New info on shuttle from Nynashm to Stockholm

EllieinNJ

On the BREAKAWAY now. NCL came to a compromise. If you booked before the port change they will give you a free shuttle to the train station and back with train tickets. You have to register at the service desk and get. a red dot on your keycard.

that's interesting-train would actually suit us better

what proof do you require?

I contacted NCL guest services via email and got this reply

Thank you for your email.

Please note that we have checked with our sources and can confirm that we did not have any complaints from our passengers regarding the transfer to Stockholm.

More information on the times will be provided on the day through Guest service desk.

Yours sincerely,

Juliana Camilleri

EU Guest Services

Please note that we have checked with our sources and can confirm that we did not have any complaints from our passengers regarding the transfer to Stockholm.

More information on the times will be provided on the day through Guest service desk.

Yours sincerely,

Juliana Camilleri

EU Guest Services

Ms Camilleri may not have found any specific complaints about the transfer, but changing where the ship docks does change the experience of visiting Stockholm which is a shame. We docked in Frihamnen and one of the most special parts of the whole Baltic cruise was for me waking early and watching as we sailed slowly through the archipelago into Stockholm.

Is this a long term change?

Yours sincerely,

Juliana Camilleri

EU Guest Services

No proof needed. They know when you made your booking.

On the BREAKAWAY now. NCL came to a compromise. If you booked before the port change they will give you a free shuttle to the train station and back with train tickets. You have to register at the service desk and get. a red dot on your keycard.

Thanks Ellie for taking the time during your vacation to give us an update! We board on June 16 and I already printed the email I received on 3/23/18 to "prove" that we're entitled to the free transfer into the city!

Lynne

Ms Camilleri may not have found any specific complaints about the transfer, but changing where the ship docks does change the experience of visiting Stockholm which is a shame. We docked in Frihamnen and one of the most special parts of the whole Baltic cruise was for me waking early and watching as we sailed slowly through the archipelago into Stockholm.

Is this a long term change?

it probably is

last year sister ship Getaway was supposed to be docking in Stockholmbut only managed it a couple of times due to sea conditions and was diverted to Nynashamn

when we booked last May was listed as Stockholm proper but wasn't too surprised that was changed to Nynashamn ahead of time

the question has been how NCL would honour promised free transport to Stockholm to those who booked prior to change

What is the email address for guest services? I have not been able to find it within MyNCL.

Ellie,

Thanks for posting this information. Would you know how many free shuttles there were to the train, the times there & back to the ship, and were the free train tickets included?

We have made reservations for the HOHO bus that picks up at the port, but if the train & shuttle are free, we might cancel the HOHO bus reservation.

Yours sincerely,

Juliana Camilleri

EU Guest Services

It sounds like people need to start emailing NCL to complain!

Ironically, the reason we chose NCL for our Baltic cruise four years ago was that the Regal Princess was docking in Nynashamn. This is a big deal to some cruisers due to the loss of the sail in to Stockholm (although for us it was just as much my fear of being an hour away if my 3 year old melted down and needed to return to the ship. He loved the whole cruise but I didn't know that would happen when I was planning).

And to the person who asked if this is a permanent change, irregardless of where ships are scheduled to dock the sail in to Stockholm is technically challenging. Any fairly small weather/current issues can cause ships to be diverted. The larger ships like the Getaway, and the Regal/Royal tend to be diverted fairly often because they have very little margin for error, so passengers on those ships should be prepared for diversion even if they are scheduled for Stockholm.

The transfers to Stockholm went pretty smoothly. You lined up on the pier and they handed out the train tickets. There were many shuttle buses there. As one filled another came. The only problem was getting a seat on the train. The train leaves every half hour and several shuttles arrive before the train leaves. If you are not one of the first shuttles and on a line in front of the train door you will not find a seat and will have to stand for an hour.

You use the same ticket getting back. The train station is a little scary. You have to go down 3 escalators to get to track 3/4 toward Nynashamn. We left Stockholm around 3 PM and the shuttle buses were waiting to take you back to the ship.

The transfers to Stockholm went pretty smoothly. You lined up on the pier and they handed out the train tickets.

So the shuttle buses just took you from pier to train station? Were the train tickets just to Stockholm City, or were they a 24 hr travel card? Thanks!

So the shuttle buses just took you from pier to train station? Were the train tickets just to Stockholm City, or were they a 24 hr travel card? Thanks!

They were the 24 hour ticket.

Also, the hop on/hop off buses were there also. Someone else mentioned that they did not leave for at least 90 minutes, trying to fill up.

Stromma/City Sightseeing is running a Baltic special...buy 3 hoho buses in different cities...get one free. We did Copenhagen, Tallinn and Helsinki. The hoho bus at the pier in Nynashamn would not honor it there so after taking the train into Stockholm, the bus there accepted it.

We had the free transfer, but ended up taking the HOHO bus as not to have to worry about dealing with train stations. We were off by 8:45? And left maybe 5 minutes after getting on the bus. We used the HOHO bus throughout Stockholm so it worked out well. Only downside was I drank too much coffee in the city and there's no bathroom on a HOHO bus :(

I was on the same trip with Ellie. I would have preferred taking the bus into the city and having a fixed place to come back to. The train station was huge and confusing. We almost took the train in the wrong direction. Many people stood both ways. I hated it. If they want complaints, I’d be happy to comply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd share our experience regarding Nynashamn with the June 16 sailing on the Breakaway (our day in Sweden was on June 23). Because we booked prior to the port change from Stockholm to Nynashamn, we had gotten the email stating that we'd be entitiled to transportation to Stockholm. I printed it and brought to on the cruise, but never needed to show it because our Concierge in the Haven proactively asked us if we wanted to take advantage of the complimentary transportation by shuttle bus. We said yes, but like Littledipper, the "free" options offered very little time in Stockholm. We would've had to be leaving the city at 2 pm, despite the All Aboard time of 6:30 pm, with departure planned for 7 pm. Less than 6 hours in the city.

We were really mad that NCL basically forced us to book a non-free Hop On Hop Off ($79 pp) excursion so that we'd have more time to explore this fabulous city. NCL basically made the "free" transportation so unappealing, that they made money because many people booked other excursions. Grrrr.

On the heels of a missed port in Helsinki the day before, we were pretty disgusted with the handling of the whole Stockholm situation. Docking in the port of Nynashamn is a BIG negative to this current itinerary! First because you miss the amazing sail through the Archipelago and second because it's an hour away, shortening the day in Stockholm. The least NCL could do is lengthen the port stay by a couple of hours (the next day is a sea day) and offer real "free" shuttle buses that provide plenty of time in the city.

We're done with Mega ship experiences in places like the Baltics. I can do without slides, ropes courses and over a dozen dining venues (and sailing with 4000 people), but would like to actually go to all the ports for the itinerary I book and not have ship size be the reason we cannot get into a port.

Lynne

Leaving next week on the NCL Breakaway to the Baltic capitals.

We are trying to get a simple answer: when you take the shuttle from Nynashamn to Stockholm- is it a BUS or a TRAIN and where exactly does it drop you off in Stockholm?

We've read the thread posts and it seems like it is a SHUTTLE BUS to a TRAIN STATION, though some posts seem to indicate it is just a shuttle BUS (no train).

Anyway-

1. Shuttle bus, train or combination?

2. Where do you get dropped off in Stockholm (i.e., name of train station, bus station or street intersection)?

We've called NCL twice for this information but no one has a clue and can only say, "You'll get your transfer and more information once you are on the ship." We are trying to plan ahead. It's a shame NCL doesn't provide their customer service people on the phone with the information so they can inform us ahead of time. After all, we PAID to go to Stockholm when we booked this cruise. (Can you tell we are slightly frustrated?)

NCL can't help us but we bet/hope someone on Cruise Critic can help answer our questions.

Thank you!

On our sailing, May 29th, NCL supplied shuttles to train station with tickets. In reading some other posts on sailings after us, it seems they changed and did supply shuttles into Stockholm directly, but only for set times. Maybe someone on a more recent sailing can confirm what they are doing now.

Leaving next week on the NCL Breakaway to the Baltic capitals.

We are trying to get a simple answer: when you take the shuttle from Nynashamn to Stockholm- is it a BUS or a TRAIN and where exactly does it drop you off in Stockholm?

We've read the thread posts and it seems like it is a SHUTTLE BUS to a TRAIN STATION, though some posts seem to indicate it is just a shuttle BUS (no train).

Anyway-

1. Shuttle bus, train or combination?

2. Where do you get dropped off in Stockholm (i.e., name of train station, bus station or street intersection)?

We've called NCL twice for this information but no one has a clue and can only say, "You'll get your transfer and more information once you are on the ship." We are trying to plan ahead. It's a shame NCL doesn't provide their customer service people on the phone with the information so they can inform us ahead of time. After all, we PAID to go to Stockholm when we booked this cruise. (Can you tell we are slightly frustrated?)

NCL can't help us but we bet/hope someone on Cruise Critic can help answer our questions.

Thank you!

Hi, completely understand your frustration. NCL has handled this port change incredibly poorly in numerous ways. We were on the June 16 sailing and in Nynashamn on June 23. For our sailing:

1. Shuttle bus, train or combination? The Shuttle was all bus service, no train involved.

2. Where do you get dropped off in Stockholm (i.e., name of train station, bus station or street intersection)? They were dropping off/picking up at the Opera House. A good location and central to many sights.

As I said in my post, the "free" shuttle times were crappy. For example, we were given an 8:30 shuttle departure time, so arrival in Stockholm would be 9:30 or later. And departure time of 2 pm. Too little time. Despite complaining and being in the Haven where a Concierge really tries to help out his guests, we could not get better times. So, we paid $79 pp for the HoHo bus instead. Ugh.

Good luck! Stockholm is a beautiful city and sure wish we could've docked in the city, as planned when I booked and paid for my cruise!

Lynne

If you do a privately booked tour in St. Petersburg, see how much the tour company will charge you to take you from Nynashamn to Stockholm and back (and obviously include what you want to see in Stockholm). My family honestly enjoyed the Stockholm tour the most (Vasa was a hit with my daughter, and I enjoyed every moment in the place my father's parents emigrated from). Booking with the same tour company got us a discount on the price.

We went with Alla Tours for our Getaway cruise. Germany and Stockholm were the most enjoyable for us. St. Petersburg did not live up to what I had built up in my head. :(