Sawyer Glacier on Bliss vs $$ for Tracy arm at same time?

erdoran

I know Bliss hasn’t done this yet - but for those who have been on itineraries where you sail past Sawyer Glacier, is it really worth spending more $$ to do this via a Tracy Arm excursion? Small boat getting close vs big boat where we can still see plenty I’m sure! Thanks

Big boats almost never make it up to the glacier in Tracy Arm because of the ice. Many actually go to Dawes Glacier instead. If you want to actually get close up to the glacier it’s better to take the small boat cruise.

The small boat is a complete different experience and perspective. As said above, if you want to get close to the glaciers, the small boat is your best option.

If you’re cruise also goes to Hubbard or another glacier viewing opportunity, then you may take a chance that the ship will get close enough and save the money for something that may be of more interest to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this on Carnival and it's definitely not the same as being on the ship. The small boat gets you so close, so when the calving happens, it really rocks the boat! But it was really cool. I didn't feel on any other part of the cruise did the ship get any closer than they did to Dawes Glacier. And even then, they were like 3-4 miles back, the small boat is like 1/2 mile and a way different experience.

Close up

28575478145_762815e550.jpg

From the ship

27960158123_e915fd9e28.jpg

IF you are sailing Tracy Arm, the usual is for cruises ships to turn back at Sawyer Island, where you only get a distant partial view of the South Sawyer. It's a whole different story with the add on shore excursion that can also get to the North Sawyer.

With the Endicott Arm, cruise ships do get a better glacier view, but certainly stay back a distance.

With your "really worth it" question, it may not be for you, since you mention costs?????

Actually I should have asked differently. Wer’re in Juneau 7 -1, and we’re doing whale watching/Mendenhall photo safari. The Tracy Arm excursion is stated to be 5 hrs and leaves at 1:15. The Bliss itinerary says “Sailing Sawyer Glacier”. The $ of the second excursion is one thing, but I don’t mind $ if worth it, and from the pix looks like it is. Just trying to gather info—it becomes a really long day too, but it may be worthwhile.

Thanks for asking this. I was wondering if 2 tours could be done in Juneau so I called a whale watching company in Juneau to see if doing the Tracy Arm small boat excursion and doing a whale watching excursion was possible in the same day. The lady told me that people do it that way all the time and the 2 tours were very different from each other. She said if can only afford one of them then you have to decide what your priorities are. Scenic, some widlife and glaciers vs strictly searching for whales. I would love to do both but it would be about $900 for 2 us to do both. I am evaluating our priorities and researching the options. I appreciate everyones input and advice.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for asking this. I was wondering if 2 tours could be done in Juneau so I called a whale watching company in Juneau to see if doing the Tracy Arm small boat excursion and doing a whale watching excursion was possible in the same day. The lady told me that people do it that way all the time and the 2 tours were very different from each other. She said if can only afford one of them then you have to decide what your priorities are. Scenic, some widlife and glaciers vs strictly searching for whales. I would love to do both but it would be about $900 for 2 us to do both. I am evaluating our priorities and researching the options. I appreciate everyones input and advice.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

So I just booked both. NCL moved my whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour to 7:30 am which gives me 45 mins between excursions. $$ for sure, hopefully worthwhile! I cancelled our train/laughton glacier hike in Skagway to try to save some $$, switched to the drive to/from Caribou Junction, to make up for the double excursions.

So I just booked both. NCL moved my whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier tour to 7:30 am which gives me 45 mins between excursions. $$ for sure, hopefully worthwhile! I cancelled our train/laughton glacier hike in Skagway to try to save some $$, switched to the drive to/from Caribou Junction, to make up for the double excursions.

I think you will be happy with your choices. Please let us know when you return how the tours were.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure you will have an unforgettable experience. Let us know how it goes and how tiring the day was. I really think we could manage both but I think DH doesn't want to try it. Will keep talking to him about it maybe I can wear him down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app