Afternoon Tea in a suite

Shaver John

I would like to have afternoon Tea delivered to my room, but am not sure what they will bring. Do I need to ask for coffee instead of Tea and can I just request scones and cookies and not sandwiches? I love scones, and would like to get a few extra so can I just ask for as many as I want or do they just send one for each of us. Any answers will be greatly appreciated if you have ordered Tea in your suite.

You can specify what you want. They routinely sent 2 scones each, but you can ask for more. Yes, if you want coffee instead of tea, you'll have to specify that. You can also specify scones plain or with raisins.

FWIW, they do put out scones on the buffet as well as serving in the dining room They don't stay fresh for long, but any of the places will give you as many as you want.

The times we've done Afternoon Tea, they sent someone to take our order. I think that's why you have to put in for it a day ahead. It's usually enough food for a whole meal - so plan accordingly.

Not to say I am an expert on this, but I am:D;)....We always have tea in our cabin and have every single cruise since we became elite and before when we had suites...so at least 20 times or more, even once in an inside we had it delivered and took it to an outside table.

I have never had someone come take my order, only unless that is something new with Club Class.

Because you get what they are serving at tea that particular day.

Still my Favorite suite Perk, elite perk.....

You call room service....and say you want tea in your cabin.

In a suite you can order it just an hour before,

In a non-suite cabin I usually do it the morning of( says 6hrs, somewhere I have seen it) but sometimes I request it a few hours before and they have accommodated me.

It is brought to your cabin during tea time...our last cruises May & April it was 3-4pm( used to be 3:30-4:30) ...you request the time, during the hour.

They ask you how many people, in E731 last November we had 8 people and what a spread they brought.

They ask if you want some of everything...you say yes......or say just, sandwiches etc,

It is truly a wonderful experience, they bring a table cloth..it is a very nice event. In a suite we have had them stay and serve.

A generous tip, seems to be greatly appreciated.

Edited by land lover

When we sailed in a suite we had tea delivered most days. There was SO MUCH food! We called to order the morning of - they gave us a hard time once or twice, saying that they needed 24 hours notice, but there was nowhere on the suite benefits stating this so I continued to order in the morning (I really didn't know if we would want it 24 hours prior!!!). They asked for the number of people and brought more than enough for twice that number! Now that I'm elite, I haven't ordered in the room but thinking I will next cruise!

Thank you! This is a much better description of what we experienced. Sometimes I think I'm losing my mind when people insist that things happened differently from what I remembered, especially when the incident I'm remembering was only a few weeks ago!

;)

Not to say I am an expert on this, but I am:D;)....We always have tea in our cabin and have every single cruise since we became elite and before when we had suites...so at least 20 times or more, even once in an inside we had it delivered and took it to an outside table.

I have never had someone come take my order, only unless that is something new with Club Class.

Because you get what they are serving at tea that particular day.

Still my Favorite suite Perk, elite perk.....

You call room service....and say you want tea in your cabin.

In a suite you can order it just an hour before,

In a non-suite cabin I usually do it the morning of( says 6hrs, somewhere I have seen it) but sometimes I request it a few hours before and they have accommodated me.

It is brought to your cabin during tea time...our last cruises May & April it was 3-4pm( used to be 3:30-4:30) ...you request the time, during the hour.

They ask you how many people, in E731 last November we had 8 people and what a spread they brought.

They ask if you want some of everything...you say yes......or say just, sandwiches etc,

It is truly a wonderful experience, they bring a table cloth..it is a very nice event. In a suite we have had them stay and serve.

A generous tip, seems to be greatly appreciated.

I seem to recall having tea at an outside table myself ;)

On our last cruise we had 6 people for tea. From past experience we asked they send only for 4. It still was twice the amount the 6 of us could have consumed.

Warning: on the "new" ships e.g. Regal and Royal there is no space to lay out the spread in the suite as there is on the good old ships with the wet bars.

P&J

When we sailed in a suite we had tea delivered most days. There was SO MUCH food! We called to order the morning of - they gave us a hard time once or twice, saying that they needed 24 hours notice, but there was nowhere on the suite benefits stating this so I continued to order in the morning (I really didn't know if we would want it 24 hours prior!!!). They asked for the number of people and brought more than enough for twice that number! Now that I'm elite, I haven't ordered in the room but thinking I will next cruise!

24 hours really?????...once when we were in a regular cabin and I called at 8am she asked me if I would call later as they were very behind on breakfast delivery LOL....

Again, In a suite I am surprised they said that, maybe they did not look at the phone ID when you called to see WHO YOU WERE!!!!! No, seriously someone was not providing you with appropriate service.

When we first started getting it about 5 years ago...they brought the hot water in beautiful bone china pots....now just insulated pitchers.

But, still both DH & I totally enjoy it,sometimes we don't even go to dinner after our indulgence.

You definitely need to do it again on your next cruise.

;)

I seem to recall having tea at an outside table myself ;)

I wonder who that was with:D.....I think that was when we had double tea time.....

When are you leaving for Spain? soon, isn't it?

Edited by land lover

I should mention..one time, on a Scandinavian cruise with SAVING the Date....I called room service, a few hours before and they told me they were so busy they could not do it....So that afternoon... Saving, myself & our spouses, went to the "late tea" at Cafe Caribe....on returning to my cabin there sat a full tea set up..so the 4 of us got together for another tea time on the Promenade deck as the sun was setting...memories...

I love afternoon tea in your cabin or an outside deck.....

24 hours really?????...once when we were in a regular cabin and I called at 8am she asked me if I would call later as they were very behind on breakfast delivery LOL....

Again, In a suite I am surprised they said that, maybe they did not look at the phone ID when you called to see WHO YOU WERE!!!!! No, seriously someone was not providing you with appropriate service.

I agree! While sailing in the suite was one of the best "room" experiences we have ever had, the ship and service on that particular sailing left a lot to be desired! It was Grand Princess on a two week to Hawaii - lots of leaks/damp/mold throughout the ship, staff that just were not happy, kids program that claimed to be full and stopped allowing kids in (even though there were less than 100 kids on this sailing), and customer service that really didn't seem to care!

I will share a story....we had our breakfast delivered to the room each morning. My son, at the time, was 3 and liked to drink apple juice. One morning, he picked up his glass and started drinking out of it - I happened to look over and saw a dark shape in the bottom of the glass so took it from him. Inside the glass of juice was a rusty paperclip! I was so grossed out, not to mention running through the "what if he had swallowed it and choked" scenario". I took pictures and immediately called room service. The room service guy returned, looked in the glass, shrugged, and said that maybe we dropped it in there!!! I then called front desk who promised to "look into it" and get back to us. Of course we heard nothing back. Eventually, I took the glass of half drunk juice complete with paperclip down to the front desk and showed it to them. The rep simply said "Oh, sorry about that" and went about her business.....

Anyways, enough hijacking of the thread...sorry!! I get heated up when I think of some of the things that happened on that ship!

And by the way, now I want afternoon tea!

Hi, all,

I am new to this room service thing. Does it require extra charge for each delivery? Thank you.

Afternoon Tea is free but available only to those in full suites or at the elite loyalty level. For all other room service options check out the blue notebook which will be on your desk when you check in. Almost all are free. Pizza has carried a minor delivery charge for years and I've read - but not yet experienced it - that some additional for a fee items have been added recently.

Hi, all,

I am new to this room service thing. Does it require extra charge for each delivery? Thank you.

No, on Princess at Present here is no charge for delivery of afternoon tea...and you should not feel obligated to tip....the deliverers are pleasantly surprised when you do , but certainly do not expect it or wait around for it....

No charge for any room service delivery, except a pizza.

The tea time delivery is a perk for people who are in a suite or are elite....otherwise you either go to tea time in the dining room or late tea HC or market place.

Afternoon Tea is free but available only to those in full suites or at the elite loyalty level. For all other room service options check out the blue notebook which will be on your desk when you check in. Almost all are free. Pizza has carried a minor delivery charge for years and I've read - but not yet experienced it - that some additional for a fee items have been added recently.

I haven't done Pizza either....In fact I had never ordered room service on Princess until my cruise on Ruby 2 weeks ago....On their menu Pizza only had the additional charge, from what I saw, but other ships might or I just missed it.

Also I understand there is some Special "high tea" on Royal???? in the Atrium where there is a charge to participate.

On the Royal (and maybe Regal), there is a "royal tea" that has a charge. It is more food than the standard tea, but still not up to the standard of a British High Tea.

The afternoon tea on all the ships has no charge, and again, is definitely not a "high tea." It has sandwiches, cookies, and scones along with tea. If you make no request, you'll get plain Lipton, but you can request any tea they have on the ship...or coffee. It is plenty of food and a lovely afternoon break. You can only have it served in your suite if you are in a full suite (not mini) or are Elite loyalty. And scones are available at the buffet as well. I don't mean to say anything negative about the tea. I just want to be clear to anyone who has been in the UK that this is not a high tea as they define it. Not even close.

I agree! While sailing in the suite was one of the best "room" experiences we have ever had, the ship and service on that particular sailing left a lot to be desired! It was Grand Princess on a two week to Hawaii - lots of leaks/damp/mold throughout the ship, staff that just were not happy, kids program that claimed to be full and stopped allowing kids in (even though there were less than 100 kids on this sailing), and customer service that really didn't seem to care!

I will share a story....we had our breakfast delivered to the room each morning. My son, at the time, was 3 and liked to drink apple juice. One morning, he picked up his glass and started drinking out of it - I happened to look over and saw a dark shape in the bottom of the glass so took it from him. Inside the glass of juice was a rusty paperclip! I was so grossed out, not to mention running through the "what if he had swallowed it and choked" scenario". I took pictures and immediately called room service. The room service guy returned, looked in the glass, shrugged, and said that maybe we dropped it in there!!! I then called front desk who promised to "look into it" and get back to us. Of course we heard nothing back. Eventually, I took the glass of half drunk juice complete with paperclip down to the front desk and showed it to them. The rep simply said "Oh, sorry about that" and went about her business.....

Anyways, enough hijacking of the thread...sorry!! I get heated up when I think of some of the things that happened on that ship!

And by the way, now I want afternoon tea!

I love the petite sandwiches especially the egg salad on croissants, my DH loves the desserts.

Unfortunate about your experience....sometimes crew on the ship think we North Americans get worked up about stuff that is no big deal to them...I agree with your concern..but am happy, you were on top of it and there were no ill effects. Just having the hotel manager give you a call would have smoothed things...simple concern goes a long way....

Is it Tea Time yet?...Enjoy......

Thanks to everyone for all this information. We are getting excited as it is on 95 more days, and already thinking of all the good times we will have. We have never done tea in the room, but this time I will make sure as we have 7 days across the Atlantic and should be able to fit it in nicely. Thanks again....

On the Royal (and maybe Regal)' date=' there is a "royal tea" that has a charge. It is more food than the standard tea, but still not up to the standard of a British High Tea.

The afternoon tea on all the ships has no charge, and again, is definitely not a "high tea." It has sandwiches, cookies, and scones along with tea. If you make no request, you'll get plain Lipton, but you can request any tea they have on the ship...or coffee. It is plenty of food and a lovely afternoon break. You can only have it served in your suite if you are in a full suite (not mini) or are Elite loyalty. And scones are available at the buffet as well. I don't mean to say anything negative about the tea. I just want to be clear to anyone who has been in the UK that this is not a high tea as they define it. Not even close.[/quote']

I think it all depends on who you talk to...and many people who I have spoken to from the UK..have thought it wonderful, others from England(more proper) or some of the commonwealths do not....but it is free, what does one expect. It has been rumored that other lines that offer tea do a much better job.

Is all I know is I have enjoyed it on Princess....certainly, they have scaled back on the choices..I miss the creme puff swans...

We were in a full suite on the Grand Princess this April/May and ordered tea to our suite twice. (My original plan was to order it every day I could, but with there being so much food around the ship and also with us taking supper earlier in the evening, it just was not practical to order so much food). Like you, I did my research beforehand about ordering afternoon tea to the suite and I decided to scale it back to only tea (my preference is mint), coffee, and scones with the "whipped cream" and fruit preserves. What they call "whipped cream" is really a light whipped butter, and the fruit preserves were raspberry both times (I am sure you can order whatever fruit preserves they have, just specify). The beverages (coffee and hot water) were in the plastic thermal decanters, and two mint tea bags were provided. When ordering, do specify if you need cream and sugar for your beverages, as one should never assume that they will automatically be added to the tray if you do not specify (the person on the phone will usually ask, but if they do not, please do mention that you need them).

The first time, I was diligent and ordered it in the morning (around 9 AM) as they request in the cabin literature. The second time I think I ordered it maybe 1 or 2 hours prior and they accommodated us, but did explain that the reason they prefer at least 6 hours notice is to ensure that they have the kitchen staff and bakers make enough between the suite orders, the MDR afternoon tea, and whatever they provide in the Horizon Court buffet. It makes sense. Afternoon tea is only available for a very short window of time, so plan accordingly.

We really enjoyed it and plan on doing it again on our future Princess cruises. In essence, the process is not any different than any other room service order. Enjoy!

I think it all depends on who you talk to...and many people who I have spoken to from the UK..have thought it wonderful, others from England(more proper) or some of the commonwealths do not....but it is free, what does one expect. It has been rumored that other lines that offer tea do a much better job.

Is all I know is I have enjoyed it on Princess....certainly, they have scaled back on the choices..I miss the creme puff swans...

It is not a bad tea by any means. In England, there is a huge difference between "tea" and "high tea."

Yes, I've had much fancier "tea" on two other cruise lines, but they came with a charge. I've very happy with the "free" tea on Princess. And, on Princess, I do "tea" more than once on a cruise. On lines where there is the charge, I do it once if at all.