Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

Before I post about last night and today I thought it might be helpful to mention that I have posted several cruise reviews on CC that you can find if you search by my user ID “russg140”. That’ll give you a better idea of what cruising experience I have and what I look for in a cruise. As a Celebrity “Elite plus” member I’ll be reviewing how I felt about the switch to Viking Ocean. Just FYI.

Last night, as I mentioned, we took part in The Nordic Bathing ritual, which took place from 8:00-9:30 in the Spa after closing. There were 6 in our group, and the evening was led by two of the Spa’s team. (LIV Nordic spas are only on Viking ships, no other line.). I won’t go into a lot of detail but will only say how very much we enjoyed it and highly recommend trying it. And for $39 it’s a great value.

So after we detoxed we retoxed in the Explorers Lounge! LOL! But the steam and cold and foot massage had me in bed by 10. While there were some pretty good swells in the sea they came at the ship from abeam (the side) so there wasn’t a ton of noticeable motion.

This morning we awoke to gloomy weather and slightly milder temperatures. As we had to report to the Star Lounge for immigration we got dressed and made our way down. I kid you not the line went the entire length of the ship and around. So we decided to go have breakfast and come back later. 30 minutes later the line was 1/10th of what it was and we were through in 15 minutes. All you have to do is show your passport, they ask you a question or two, stamp your passport and that’s it. Viking then puts a sticker on your room card that says you’ve completed immigration.

We booked a Viking excursion “Yesnaby and Skara Brae”, a 4 hour hike and visit to a Neolithic site dating back 5000 years. We had a full bus with two guides, one of the onboard lecturers and another Viking representative. The ride to the hike and back took 20-25 minutes each way, during which our guides provided us with lots of information about the island, the people, economy and more. The hike itself took a little over 2 1/2 hours and required good mobility and stamina. The weather wasn’t great, but the views from the cliffs were amazing. We then spent 20 minutes walking around Skara Brae and were back on the bus by 1. Overall it was a fantastic experience and derailed recommended.

Back onboard we grabbed lunch then hung out by the pool. Bagpipes and young Scottish dancers saw us off at sail away and now we’re headed to Newhaven, the port for Edinburgh where we will be tendering. The Captain just announced that due to a pilot schedule change in Greenwich we would need to leave Newhaven an hour early.

One last thing. Before we left the VO board was awash with people panicking over reservations at Manfredi’s/The Chef’s Table. We looked at the menu for The Restaurant tonight and tomorrow and decided we liked the menu at CT better some switched our CT reservation from tomorrow to tonight with no issue. We were given the times of 7:00 and 8:00 - on the same day! That does mean that the earlier dining times were taken, but if you can be a little flexible you’ll have much more choice. Just a tip.

Thanks russg140 for a great thread. We'll be boarding on Tuesday, as you leave. Do you know if the pilot schedule change on the Thames will mean you arrive earlier than previously planned. I'd read that you would arrive around midnight, so plan to stay up late to watch. (We are travelling down to Greenwich tomorrow and staying there for three nights prior to the cruise.)

Thanks russg140 for a great thread. We'll be boarding on Tuesday, as you leave. Do you know if the pilot schedule change on the Thames will mean you arrive earlier than previously planned. I'd read that you would arrive around midnight, so plan to stay up late to watch. (We are travelling down to Greenwich tomorrow and staying there for three nights prior to the cruise.)

Jammy

Yes. We are supposed to arrive 1 hour earlier than originally scheduled.

Russ

This post has been very helpful! We also will be traveling to Bergen and are planning on coming in one day early. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a hotel in Bergen?

We were in Bergen at the end of our Trade Routes cruise on the Sky and stayed for an extra few days at the gorgeous Hotel Opus XVI. It's right in the middle of everything so very convenient, but it's a quiet hotel. I wrote a review for Trip Advisor on it so take a look!

This post has been very helpful! We also will be traveling to Bergen and are planning on coming in one day early. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a hotel in Bergen?

Now, I haven't been there so I can't tell you for sure, but we are also arriving early in Bergen and staying at the Thon Hotel Rosencranz. It has high ratings and seems very convenient location-wise.

Now, I haven't been there so I can't tell you for sure, but we are also arriving early in Bergen and staying at the Thon Hotel Rosencranz. It has high ratings and seems very convenient location-wise.

We just left the Thon Hotel Rosencrantz and enjoyed our overnight very much. Small but comfortable room, quiet and very convenient location. Our room rate included a light supper and a fabulous breakfast buffet. All at what I thought a very reasonable rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Russ. I was looking more for a percentage perhaps only so I could have an idea of how much cash I should get from the ATM upon arrival in Norway. We do tip more than the customary when we get great service. Important to support the locals who add so much to our experiences.

Nola

Nola

Well, today changed my answer. Here’s why:

We took the Viking shore excursion “Royal Yacht Britannia and Ultimate Edinburgh” and our guide was FABULOUS. After 6 hours only a handful of people gave her a gratuity.

So my answer is that they will appreciate anything you give them. Percentage? 10%? So for two people on a tour that cost $300, $30if the guide was really good/excellent. Less if average. None if you felt that the guide didn’t really add to the experience.

But after a 6 hour tour where she basically talked the whole time about the history and culture, with fun facts and dates to NOT give her a tip - to me - is unacceptable. Just my opinion.

Russ

KS

We did the same and stayed at the Oleana, which was centrally located. The rooms were small but functional.

Russ

Kathy

The Thon is the closest hotel to the pier and about a 10 minute walk to the center of town.

Just FYI.

Russ

Thanks, Russ. I was looking more for a percentage perhaps only so I could have an idea of how much cash I should get from the ATM upon arrival in Norway. We do tip more than the customary when we get great service. Important to support the locals who add so much to our experiences.

Nola

Nola, As a starting point, the Viking cruise documents recommend tipping for shore excursions in the local equivalent of 2 euros per person per day for guides and 1 euro per person per day for drivers. I would round that up to 2 British pounds per day per person for guides and 1 pound per person for drivers. In Norwegian money, probably 20 Kr per day per person for guides and 10 Kr per person for drivers. You can, of course, vary from those amounts as you see fit. Hope this helps.

Nola

Well, today changed my answer. Here’s why:

We took the Viking shore excursion “Royal Yacht Britannia and Ultimate Edinburgh” and our guide was FABULOUS. After 6 hours only a handful of people gave her a gratuity.

So my answer is that they will appreciate anything you give them. Percentage? 10%? So for two people on a tour that cost $300, $30if the guide was really good/excellent. Less if average. None if you felt that the guide didn’t really add to the experience.

But after a 6 hour tour where she basically talked the whole time about the history and culture, with fun facts and dates to NOT give her a tip - to me - is unacceptable. Just my opinion.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks and I agree with you completely! Your info has been so helpful. I know it will add to our experience starting next week! Enjoy your time in London too.

Nola

Nola, As a starting point, the Viking cruise documents recommend tipping for shore excursions in the local equivalent of 2 euros per person per day for guides and 1 euro per person per day for drivers. I would round that up to 2 British pounds per day per person for guides and 1 pound per person for drivers. In Norwegian money, probably 20 Kr per day per person for guides and 10 Kr per person for drivers. You can, of course, vary from those amounts as you see fit. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I have not gone over the cruise docs for some time so I had better review soon! Very helpful.

Nola

Wow! Only 3 days left!

So this morning was up at 8, breakfast and off to our tour, “Royal Yacht Britannia and Ultimate Edinburgh”.

Last night we had our second dinner in The Chef’s Table. The theme of the night was Les Routes des Indes; 5 courses with the focus being on spices used in Indian cuisine (not spicy) think coriander, cinnamon, etc. it was really excellent. Who would have thought a lemongrass and tarragon granita could be so delicious?! One more dinner in CT on Sunday night: “Venice Carnival”.

Any way up to EL for a quick nightcap.

Back to today. So since we had to leave Edinburgh early our time was cut from an 8 hour tour to a 6 hour tour. Viking didn’t offer to compensate us for the shorter time, but I’m sure some were. Our tour was excellent and our guide was one of the best we’ve had. I highly recommend this tour. I forgot to mention that it included lunch at a local hotel that was really quite good. The tour at Britannia is an audio tour and takes about 1 1/2 hours. After lunch we went up to the castle and spent the same amount of time there, maybe a little less if you include the walking.

On the tender back to the ship another guest, who was not on our tour, asked if we felt rushed to which we replied “no”. I don’t think that’s the answer she was looking for.

So now we’re back onboard and heading for Greenwich (London). Seas seem calm and the sun is shining bright. Day at sea tomorrow. I will say that today in Edinburgh it was a bit warm, so we’re hoping to enjoy breakfast on our veranda tomorrow morning, and we hear that London is entering a heat wave. BIG change from last week!

Kathy

The Thon is the closest hotel to the pier and about a 10 minute walk to the center of town.

Just FYI.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for that. That works great for us since it'll mean less of a walk to get our luggage to the boat hopefully! A 10 minute walk to town is fine, we can work up an appetite for dinner.

Cheers,

Kathy

If you have time before disembarkation preparations, would love to hear your feedback on the “London and the London Eye” shore excursion. We signed up for that on our July 7th cruise out of London (the reverse of your trip) and it has been sold out for some time. Thanks (and thanks for all your posts on this trip!).

Kathy

Just FYI.

Russ

Nope, the Thon Hotel Orion is the closest to the pier where Viking docks and it is right off the Bryggen. We are staying there 6-29. Can let you know what it's like in a week or so. Follow the June 30 Star sailing. I cannot commit to a "live" like Russ so generously did but will post there.

I will be on Viking Orion 7 July and I’m interested in tips for the ship. I’ve been told the ocean ships are identical. Looking forward to your updates about dining, shows and the layout of the ship. This will be my third cruise, first on Viking.

Russ,

Thanks for that. That works great for us since it'll mean less of a walk to get our luggage to the boat hopefully! A 10 minute walk to town is fine, we can work up an appetite for dinner.

Cheers,

Kathy

Kathy,

Google Maps shows a 12 minute walk from the Thon Rosenkrantz to the Viking pier and a 7 minute walk from the Thon Orion to the dock. Both look to be about 5 minutes to Bryggen, Hanseatic Museum, the funicular. The Radisson Blu is also centrally located there. Viking uses the Blu for their pre and post cruise excursions.

Russ, re the Royal Brittania and Ultimate Edinburgh excursion, the description says there is free time. Can you tell me when was the free time and where did they drop you off. Or perhaps with the excursion time cut you did not have the free time. We are trying to plan what else we can do and see during that excursion.

Thanks. Know I saw this but could not remember where.

Kathy,

Google Maps shows a 12 minute walk from the Thon Rosenkrantz to the Viking pier and a 7 minute walk from the Thon Orion to the dock. Both look to be about 5 minutes to Bryggen, Hanseatic Museum, the funicular. The Radisson Blu is also centrally located there. Viking uses the Blu for their pre and post cruise excursions.

Thanks Russ,