Any good cruise suggestions for Summer 2019?

If you haven't done the Panama Canal. Maybe that's something you could look at.

That would be an excellent suggestion for the OP, but no Oasis class ship or any ship with the amenities the OP is looking for will fit through that canal. It is a fun itinerary though. We enjoyed it.

From reading the posts you are between a rock and a hard place. All your posts indicate you love the Oasis class ships, but are tired of there itineraries. Unfortunately the Oasis class ship is a warm weather ship and only comes warm weather climate in either the Mediterranean or Eastern or Western Caribbean. These ships will never do Alaska. You do not like the Anthem, and this do not want to do the Ovation in Alaska. You are wishy washy about the Radiance in Alaska as it is small compared to the Oasis.

Based on your posts I’d suggest you stick to what is familiar or you could face disappointment. Stick with an Oasis class ship in the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Based on your posts this is the only viable option. No other line has anything close to the Oasis.

Another option in Alaska, however, is the Norwegian Bliss. Breakaway plus class and brand new. Lots of things to do and in Alaska, but it’s still not an Oasis ship, but at least an alternative to Ovation in Alaska.

Now I am really wishing Explorer was staying in Alaska as I would choose her...

I've done a lot of the Caribbean and Med though, and once I have done Symphony, where can I really go with the Oasis Class? I'll have done all 4 of them by mid-July.

We also love Oasis class ships but did Alaska on the Radiance last year.

She was a nice ship. She could use a sprucing up. We were on her for the 9 day.

To be honest, we were so busy doing things in the different ports and watching the beauty of Alaska go by, we didn’t miss all of the stuff the Oasis class ships had.

Alaska is such a different experience than the Caribbean. So much beauty and nature to be seen. It is an enchanting place. Don’t deny yourself the chance to discover this gem because of the size of the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also love Oasis class ships but did Alaska on the Radiance last year.

She was a nice ship. She could use a sprucing up. We were on her for the 9 day.

To be honest, we were so busy doing things in the different ports and watching the beauty of Alaska go by, we didn’t miss all of the stuff the Oasis class ships had.

Alaska is such a different experience than the Caribbean. So much beauty and nature to be seen. It is an enchanting place. Don’t deny yourself the chance to discover this gem because of the size of the ship!

Thanks for your comments.

The issue with Radiance would be the two at sea days. I have been attending more of the Cruise Director's Staff activities recently, so that could fill some time, but the tiny pool was an issue when we sailed SR and the ship didn't have much else to offer. I'll put it down as a possibility but worry about a lack of things to do.

Alaska is the next new destination that I want to see. I've seen all that the Oasis Class has to offer and will have done Med and Caribbean a lot on them, so I am ready for a change in scenery and ship.

All ships for next summer:

SY - Miami to Caribbean

HM - Port Canaveral to Caribbean

AL - FLL to Caribbean

OA - Barcelona to Med

SP - China

OV - Seattle to Alaska

AN - Bayonne to Bermuda/Caribbean

QN - China

IN - Southampton to Med/Canaries

LB - Galveston to Caribbean

FR - San Juan to Caribbean

MR - Port Canaveral to Bahamas

NV - Miami to Bahamas

AD - Bayonne to Canada/NE/Bahamas

EX - Southampton to Med/Canaries/Scandinavia

VY - Hong Kong/Singapore

JW - Civitavecchia to Med

SR - Copenhagen/Stockholm to Baltic

BR - Amsterdam to Northern Europe

RD - Vancouver/Seward to Alaska

VI - Barcelona to Med

EN - Galveston to Caribbean

RH - Venice to Med

GR - Baltimore to Canada/NE/Bahamas/Caribbean

MJ - Cuba

EM - Cuba

i am worried that any other ship will feel small compared to Symphony, but at the same time, I don't want to sail the same ship every year. Have I outgrown Royal Caribbean now or can I still find a cruise for next year that fits what I want?

I am not sure what you want us to tell you. Only you can decide if other ships feel small. You seem to have been on an Oasis, Brilliance, Fredom, Voyager and Vision class ship. Only you know if a ship feels small to you.

I have been on expedition ships for two weeks at a time with only 50 other passengers with 6 straight sea days on EXTREMELY rough seas so much so that you had seat belts in your bed, and I was content listening to the lectures and photoshopping pics and reading books. You were bored on the Anthem. Only you know what you can tolerate. We unfortunately do not know your tolerance for ships, but based on your posts it is Oasis Class or bust.

I suggest you explore land based vacations at this point.

Ships and itineraries I have already done:

Jewel of the Seas - 12NT Scandinavia/Russia

Independence of the Seas - 14NT Italian Mediterranean & 11NT Canary Islands (x2)

Enchantment of the Seas - 9NT Canada & New England

Explorer of the Seas - 9NT Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean (also done on AN)

Serenade of the Seas - 12NT Mediterranean Greek Isles

Oasis of the Seas - 7NT Western Caribbean (also done on HM)

Allure of the Seas - 7NT Western Mediterranean (also done on HM and soon on SY)

Anthem of the Seas - see Explorer

Harmony of the Seas - 7NT Eastern Caribbean, see Oasis and Allure.

NEXT:

Symphony of the Seas - see Allure

I've had the privilege of seeing many ships and great places, but am ready for something new.

My friend and did Liberty out of Galveston last April doing it again

Next April different ports.

My friend and did Liberty out of Galveston last April doing it again

Next April different ports.

How was it compared to other ships? Also, how is sailing out of Galveston vs. other home ports?

Liberty is a great ship. And don’t let Texas scare you! We have done many cruises on her. It’s a bit of a pain to get to Galveston but it just takes some extra planning. The ocean is brown not blue sailing out of there as it’s a mud flat but the ports of call are great and she’s a great ship. Texans for the most part are very friendly and polite.

That said we are tired of the same old ports of call and summer of 19 have chosen to take Adventure to Bermuda and the Northeast on a B2B. Smaller ship but still big enough. We cruise more for the ports which is why to us the Oasis ships just don’t fit the bill.

Nothing compares to the Oasis class. But we like Voyager class, Freedom class and Radiance class for the more interesting ports of call. So your choice needs to be ship or ports of call. If the ship is your destination stick with what you like. But there’s a whole world out there that an Oasis class ship can’t or won’t port at.

I am not sure what you want us to tell you. Only you can decide if other ships feel small. You seem to have been on an Oasis, Brilliance, Fredom, Voyager and Vision class ship. Only you know if a ship feels small to you.

I have been on expedition ships for two weeks at a time with only 50 other passengers with 6 straight sea days on EXTREMELY rough seas so much so that you had seat belts in your bed, and I was content listening to the lectures and photoshopping pics and reading books. You were bored on the Anthem. Only you know what you can tolerate. We unfortunately do not know your tolerance for ships, but based on your posts it is Oasis Class or bust.

I suggest you explore land based vacations at this point.

I've done almost every class of ship in the RCI fleet. Independence was the ship that got me into cruising. I've only had 3 cruises that fell a bit short (Enchantment, Serenade and Anthem)

It's not a case of Oasis Class or bust, because after sailing Symphony, there is nothing else for me to do on that class until O5 comes out, unless they offer a new itinerary.

How was it compared to other ships? Also, how is sailing out of Galveston vs. other home ports?

I would suggest you give other ships of the same class you like a swcond

I did not do that itinerary, but have done a TA on the Liberty and I loved the Liberty. It’s has even for more stuff now since it was refurbished like the boomerang slide thing on the back of the ship.

Edited by rimmit

I did not do that itinerary, but have done a TA on the Liberty and I loved the Liberty. It’s even for more stuff now since it was refurbished like the boomerang slide thing on the back of the ship.

I've been wanting to do Liberty for a while. Indy would be even better, but I won't be able to convince my group to come from Southampton. Quite frankly, I would sail any ship with a waterslide.

You really can cruise any ship in Alaska. Alaska is so port intensive. After an axillerating day in port, we would get back to ship, shower, nap, a late dinner and then bed.

Try going on a solo cruise without your group. YOU WILL LOVE IT! Cruising Alaska solo will be AMAZING!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Have you thought of taking the 8 night on Adventure out of FLL that goes to the S. Caribbean? I'm thinking of that one.

I want to try Adventure at some point, but planning to avoid her next year as my least favorite Cruise Director is said to be going there. I probably won't be able to cruise during Winter either. July and possibly a 2nd one in October if it lines up with timings and is a good deal.

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this conversation up again as I was having the 'next cruise' conversation with one of the group in the hottub tonight.

I am loving it here on Symphony, just as I loved all 3 of her sisters. However, we agreed that we don't want to do Western Med or Caribbean next summer, so that rules Oasis Class out. Rules out Liberty as well. As said previously, I don't care for Quantum Class which rules out either Anthem or Ovation. Also worried about a Radiance or Vision Class having a lack of activities.

I also don't want to do a land vacation either. Need my yearly cruising fix alongside the fact that land vacations are exhausting.

Really not sure what to do. FYI - It has to be early to mid July.

Edited by Joe12

You really can cruise any ship in Alaska. Alaska is so port intensive. After an axillerating day in port, we would get back to ship, shower, nap, a late dinner and then bed.

Try going on a solo cruise without your group. YOU WILL LOVE IT! Cruising Alaska solo will be AMAZING!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I totally agree. We went to Alaska last summer and it was wonderful! Went on Celebrity (one-way Southbound) because that was the week I wanted to go and Radiance was doing north-bound that week. Highly recommend!

I'm still loving it here, but am not happy about walking off the gangway on Sunday morning without an idea of where/when my next RCI cruise will be. I am unable go solo for a number of reasons, as I would otherwise do the Independence which could possibly compare to Harmony and Symphony as she's had a major refurb. Caribbean and Western Med have been ruled out, so I am totally stuck. I should also mention that I am celebrating something special next year, so want to do something enjoyable.

I wouldn't let the ship or cruise line deter you from Alaska. We went in May on a HAL cruise and it was just amazing. I'm sure you can find one that suits your taste! Another option might be Norwegian's Pride of America in Hawaii? That and a southern caribbean are on my bucket list. I'm booking Freedom for next summer...I know the ship is due for dry dock, but I'm so into the itinerary!

What do you mean you are scared of Galveston? We sailed from there in January. Easy/breezy.

Why does your group not like South Hampton? I'm considering a cruise from there.

Without getting into politics, I find it a bit conservative for my liking, not to mention that Galveston is a fair distance to Houston Airport.

They dislike Southampton because it is full of tacky Brits (their words not mines) who aren't always the best guests to sail with. A lot of drinking, smoking, sunbathing etc. It's compared to a floating Benidorm.

Well they probably wouldn’t like the Galveston port either. Me being one of those redneck conservative cruisers it didn’t bother me but it might with your group. One thing I did note for sure was that there were certainly a lot of overweight ppl ( me being one) on the ship. Sorry for some reason I can’t find my comma key.