was the line for dinner.