Jan 6, 2006 Island Princess Mini-Suite Oversold Situation

funforsun

Just got a call from Princess today....they have oversold the minisuites and were offering me $4500 shipboard credit, that would turn into a credit to my credit card on the unused protion. I would have to go into a regular balcony suite.

I told them to pound sand. (nicely, of course)

My question is, does this mean that I need to make sure I get to the port EARLY go make sure I have my room? Will (or can) they put me in a regular balcony suite without my approval?

Iwas just making sure that wasn't a typo and maybe you meant 450.00 :D

4500.00 is a lot of $$$$ :eek:

I am not on your cruise but I think I might be convinced to take the $$ and run.

25th anniversary.....wanted as special an experience as possible.

You are one heck of a wonderful hubby!;)

For the money -- I'd probably commit the wonderful man in my life now to a shrink's couch if he turned down that offer!!! that's a whole 'nuther cruise :)

Amen!

well, maybe they will contact you again and offer you even more. I would hope my honey would take the money and immediately book the two of us another cruise( we are celebrating our 30th in March and I sure could use another cruise :) )

well, maybe they will contact you again and offer you even more. I would hope my honey would take the money and immediately book the two of us another cruise( we are celebrating our 30th in March and I sure could use another cruise :) )

I don't think so....I'm certain that based on all of your responses, the offer would have been accepted by enough people fairly quickly.

Hope the mini-suite is worth it. :o

Wow, I would be thrilled to get that kind of offer!!! I would take the money, negotiate the location to be near my folks and then book another cruise!!! Maybe they will over book for April too!!! :D Of course, they must be really over booked to not offer you an upgrade! Although to take that cruise for $1,500 I would put up with a lot of stuff!!!

This happened to us on our 12/17 cruise on Grand Princess. They had oversold balcony and were offering $850 shipboard credit plus upgrade to a mini-suite if we would cruise on another date. I seriously considered it but our dates to cruise were very restricted and so we couldn't take Princess up on the offer. I wonder how often they "oversell"?:cool:

Wow--$4500!!! I have never heard of anyone getting an offer of even half of that. I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Very nice thing for you to do but not sure your DW would agree with your decision. Was she aware of the offer? And, no, they cannot put you in a lower category once you are confirmed.

WOWOWOWOWOWOW That's all I can say!!! My husband and I went for our 25th and stayed in an inside cabin, so I would have definately taken the money and booked another cruise! I definately like the oceanview and balcony rooms but as far as suites go, even though I have not stayed in one, we are so rarely in our room that it doesn't make sense to me to pay that much more for some space that I won't use. The whole cruise experience is so much more than the room!! Gee, 25th anniversary.....$4500 could've bought a nice piece of jewelry out there!! :rolleyes: Oh well, you did what you thought was best, and I'm sure she'll appreciate it!!! HAVE FUN!!!

That is an unbelieveable amount for overbooking. My wife and I have a mini-suite booked for March 7. If presented the same offer, we would take the credit (if applicable to another cruise either by Princess or my credit card!). But everyone's situation and schedule is different, we have the flexibility to do it. Hope they have the same situation when our turn comes around!

I am booked on a Mini-Suite for April. If that offer comes my way. Everyone better move out of the way of the tropical storm created, by the breeze of how fast my hand would be out. That is the price of my cruise. Are we sure he heard the amount correctly? That seems alot for a room change, even though it is a downgrade.

Nancy

Am I reading something wrong?

The first post sounds like they want them to move to a suite from a minin suite ON THE SAME CRUISE?????????????

Or did they mean to say a regular balcony cabin???????

I saw nothing about changing cruise dates???

Boy am I confused...

:confused: Ted

Am I reading something wrong?

The first post sounds like they want them to move to a suite from a minin suite ON THE SAME CRUISE?????????????

Or did they mean to say a regular balcony cabin???????

I saw nothing about changing cruise dates???

Boy am I confused...

:confused: Ted

No, that is not correct. I was asked to DOWNGRADE from a mini-suite to a regular balcony suite on the 15-day LA to Hawaii cruise departing LA on Jan 6, 2006. I think that is why they were offing so much money as an inducement.

Having stayed in both the Mini-Suite (Diamond) and a balcony room (Grand) there is no way I would have turned down this offer. The difference between the rooms was not significant enough to impress me that much. I would have taken the offer from Princess in a heartbeat and booked another cruise with the extra money. Two vacations for one, what a deal!

Avid cruiser here with more than 16 cruises but for that kind of credit...I would downgrade for sure...Yes the minisuite has the bigger bathroom and the sitting area but I dont think they are worth the $4500 credit to change rooms!!!!!!!

I would take it in a heartbeat. We were just on the IP and in a Mini-Suite and found we were not in our cabin as much as I thought we would be. The only big difference is the shower versa a small bath tub, the room is a bit smaller but I am sure you would be comfortable. That would of taken care of my bill at the end of the trip and left me a little to put on my Tahiti cruise.

I would talk it over with the wife and reconsider! You could give her 2 cruises for you 25th instead of 1...:D

This also happened to us on one of our Panama Canal cruises. The regular balcony cabins were sold out on the Sun Princess and they offered us approx $1500 credit to switch weeks. Plus the new cruise was one night longer AND on the brand new at the time Ocean Princess.

We took it. They booked the same balcony cabin type for us on the new cruise. We were thrilled. I would definitely go for the $4500 credit. Your experience would still be special and you could celebrate all that money refunded.

Archived