Symphony Barcelona. Will they take our passports?

Sailing Symphony out of Barcelona in October. When we sailed Med last time, they took our passports, but I believe it was because we stopped in Turkey which was outside of the EU.

This trip, we will be getting off in LaSepiza. Taking the train to Florence and from there taking the train to Rome and meeting back up the next day on the ship. Yes, we have taken care of this all through RC.

As we are spending a night off the ship, we would prefer to have our passports with us. Anyone know since this cruise does not leave the EU, will we keep our passports. US citizens if it matters.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As we are spending a night off the ship, we would prefer to have our passports with us.

You absolutely must have your passports to check into an Italian hotel. Do not be alarmed when the front desk keeps them for a half-hour or so; it's standard procedure.

You absolutely must have your passports to check into an Italian hotel. Do not be alarmed when the front desk keeps them for a half-hour or so; it's standard procedure.

Thanks for that heads up. Last time in Rome we did an Air BnB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By Italian Law in accordance with the Legislative Decree of 23/05/2011, n° 79, and the Ministry of the Interior newsletter n° 400/A/2012/23.1.3 of 05/03/2012, every person, including minors, are required to show an identity document with a photo (ID card or Passport) in order to be registered in Hotel.

By Italian Law in accordance with the Legislative Decree of 23/05/2011, n° 79, and the Ministry of the Interior newsletter n° 400/A/2012/23.1.3 of 05/03/2012, every person, including minors, are required to show an identity document with a photo (ID card or Passport) in order to be registered in Hotel.

When were off the ship, whether in the Carib or the Med. we usually take our driver's license. Will this document suffice in providing proper ID to check at a hotel.

No, there´s no need to keep your passport. You have your Schengen "visa" in your passport which you´ve gotten at the airport. For cruises going to a Turkish port the Turkish authorities do come onboard and check them (and then those of the next Schengen port). That´s why they need to keep the passports. But that´s not necessary for a in-Schengen-cruise which are the Med cruises of the Symphony.

steamboats

When were off the ship, whether in the Carib or the Med. we usually take our driver's license. Will this document suffice in providing proper ID to check at a hotel.

My view is that if you are in a foreign country then you need to have your passport with you and that is what's required as ID when checking into a hotel or for any other reason. I don't believe other forms of ID will suffice.