Nautical Miles

Betledie

Hello everybody, I have a question.

How/where can I find the real Nautical miles of the cruiseships I've been on for the past 7 years. I have a map of the world and I like to indicate the places I have been and the route the ship went and the real Nautical miles for every trip ? I think they called it a "cruise log".

I hope you understand my quedtion 'cause english is not my native language.

Greez Betledie.

Hi,

There are several websites that calculate distances (and times) by sea, here's a couple

https://sea-distances.org/

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/voyage-planner

Google "nautical distances" for more.

I think they all just calculate from port to port, so you'll have to check each journey separately.

Google has its own, but you have to put in latitudes & longitudes - you can't do it by using port names.

JB :)

Thank you John.

When I calculate the distance Zeebrugge - Dover I get less nautical miles then the Costa Mediterranea gave me = 91nm and Marine Traffic Voyager planner = 83nm. That's why I 'm looking for the cruise log with the real nm. :confused: But if it is not possible I will calculate from port to port.

Highly doubt that you will find the cruise logs of previous cruise available online. They are also determined before the end of the cruise, so should at best be considered estimates.

The Marine Traffic - voyage planner website is probably the more accurate for including traffic routing systems, currents, etc.

Please note that sites like marinetraffic and sea-distances.org use the maritime definition of "port to port distance", meaning from sea buoy to sea buoy. They do not add in things like maneuvering distances, unless they are very significant like the river transit in New Orleans. In your instance of Zeebrugge to Dover, this "in harbor" distance is not great, but at other ports it can be more. Also, these sites use the "rhumb line" or "great circle" routes (depending on length), and the ship may actually deviate from these courses. Not sure what your definition of "real nm" is. A ship can travel a different number of miles between the same ports on different weeks, due to traffic, weather, etc. There is no official "cruise log" of distances traveled for a ship, though this may be kept as other useless information for years in deep, dark archives that even the shipping lines hate to search in.

A ship can travel a different number of miles between the same ports on different weeks, due to traffic, weather, etc.

Yes, and the Straits of Dover is one of the busiest shipping channels in the world. :eek:

The Marine Traffic website has Zeebrugge to Dover at 83nm, but Dover to Zeebrugge at 80nm, due to the defined shipping lanes - and that's excluding giving way to other traffic.

BTW, does steam still give way to sail, or is that now just a romantic notion?

Here in the Solent, little sailboats that stray get chased away by police & harbourmaster boats when a big container or cruise ship steams through :D

Yes, and the Straits of Dover is one of the busiest shipping channels in the world. :eek:

The Marine Traffic website has Zeebrugge to Dover at 83nm, but Dover to Zeebrugge at 80nm, due to the defined shipping lanes - and that's excluding giving way to other traffic.

BTW, does steam still give way to sail, or is that now just a romantic notion?

Here in the Solent, little sailboats that stray get chased away by police & harbourmaster boats when a big container or cruise ship steams through :D

The Rules of the Road still stipulate that sail has right of way, but there are other considerations, like the fact that most commercial ships are "constrained by draft" into channels, while small sail boats can go where they please, so in that case, the ship constrained by draft has right of way.

The Rules of the Road still stipulate that sail has right of way, but there are other considerations, like the fact that most commercial ships are "constrained by draft" into channels, while small sail boats can go where they please, so in that case, the ship constrained by draft has right of way.

Now you're in my wheelhouse. ;) Our saying in the CG to remember right of way pecking order is....Often Non Rates Can Fool Senior People Sometimes.

(Overtaken, Not under command, Restricted ability to maneuver, Constrained by draft, Fishing, Sail, Power, Seaplanes)

Now you're in my wheelhouse. ;) Our saying in the CG to remember right of way pecking order is....Often Non Rates Can Fool Senior People Sometimes.

(Overtaken, Not under command, Restricted ability to maneuver, Constrained by draft, Fishing, Sail, Power, Seaplanes)

I prefer the Rule of Gross Tonnage. ;p

Others have correctly outlined the precedence in the Colregs (Int Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea); however, another rule also permits departure from the rules and the taking of any action to avoid collision. In open waters the Colregs work, but in tidal, coastal waters common sense must compliment the regs.

In open waters, giving way to a sail boat is easy, especially when action is implemented a few miles out.

Narrow channels, with high currents the big ship can't manoeuvre, as required, so the sailboat must give way . Most sailboat operators are reasonable, but I have encountered way too many that attended a sailboat course and learned one thing - "Steam gives way to sail" When running with a following current (up to 7 kts) I have experienced a few sailboats that tried to cross a narrow channel directly ahead of us. When the current runs hard, you only saw sailboats with a following tide, as they didn't have the power to buck the big tide.

In the Solent, the mega cruise ships and big box boats must stay within the narrow channel. Even the buoyed channel is fairly shallow. They also have some tight turns, especially the approach into Southampton. No way sailboats should be in the navigable channel.

There's a little rhyme:

Here lies the body of Michael Day,

Who insisted on having his right of way.

His course was true and his will was strong,

But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

:)