Our Tentative Itinerary - Advice Appreciated!!!

cltcruzer

We're doing a 7 night cruise from Whittier to Vancouver leaving July 4th with 6 days DIY before the cruise. For us this is truly a "once in a lifetime" trip so we are going all out and spending whatever it takes to do Alaska right. I am 31 going with my 60 year old mother (birthday present!) We aren't "active" but can walk a couple mile here and there. Our focus is scenery, wildlife and glaciers. We want to see and do as much as we can, but not overdo it as we've read that isn't the smartest way to go about Alaska. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, or advice is very much appreciated!

Day 1: Arrive in Anchorage 3:15AM - too late to get a hotel, so we'll sleep on the long plane rides, pick up the rental car and drive to Denali, explore the visitor center, then Denali Dinner Theatre

Day 2: 6AM Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson. FlyDenali helicopter tour w/ glacier landing that evening.

Day 3: Drive back to Anchorage, check in to Clarion Suites downtown, go to the Anchorage Market, and do the Anchorage Trolley Tour

Day 4: Drive to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center and do the Byron Glacier Trail. On our way back to Anchorage, do the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Alyeska tram. Deciding between Flat Top Mountain Overlook Trail or exploring the Kincaid Park and Point Woronzof areas after dinner to end the night

Day 5: Alaska Railroad roundtrip to Seward booked in combination with a Kenai Fjords tour through Major Marine. Will be back in Anchorage at 9:30 for the night

Day 6: Magic Bus to Whittier. 26 Glacier Cruise before we board our Princess Cruise that night (leaves at 8:30pm)

Our cruise stops in Skagway (Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion w/ Dog Sled Experience - through Chilkoot Charters), Juneau (Harv & Marv Whale Watching Tour, then Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center & Nugget Falls on our own), and Ketchikan (Misty Fjords Seaplane - Taquan Air).

Just got back from Alaska...took my mom who is 74.

To me, your itinerary is pretty packed.

I personally would recommend possibly getting a hotel room near the airport. You can check in online then just go crash for a few hours before the drive to Denali. We found the flights much more exhausting than expected. Mom’s knee was hurting after the long hours of sitting which severely impacted her ability to get around for much of the trip (we ultimately had to rent a wheelchair for the ship). Having some built in flexible time helped us a lot. If you get some sleep before you start driving, it might be easier to enjoy the ride.

We went to Iditarod Trail Headquarters in Wasilla and the Reindeer Farm in Palmer. Both are worthwhile stops and could be incorporated into your trip to/from Denali.

Anchorage is not that large, and it’s easy to get around and also to pick up any sundries you need for the trip. If you get a chance to eat some pizza at Moose’s Tooth, do it. It was my favorite meal the entire trip. Go early. It stays busy.

"Day 2: 6AM Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson. FlyDenali helicopter tour w/ glacier landing that evening. "

You might have a problem since FlyDenali does not operate helicopters, only fixed wing aircraft with deployable skis.

P6136959-2-Edit.jpg

Make sure you check with Princess to see what is the latest boarding time. You don’t want to be denied boarding.

Wow that is a jam packed itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am a little worried it is *too* packed. If anyone who has done a bunch of these items has advice for what could be removed, or if anything might be repetitive, that is what I'm hoping to get out of this thread.

I appreciate the suggestion to call Princess about the boarding times. Several people on CC said I should be good doing the 26 glacier cruise before the Princess Cruise, but calling to Princess to make sure seems like a very good idea.

Just got back from Alaska...took my mom who is 74.

To me, your itinerary is pretty packed.

I personally would recommend possibly getting a hotel room near the airport. You can check in online then just go crash for a few hours before the drive to Denali. We found the flights much more exhausting than expected. Mom’s knee was hurting after the long hours of sitting which severely impacted her ability to get around for much of the trip (we ultimately had to rent a wheelchair for the ship). Having some built in flexible time helped us a lot. If you get some sleep before you start driving, it might be easier to enjoy the ride.

We went to Iditarod Trail Headquarters in Wasilla and the Reindeer Farm in Palmer. Both are worthwhile stops and could be incorporated into your trip to/from Denali.

Anchorage is not that large, and it’s easy to get around and also to pick up any sundries you need for the trip. If you get a chance to eat some pizza at Moose’s Tooth, do it. It was my favorite meal the entire trip. Go early. It stays busy.

The initial day's lack of sleep has been a concern. If we feel we are too tired to safely make the drive, we will try to get a hotel when we arrive. Hopefully there will still be some availability if that is what we need to do. We don't have anything set in stone until the 7:30 denali dinner theatre, so if we need to sleep and leave Anchorage a bit later, it shouldn't mess anything up.

We are planning on going to Moose's Tooth the evening we return from the wildlife center and Alyeska tram. Have heard great things and are excited to give it a try!

"Day 2: 6AM Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson. FlyDenali helicopter tour w/ glacier landing that evening. "

You might have a problem since FlyDenali does not operate helicopters, only fixed wing aircraft with deployable skis.

P6136959-2-Edit.jpg

Given that this is supposed to be one of the highlights of our trip, I shouldn't have forgotten that not so minor detail. While on this topic.... is the small fixed wing plane a significantly different (more scary?) ride than a helicopter? Should I take something for motion sickness before going? Our main hope here is that they don't cancel the glacier landing. With a packed schedule it would be difficult to make that happen later in the trip... our only backup plan, if it does get cancelled, is to try to do a glacier landing with Alpine Air Alaska in Alyeska the day we're in that area. Unfortunately with it being the busiest time of year, I kind of expect Alpine Air to be all booked up, and that a last-minute decision to fly with them wouldn't work.

We were in Juneau a week ago on the Coral Princess and did the whale watch with Harv and Marv - it was outstanding! If you are not going on the early morning trip, you may not have enough time to then go to Mendenhall, depending on when the All Aboard time is (ours was 4:30). Also, just know that glacier landings are always dependent on the weather... Have a great trip!

I am a little worried it is *too* packed. If anyone who has done a bunch of these items has advice for what could be removed, or if anything might be repetitive, that is what I'm hoping to get out of this thread.

I appreciate the suggestion to call Princess about the boarding times. Several people on CC said I should be good doing the 26 glacier cruise before the Princess Cruise, but calling to Princess to make sure seems like a very good idea.

We have been to Alyeska. We thought it was pretty, but we would not go back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Given that this is supposed to be one of the highlights of our trip, I shouldn't have forgotten that not so minor detail. While on this topic.... is the small fixed wing plane a significantly different (more scary?) ride than a helicopter? Should I take something for motion sickness before going? Our main hope here is that they don't cancel the glacier landing. With a packed schedule it would be difficult to make that happen later in the trip... our only backup plan, if it does get cancelled, is to try to do a glacier landing with Alpine Air Alaska in Alyeska the day we're in that area. Unfortunately with it being the busiest time of year, I kind of expect Alpine Air to be all booked up, and that a last-minute decision to fly with them wouldn't work.

The FlyDenali flight is very smooth and does not make the sudden movements that a helicopter does. Should be no motion sickness issues. Imagine a seat that is narrower/shorter-backed than an airline seat and about 12 inches from the floor which puts your knees into your chest. With no way to stretch your folded legs while aboard for two hours, stepping out of the aircraft is a wonderful feeling.

My glacier landing was cancelled last year due to ground fog at the six prospective landing sites. In place of the landing, we got more air time and upon landing received a $50 refund check.

Here is a link to my FlyDenali flight:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/fly-denali/

The FlyDenali flight is very smooth and does not make the sudden movements that a helicopter does. Should be no motion sickness issues. Imagine a seat that is narrower/shorter-backed than an airline seat and about 12 inches from the floor which puts your knees into your chest. With no way to stretch your folded legs while aboard for two hours,

In my opinion, this is totally inaccurate. There can be a LOT of movement in these planes and I've flown with numerous sick passengers. Based on hundreds of flights.

Unless you know for sure that both of you would sleep on the plane, I would reconsider day 1-3. I would take a drive to Denali more rested either stop in talkeetna or Wasilla for one night or stay in anchorage first night. I preferred things outside anchorage so I am biased in only recommending passing through anchorage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We're doing a 7 night cruise from Whittier to Vancouver leaving July 4th with 6 days DIY before the cruise. For us this is truly a "once in a lifetime" trip so we are going all out and spending whatever it takes to do Alaska right. I am 31 going with my 60 year old mother (birthday present!) We aren't "active" but can walk a couple mile here and there. Our focus is scenery, wildlife and glaciers. We want to see and do as much as we can, but not overdo it as we've read that isn't the smartest way to go about Alaska. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, or advice is very much appreciated!

Day 1: Arrive in Anchorage 3:15AM - too late to get a hotel, so we'll sleep on the long plane rides, pick up the rental car and drive to Denali, explore the visitor center, then Denali Dinner Theatre

Day 2: 6AM Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson. FlyDenali helicopter tour w/ glacier landing that evening.

Day 3: Drive back to Anchorage, check in to Clarion Suites downtown, go to the Anchorage Market, and do the Anchorage Trolley Tour

Day 4: Drive to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center and do the Byron Glacier Trail. On our way back to Anchorage, do the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Alyeska tram. Deciding between Flat Top Mountain Overlook Trail or exploring the Kincaid Park and Point Woronzof areas after dinner to end the night

Day 5: Alaska Railroad roundtrip to Seward booked in combination with a Kenai Fjords tour through Major Marine. Will be back in Anchorage at 9:30 for the night

Day 6: Magic Bus to Whittier. 26 Glacier Cruise before we board our Princess Cruise that night (leaves at 8:30pm)

Our cruise stops in Skagway (Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion w/ Dog Sled Experience - through Chilkoot Charters), Juneau (Harv & Marv Whale Watching Tour, then Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center & Nugget Falls on our own), and Ketchikan (Misty Fjords Seaplane - Taquan Air).

Although, it appears you have a priority to take the train, I think it is a poor plan in your case. This trip is a short amount of time, and you have a lot of back tracking. Way superior would be to get a one way car rental. You are wasting hours. Seward is way lees than ideal on a day trip. Significantly better to consider an overnight, then go direct to Whittier. Loads more worthwhile touring you can include.

As mentioned, verify your flying. Especially the details of the routes. Unless you have a summit flight- you could end up not seeing the top. I don't personally find the glacier landing a preference for me, as it is just going to be packed snow. I want the scenic flying. :)

Another suggestion would be to do the flight, out of Talkeetna on your way back to Anchorage.

Another suggestion would be to do the flight, out of Talkeetna on your way back to Anchorage.

Looks like K2 out of Talkeetna would be about $300 cheaper than what we have with Fly Denali. Do you have a preference between those companies or can you explain the difference between the 2? I can see K2's flight plans, but Fly Denali doesn't post theirs online.

Be sure and spend some time out on deck after the sailaway from Whittier. The first couple of hours are IMHO some of the most scenic on your trip. Too many people are tired from traveling to get to the ship and miss this best part. I'd skip the Welcome aboard show and be out on deck

Be sure and spend some time out on deck after the sailaway from Whittier. The first couple of hours are IMHO some of the most scenic on your trip. Too many people are tired from traveling to get to the ship and miss this best part. I'd skip the Welcome aboard show and be out on deck

Thank you for this advice. This is not only our first trip to Alaska, but our first cruise period, and I couldn't find much info about the welcome aboard show... But with our relatively late arrival to the ship, meaning a late dinner after the muster drill, I was hoping the "welcome aboard show" was something we could miss, as we'd prefer to do exactly what you said and spend time after dinner exploring the ship and out on deck

Are you coming from the Midwest or the eastern US? If so, take into account the time change (4 hours from the east, 3 from the Midwest) as well as everything else. What if you don't sleep on the plane? It's your dime of course, but I wouldn't plan any activities for your second night; you're probably going to just collapse in a heap.

As for flightseeing around Denali, one problem that you can't foresee is poor weather, which will result in flights being scrubbed or shortened. I also generally suggest that one should compare flightseeing options out of Anchorage as well as any out of Talkeetna; the benefit of the Anchorage operators (like Rust's on Lake Hood) is that they have multiple destinations available, so if the flying conditions around Denali are poor, you can swap itineraries - maybe something over Prince William Sound, or over Knik Glacier and the Chugach mountains, even across Cook Inlet to volcano and bear country.

...so we are going all out and spending whatever it takes to do Alaska right.... Our focus is scenery, wildlife and glaciers...

In light of the above, and just as a thought experiment or an idea you might dismiss out of hand, what if you changed your plans pretty dramatically like this:

Do a Denali flight (with or without a glacier landing) from Anchorage, then do a bear viewing trip also from Anchorage. Yes, that means skipping the (long and IMO not very enjoyable) drive between Anchorage and Denali, but is also means not sitting on a school bus for 8 hours or more hoping to see wildlife, which might be up close or so distant that you'll have to use your imagination rather than eyeballs.

You could partially offset the cost of the bear flight by not having an expensive rental car for three or four days, and could stay in cheaper Anchorage accommodations rather than pricey ones near Denali (don't know where you're staying, but just an assumption.)

You might also find cost offsets during the cruise, for example by renting a car in Skagway and driving up into the Yukon instead of the train, or staying more local in Ketchikan and allowing the Denali and bear flights earlier to stand in for the Misty Fjords flights. I don't know, maybe the "bear" scenario would end up costing more, but it sure might come closer to meeting your aims than the "I drove all night" scenario. Anyway, just a thought.

I know someone previously posted they did not feel a day trip to Seeard was a great idea. We drove down to Seeard and back to Anchorage in one day. We did the Orca Quest tour with Major Marine and had a beautiful day out on the water. We saw otter, kittiwake, puffin, stellar sea lions, humpback whales, fin whales, and orca. This was just a four hour tour which was plenty for us. Oh, yeah, the first humpback came up RIGHT NEXT to the boat bubble net feeding.

We had to pick and choose what are top things were, so staying overnight in Seward was not in our best interest. We were flexible with our dates and times, so I waited until the weather looked good to do the drive down from Anchorage. The drive itself was part of the adventure—really beautiful scenery.

My question would be if you had to pick between the Denali area and Seward/Kenai Penninsula, which would you pick? If you concentrate on just one area with your five days, you might have a little more flexibility which can help if weather doesn’t cooperate, you get tired, you hear of or see something you want to explore further.

Planning Alaska is really hard. There are so many wonderful things to see and do, but you cannot do it all. I can’t tell you how many thing we changed over the time we were planning. Some things even changed on the fly during the trip, but we came home with amazing memories and feeling like we’d gotten all our big must dos done.

Our issue with the Seward planning was that our Alaska trip came together only about 6 weeks ago and is happening in about 2 weeks from now... by the time we knew we'd be going, there were no hotel rooms available in Seward. It doesn't help that apparently there is a big 4th of July celebration in Seward, and we'll be there the 3rd of July. Hopefully doing it via train will make the round trip in a day not so bad. I do feel like we are trying to squeeze in too much in too little time, but with the hotels we have already reserved, and most other hotels around Alaska booked up because it's a popular travel time, I'm not sure if we'd be able to make a major adjustment this close to the trip. Bottom line: I wish we had an extra couple days in Alaska! Making "cuts" to the itinerary is such a hard decision!

Looks like K2 out of Talkeetna would be about $300 cheaper than what we have with Fly Denali. Do you have a preference between those companies or can you explain the difference between the 2? I can see K2's flight plans, but Fly Denali doesn't post theirs online.

Also look into the flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi. We flew with them last year. Our glacier landing was at base camp for climbers attempting to summit Denali. That excursion was the highlight of our Alaskan Adventure.

The Welcome Aboard show really just introduces the Cruise Director and his/her staff. Usually one # by the Dance team then a short 15 version of his show by one of the comedians.

I come to Alaska for the scenery and send my time outside. I sail Friday but won't get up to Whittier this year