Weather and Packing

emjayel56

HI Everyone,

I was just surprised this past weekend with an early birthday present and found out I am going on an Alaskan Cruise next week! We are on Holland America roundtrip Seattle and leave next Saturday (6/23). I've been looking at the temperature and it seems to be mild this week. Do you think we need to pack heavy coats or can get by with lighter jackets and sweaters/layers? Appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

MaryJo

A little reading here would reveal Alaska weather is tremendously variable...changes almost hour by hour. You still need to plan on layers, with the outer layer being wind and water proof.

thank you

My experience when I worked in Prince William Sound is that it changes during the day. As CruiserBruce said, wear layers and be prepared with rain gear, especially when in port. Temperatures can change dramatically if/when close to a glacier. If you get a nice, sunny day - enjoy it. Coastal Alaska is a temperate rainforest. So gray, rainy, windy days are very common. But, I always felt that the scenery was more beautiful in the wet weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HI Everyone,

I was just surprised this past weekend with an early birthday present and found out I am going on an Alaskan Cruise next week! We are on Holland America roundtrip Seattle and leave next Saturday (6/23). I've been looking at the temperature and it seems to be mild this week. Do you think we need to pack heavy coats or can get by with lighter jackets and sweaters/layers? Appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

MaryJo

You never need heavy coats. Layers are what works since there can be temp changes.