Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

So looking forward to reading your real time report. Right now considering this trip for 2019. Can anyone tell me ANY advantage or disadvantage of going one way or the other? And, if booking the Deluxe Veranda, did you have trouble booking excursions or restaurants? So many questions. Can't wait to go along with you on this trip!

We are going on this cruise on July 21 and are in a Deluxe Veranda. We had no problem booking our excursion or restaurants. By the time our booking date opened there were very few optional excursions that were sold out. We are traveling in a group of six and were able to all get on the same tours. We were also able to get dinner reservations on the days we wanted.

Thank you for this "live"post. Watching the weather and wondering how accurate the weather reported temps are. Was if if really only the 50's the day you boarded, July 12?

We've been in Bergen on July 30-31 of last year. It wasn't cold but rather chilly with periodic rain. The nights though were perfect with no wind or rain. Made quite a few pictures of the night view of harbor. Amazing!

This year we will be back to Bergen on June 29-30. So far prognosis 63-65 with rain...lol Surprise!!

We've been in Bergen on July 30-31 of last year. It wasn't cold but rather chilly with periodic rain. The nights though were perfect with no wind or rain. Made quite a few pictures of the night view of harbor. Amazing!

This year we will be back to Bergen on June 29-30. So far prognosis 63-65 with rain...lol Surprise!!

Oops, meant to type June 12 for weather yesterday in Bergen. Thanks vnb2. You are boarding The Star on June 30? We are also. Lorna & Ray

So looking forward to reading your real time report. Right now considering this trip for 2019. Can anyone tell me ANY advantage or disadvantage of going one way or the other? And, if booking the Deluxe Veranda, did you have trouble booking excursions or restaurants? So many questions. Can't wait to go along with you on this trip!

We are on same itinerary June 30. The only disadvantage I found in traveling Bergen to London is our time in the spectacular Lofotens is only a half day whereas I believe the other direction has a longer one. Also we are in Tromso the same day as the Sea and The Sea has the dock right in town and The Star is at Brevika a ways outside of town. As far as excursion booking, we went on line at 3 am, got all included times we wanted and all but one optional. The hike in Lofoten sold out in 5 minutes. However, we kept periodically checking and it eventually opened up. Did not get times we wanted for specialty restaurants. Seems everyone wants early times and sea days. We adjusted accordingly.

We are traveling with another couple on rhe June 23 sailing, both of us in V cabins. We were ready at midnight when our excursion window opened. We preferred morning times and every included excursion was sold out in the morning by the time we were able to book. The excursions in Lofoten were ALL sold out so I had to contact Viking to let them know. A few weeks later a few more were added for the afternoon. By checking every day we were able to move a few of the excursions to the morning, however in a couple of cases we couldn’t get the same tour time as our friends. I knew that we would get last choice given that we are in V cabins, but I’ve found the excursion process to be time consuming and frustrating. I know, we got what we were promised, an included excursion in every port. I am not complaining (well maybe a little bit!) just telling my story as it seems to be a different experience than most on this thread. That being said, I will not let the booking process put a damper on my anticipation of a wonderful cruise experience in an amazingly beautiful location.

@russg140,

Your thread is titled "Live from the Viking Sun". Are you really boarding the Sun in Bergen today? Viking's schedule shows the Sun is in Denmark right now, en route to Stavanger.

Your signature says you're sailing on the Viking Sea, so I suspect you mis-titled the thread.

We're sailing into the Midnight Sun on the Star in two weeks, so will be following this thread with great interest.

Have a wonderful voyage, whichever ship you're on.

THANK YOU! You are 100% correct...we are on the Sea. I got my sun and sea mixed up. My apologies!

And, if booking the Deluxe Veranda, did you have trouble booking excursions or restaurants?

We're doing this run London/Greenwich to Bergen in just a few weeks so I'll answer this part..... We're in a DV and I got on the first morning excursions and rest's opened {reasonable hour … I did not worry about a SouthWest airline thing where 24 hour b4 checkin means you are out of luck in 5 minutes!!} I got everything I wanted in excursions … I don't think I saw anything 'sold out' yet - but I will mention that I was booking mostly 'included excursions' and not much in the way of $ ones, but we got first choice on everything …. And we got our one ressie in Manf' and chef's early in the trip in hopes that once on board I can make more …. I was not particular about wanting anything special and frankly I suspect once DW reviews the menu we may skip chef's

I did go back a few days later to double check something and DID see a bunch of stuff was 'sold out' - mostly certain departure times on the 'included' …. my conclusion is if you want a specific time for an 'included' book early.

Chefs Table offers 7 menus on this cruise. I will get more info and post them for everyone. There is really good availability, so don’t stress too much over reservations.

We will be on the Viking Star "Into the Midnight Sun" embarking in Bergen on June 30.

We are scheduled for the "Lysoen Island & Fantoft Stave Church" optional excursion July 1 from Bergen. Can anyone tell me if we will actually go IN the Fantoft Stave Church? The write-up says "… at the 12th-century Fantoft Stave Church, moved to its picturesque site in 1883 to preserve it for the nation, you can admire its traditional timber construction and elaborate carved decorations. It was all painstakingly rebuilt after a severe fire in 1992."

Another excursion from the Viking Star, "Fantoft Stave Church & Grieg's House & Recital" says "You will join your local guide on a drive through suburban Bergen to Fana, where the Fantoft Stave Church stands tall, proud and elegant. Built entirely of wood in 1150 in the tradition of Norwegian stave churches, it was moved to its present site in 1883 to save it from demolition and preserve it as part of the nation’s heritage. After a destructive 1992 fire, artisans extensively and faithfully restored it to its former beauty. Inside, you can admire the traditional timber construction and elaborately carved decoration."

Seems like both excursions would go INSIDE the church, but the one we are on doesn't specifically say that. I've checked, and the Fantoft Stave Church is open on that day.

Does anyone know, or has someone on the June12-26 cruise been on this excursion? I appreciate any help!

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

We did the Lysoen Island and Fantoft Stave Church tour today. Yes. You do go into the church, which is very small, but interesting. The trip to Lysoen Island was as well, but if you don’t know who Ule Bull is you should find out more about him. The trip takes you by boat to the island to visit his house, which you also go inside of. The tour was 4 1/2 hours.

Thank you for this "live"post. Watching the weather and wondering how accurate the weather reported temps are. Was if if really only the 50's the day you boarded, July 12?

Tayana

It is that chilly, yes, especially when the sun is behind the clouds. Woke up this morning to bright sun but it still only got up to 62. Just left Bergen and it’s chilly and windy on the water (even with the sun). Captain says we may hit some weather tonight. Stay tuned,but definitely think cooler temps.

We are traveling with another couple on rhe June 23 sailing, both of us in V cabins. We were ready at midnight when our excursion window opened. We preferred morning times and every included excursion was sold out in the morning by the time we were able to book. The excursions in Lofoten were ALL sold out so I had to contact Viking to let them know. A few weeks later a few more were added for the afternoon. By checking every day we were able to move a few of the excursions to the morning, however in a couple of cases we couldn’t get the same tour time as our friends. I knew that we would get last choice given that we are in V cabins, but I’ve found the excursion process to be time consuming and frustrating. I know, we got what we were promised, an included excursion in every port. I am not complaining (well maybe a little bit!) just telling my story as it seems to be a different experience than most on this thread. That being said, I will not let the booking process put a damper on my anticipation of a wonderful cruise experience in an amazingly beautiful location.

TF

Looking at the excursions for Lofoten for this trip they are only showing afternoons available. Don’t know if that helps, but just thought you might want to know.

So today (Day 2) was our second day in Bergen. Woke up this morning to bright sun but temps were still cool. The high only got to 62F.

Just a note on dinner last night: We ate in the Restaurant after cocktails in the Explorers Lounge. Very nice music from a string trio (who were very appreciative of our applause - guess no one claps for them usually). Dinner was outstanding. It was hard to pick from the wonderful assortment of appetizers and entrees. Really a GREAT start!

Today we took the optional excursion “Lysoen Island and Fantoft Stave Church”. Just about 4 1/2 hours long with a very nice guide. Back to the ship in time for lunch, again excellent. After took a dip in the main pool. A little chilly so opted for the jacuzzi instead. Then took a leap and jumped into the pool! Very refreshing. Later ship conducted the muster drill and we set sail from Bergen. Captain says we’re heading into some weather so it may get a little rough on the way to Gerainger. Tomorrow we’re taking an independent private van tour in the morning and a RIB boat in the afternoon. Gerainger is a port where the ship tenders.

Thank you so much for sharing. We are on the July 14 from Greenwich to Bergen and it will be our first Viking Ocean cruise. Now I can get a preview through your eyes. We booked so long ago I thought it would never get here!

Oops, meant to type June 12 for weather yesterday in Bergen. Thanks vnb2. You are boarding The Star on June 30? We are also. Lorna & Ray

No, we are boarding Star on 16th. You lucky guys will board her on 30th.

THANK YOU! You are 100% correct...we are on the Sea. I got my sun and sea mixed up. My apologies!

Mark,

Now if you had titled the thread "Into the Midnight Sea", we would really be worried...

Thanks so much for starting this thread, and for the time you'll spend updating it from time to time as you sail past the fjords. There are eight other similar voyages this season (on the Sea, Star and Sky), with lots of other CC members anxious to follow in your wake, so to speak.

Tayana

It is that chilly, yes, especially when the sun is behind the clouds. Woke up this morning to bright sun but it still only got up to 62. Just left Bergen and it’s chilly and windy on the water (even with the sun). Captain says we may hit some weather tonight. Stay tuned,but definitely think cooler temps.

Thank you for report. Was so excited watching The Sea after she left Bergen June 13 on cruisemapper.com. Checked the app at odd times this afternoon and evening so have a good idea of her track through hundreds of islands. Will look for you on the Geiranger webcam June 14. Enjoy.

Reading your reports with huge interest and increasing anticipation, as when you disembark in Greenwich, it will be our turn to do the itinerary in reverse! Thank you for your reports. Enjoy your cruise.

Janet

Apologies russg140, this is slightly off topic and I don't know if this has been mentioned/posted before, I may have missed it, but I was browsing the UK website for Viking Ocean and came across a "live webcam" from the Viking Sun currently in Norway in Eidfjord. Checked the other ships but the Sun seems to be the only one with this feature (but I stand to be corrected of course! ;) - you can find it on the ship information pages, just scroll down from the deck plans). I do know that russg140 is on the Sea but thought this might be interesting as folk were asking about this area.

For those heading that way, it will give you a good idea of what the weather is doing currently and for those of us not, either a beautiful reminder of the stunning scenery or something to entice us for future cruises.

Hey russg140, Hope you are having a great cruise. Saw the Sea in the Gerianger webcam but she was anchored at a distance with the massive Mein Schiff up close to the pier. People were using umbrellas but hope you had a weather break for a nice excursion. I see you still at anchor and it is well past your 6 pm departure time. With the gale brewing offshore wondering if the captain is holding at anchor there to avoid rough weather. Molde is not really that far but closer to more open water. Just curious.

Apologies russg140, this is slightly off topic and I don't know if this has been mentioned/posted before, I may have missed it, but I was browsing the UK website for Viking Ocean and came across a "live webcam" from the Viking Sun currently in Norway in Eidfjord. Checked the other ships but the Sun seems to be the only one with this feature (but I stand to be corrected of course! ;) - you can find it on the ship information pages, just scroll down from the deck plans). I do know that russg140 is on the Sea but thought this might be interesting as folk were asking about this area.

For those heading that way, it will give you a good idea of what the weather is doing currently and for those of us not, either a beautiful reminder of the stunning scenery or something to entice us for future cruises.

How cool! Thanks for the heads up. Eidfjord was my favorite port.

Hey russg140, Hope you are having a great cruise. Saw the Sea in the Gerianger webcam but she was anchored at a distance with the massive Mein Schiff up close to the pier. People were using umbrellas but hope you had a weather break for a nice excursion. I see you still at anchor and it is well past your 6 pm departure time. With the gale brewing offshore wondering if the captain is holding at anchor there to avoid rough weather. Molde is not really that far but closer to more open water. Just curious.

TL

That’s exactly what happened. The Captain held our departure due to high winds. We ended up leaving at a little after 9:15. He took us slowly past the “7 sisters” and “the bachelor “ for great photo ops. Once we got to the end of the Gerainger fjord there were a lot of white caps and high winds. Not a lot of movement on the ship, though.

Yesterday was in Geiranger (pronounced gay-rang-ur with the emphasis on the first syllable). Tui’s Mein Shiff was docked, we tendered. It was another typical Norwegian day: rain and clouds with a bit of wind. The main (only?) part of town where we tendered to was about 20 minutes away. Something to note: if you’re taking an independent tour (i.e. not booked through Viking) they will tell you that you have to wait until the tour groups leave, but if you do (and your tour leaves at 8:30 like ours) you will miss your tour. We explained to the security person our situation and he let us go. Just FYI.

As mentioned we took an independent tour booked through Geirangerfjord Services. It was a semi-private van that took us to the three major viewing spots. When we got to Dalsnabbe it was tremendously windy and rainy, although the views were great. The tour lasted 3 hours. Viking didn’t offer a tour that went to all three spots, which is why we booked this one. We were back on the ship at 12:45 and had a nice lunch, a little time to relax before heading back for our second tour, a RIB boat to see the waterfalls up close booked through the same company. Both tours were awesome.

There is mostly shopping at the waterfront and I really wanted to get a true Norwegian sweater. They carry Dale of Norway, the best brand I’m told, and I found a style I really liked, but they’re not cheap - $300US. So I told my husband it would be a Christmas present for me. LOL! Back on the ship by 4:30 and actually had time to get in some exercise in the (beautifully equipped) gym.

The Captain announced that, due to the high winds, our departure was delayed until 8; we ended up leaving at around 9:15.

Dinner was in Manfredi’s. Up to that point we rated the food excellent, but one of us was very disappointed with their meal. While the service was great, we didn’t say anything and assumed we had ordered wrong. Everyone has an off night. After dinner we went to The Explorers Lounge, which was really hopping. We’ve gotten to know all of the staff there, and they us (we feel like Norm at Cheers!). After some after dinners and lovely music from the guitarist we headed to bed.

Today we’re in Molde. Our hiking tour was canceled (not enough participants - the majority of our fellow passengers are older and less active) so we got off the ship and walked around. Not much to see. Back on board 20 minutes later. Which brings you up to date!

Any questions just ask!

Are you still there in Molde?

We went to a outdoor museum where they had different Norwegian houses and barns of yesteryear including an old chapel and a modern museum on the same site which had historical information and showed many photos of Molde. Molde was a very important place during WW11 as it was where the Norwegian King, being chased by the ****s up though Norway, was safely rescued by the British Navy and the Norwegian resistance. From what we remember a Christmas tree is sent every year to the UK (London we think) in grateful thanks from one nation to another. We also enjoyed a lovely performance in dance and song by local schoolchildren in one of the barbs and they also showed us how they made the traditional bread and butter. This was an included tour with regular shuttles, so you could spend as much or as little time there that you wanted.

How cool! Thanks for the heads up. Eidfjord was my favorite port.

I loved that you could click on the little world map and then up came all different options and you can see the places the Viking Sun had been with the webcam videos. Last night it was interesting watching the change in the weather as she headed out of Eidfjord. I just mention this as it took me a wee while to find this and how it worked and then of course I spent way too much time watching them all!

I hope they do this for all the ships!

russg140 - that Explorers Lounge is a great place to socialise! And with the light nights it is very easy to stay there way beyond your bedtime too! LOL! :D:')

Would you mind please checking if they have San Pellegrino sparkling water on board? We were told when we were on Viking Sky (in March) that they were no longer going to have it - by a senior person. I hope this is not correct as I hate that awful ship's water!

Next week is mid-summer of course, and the Norwegians love to celebrate the summer solstice - well any excuse to drink! - so if you are cruising near to land, you will see lots of folk out on the shore and in their gardens barbecuing and drinking during the night enjoying the midnight sun. And they say Norwegians have no sense of humour! ;p