Alaska..what not to forget?

svcalum07

Maybe another memory card for your camera? Photo opportunities abound!

May need to add a tripod or at least a monopod if your camera's back plane isn't fast enough to shoot under dark skys with a telephoto lens.

A good list so far. A few things to add:

Extra shoes and socks. Your feet will get wet, and few things in life are worse than putting on wet shoes while on vacation....

An informal sweatshirt for lounging around the ship (we prefer hoodies).

A backpack, or something that you can take with you in port (you'll shed layers and will need a place for them).

Have a blast!

One thing I wish I had not brought is formal attire, we were too conked out either formal night to make it to dinner in the dining room—just didn’t feel like dressing up. Then again, we had the choice of wearing it if we wanted to.

I can't emphasize the need for rain gear enough. We prefer ponchos but a lightweight rain suit might be something you (and us) might consider.

Binoculars are a must for us, too.

This. And if you get home without breaking out the rain gear consider yourself blessed. Ours is still in the original packaging. :) And while we did pack them (and found them 20 minutes later already safely tucked in a cabin desk drawer) for a few moments neither my wife or I remembered unpacking the binoculars. I had specifically recalled exactly where they were when I packed them and was worried that I might have messed up in shifting some last minute weight prior to my airport departure. Turns out one of us pulled them from luggage and the other quickly put away aboard the ship. I hate getting old and feeble minded!

This. And if you get home without breaking out the rain gear consider yourself blessed. Ours is still in the original packaging. :) And while we did pack them (and found them 20 minutes later already safely tucked in a cabin desk drawer) for a few moments neither my wife or I remembered unpacking the binoculars. I had specifically recalled exactly where they were when I packed them and was worried that I might have messed up in shifting some last minute weight prior to my airport departure. Turns out one of us pulled them from luggage and the other quickly put away aboard the ship. I hate getting old and feeble minded!

As you get old you loose two things, your memory and I ... can't remember the other thing!

We usually leave these types of items out with the covers off as you never know when you will have to grab them.

As for rain, it is not if, it's when. If you are lucky the when is those times you are not in it.

May need to add a tripod or at least a monopod if your camera's back plane isn't fast enough to shoot under dark skys with a telephoto lens.

Or a chain pod. Easier to carry although obviously not as much increase in camera stability.

DON

Or a chain pod. Easier to carry although obviously not as much increase in camera stability.

DON

A lot depends on the camera. Some now days have such a fast back plane you can hand hold a 300 mm shot witout degradation if you know how to hold the cameta.