American Cruise Lines

Just returned from a cruise down the Mississippi from Memphis to New Orleans on their riverboat America. What a disappointment. I would not recommend this trip to anyone under eighty. The boat needs to be refurbished, the excursions are large bus trips, with stops at highway rest areas, the food is too limited, nothing going on after nine at night, no movie channels. My husband and I and another couple had wanted to do this trip for years. We all had done European river cruises and we were so impressed with small number of passengers, that we thought we should do the USA. We are mid sixty’s and felt we were too young for this type of travel.

I thought the America was recently built for ACL ??

We did American Queen steamship Company trip a few years ago it was lively at night

maybe more research was needed

we decided against ACL for various reasons

Maybe post on the forum for ACL as well as a review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1059

I think this might be the same line that used to cruise past our house when we lived right on the Intracoastal Waterway in NC. But think it was the American-Canadian line. They used to sail up the Hudson River, then the Erie canal and would end up in Chicago or was it Detroit? It would stop for the night in Beaufort, NC.

Once when we were on a cruise in Nassau we saw the same ship and it had no passengers so were given a tour of the ship. They had a piano if a passenger wanted to play it and you brought your own alcohol. There was no entertainment at all.

The cabins were something else. The bathroom was so small, it had a curtain, not a door. And there was no room to walk anywhere in the cabins.

The ship had a bridge that would sink down so they could get under bridges along the Erie canal.

They had no pool just a deck to sit on.

It seemed like a ship for really OLD people. Sound fun to go up the Hudson River but, not on those ships!

I think this might be the same line that used to cruise past our house when we lived right on the Intracoastal Waterway in NC. But think it was the American-Canadian line.

Yes different cruise line now Blount

like camping on the water ;p

The food was good that is all I can say about them