Carnival Magic late arrival. Cancelling St Thomas. Very upset

LuckyZ

Reasoning that way, any ship that offers room and food offers a nice cruise, even if they don't visit a port at all.

Obviously, by looking at how cruises are advertised, people are not buying a cruise to have a place to sleep and free food.

I can't feel very sorry for Carnival that they need to provide for more food, that is just one of the bad things that would happen after not being able to provide the service your guests expected and paid for. That's what you should get insurance for. Or, if you're as big as Carnival, you could insure yourselve. You can easily pay a decent amount when one cruise out of thousands went wrong. $50 is not a decent amount.

What would you consider a decent amount?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That doesn’t make sense. Is that what your S&S card says? If you’re confirmed late then that’s what you should have.

Paperwork (printed yesterday with boarding pass) says “late dining confirmed, early dining waitlisted”. S&S has Your Time. Asked at guest services and all he could do was send an email to the matire’d.

Also our luggage still isn’t here even though the next door neighbors all have theirs and we had FTTF; getting a little concerned. Still docked at 7:22PM in Port Canveral so I guess they’re still loading luggage...

I wonder how many threads are started based on canceled ports from either acts of god or mechanical breakdowns? Geeze, get over it. I think it happens to all of us. Love San Juan, best port to embark, New Orleans close 2nd! LOL

Reasoning that way, any ship that offers room and food offers a nice cruise, even if they don't visit a port at all.

Obviously, by looking at how cruises are advertised, people are not buying a cruise to have a place to sleep and free food.

I can't feel very sorry for Carnival that they need to provide for more food, that is just one of the bad things that would happen after not being able to provide the service your guests expected and paid for. That's what you should get insurance for. Or, if you're as big as Carnival, you could insure yourselve. You can easily pay a decent amount when one cruise out of thousands went wrong. $50 is not a decent amount.

Carnival did not have to offer anything and many times they do not.

We had Costa Rica cancelled on our Panama Canal Cruise this past December due to weather. I really wanted to vistit Costa Rica and have no idea if I will get another opportunity to visit. However I did not get all pi$$y about it. I am an adult and understood that it would be impossible with the high winds for the ship to safely dock. I didn't even think about Carnival giving me money for missing the port and guess what; they didn't. I wasn't mad about it then and I'm not now.

Why does there have to be compensation for every darn thing that doesn't work out exactly like some seem to think should. It's called "life"! Geez!

What would you consider a decent amount?

Not sure how many ports OP paid for, not sure what cabin. But in order to give some answer, let's say OP paid $3000 to visit 4 ports. That's $750. If St Thomas was the only reason to book this cruise, maybe like $2000. At least FAR more than $50.

OP paid for and expected those ports. Whatever extra costs to the line, whatever unfortunate mechanical problems, those simply shouldn't be the guest's problem. Carnival is big enough to pay for the unexpected.

Not sure how many ports OP paid for, not sure what cabin. But in order to give some answer, let's say OP paid $3000 to visit 4 ports. That's $750. If St Thomas was the only reason to book this cruise, maybe like $2000. At least FAR more than $50.

OP paid for and expected those ports. Whatever extra costs to the line, whatever unfortunate mechanical problems, those simply shouldn't be the guest's problem. Carnival is big enough to pay for the unexpected.

Wait, are you trying to say that cruise fare is 'admission' to the various ports? You aren't paying for your food, lodging, entertainment, etc?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I am sure if that logic worked, everybody would say that St Thomas was their favorite port. Listen, I get it, they wanted something that they will not get, but it happens. Let’s see what happens and then assess. We have been on cruises where stuff has happened, the ugly American tourist berating the poor guest services staff about how their vacation was ruined is by far not one of the prettier aspects on cruising. The cruise line contract ensures they hold all the cards. Best advice is relax, take a breath, and enjoy the cruise, it just might work out and that day at sea be the highlight.

Carnival did not have to offer anything and many times they do not.

We had Costa Rica cancelled on our Panama Canal Cruise this past December due to weather. I really wanted to vistit Costa Rica and have no idea if I will get another opportunity to visit. However I did not get all pi$$y about it. I am an adult and understood that it would be impossible with the high winds for the ship to safely dock. I didn't even think about Carnival giving me money for missing the port and guess what; they didn't. I wasn't mad about it then and I'm not now.

Why does there have to be compensation for every darn thing that doesn't work out exactly like some seem to think should. It's called "life"! Geez!

If my bakers' oven doesn't work I'm not paying for his bread. Not sure why this cruiselines are any different. It's understandable when weather doesn't permit visiting a port, bad luck that that anyone would understand. I don't see why a mechanical failure should be bad luck for the passenger.

It's a good thing you're not running Carnival. They would be out of business. That is totally absurd! If that was the case, then any port missed would suddenly become everyone's favorite.

You obviously have never run a business of your own.

Unbelievable . Instead of cancelling throw away ports like San Juan or Grand Turk, they cancel St Thomas, which is the only reason we picked this cruise. Here is the email

URGENT UPDATE. CARNIVAL MAGIC

JUNE 16, 2018

Dear Carnival Magic Guests,

I am back with an important update on our arrival time in Port Canaveral.

Although we did our best to make up for lost time, yesterday evening, we encountered an issue impacting our maximum cruising speed. Consequently, we will now be alongside in the early afternoon.

While our team completes the necessary work, we will be unable to sustain the required speed to deliver a four port itinerary. Consequently, we will need to cancel our call in St. Thomas. We know how much you were looking forward to your visit to this port of call and sincerely apologize for this unexpected change.

A 50 USD, per person, onboard credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account. Additionally, any pre-purchased shore excursions for St. Thomas, and corresponding government fees and taxes, will be refunded to your onboard account. A letter with full itinerary details will be provided at check-in.

Please disregard your Arrival Appointment and plan to arrive at the cruise terminal between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM. In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 6:00 PM.

A 15 USD, per person, credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account so you can enjoy lunch on us today.

Once again, we apologize for this disruption and assure you our team will do everything possible to deliver an exceptional vacation experience.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board for a fun and memorable cruise.

Sincerely,

Denese WaitersForums

I received the same an am incredibly annoyed. St. Thomas was the highlight port for us, as well.

$75 doesn't make up for missing the best port of the cruise.

I assume they picked that one since it's the furthest from Florida so this way they can get back the extra fuel they used diverting to Cozumel on the last cruise. That shouldn't be taken out on us. They wouldn't want to skip Amber Cove since that's their port and they'd lose too much profit, I guess.

The terminal is going to be a zoo when everyone arrives at once at 3pm. Going to call them know to find out if the FTTF that we purchased is also a waste.

Is the onboard credit for the diversion refundable? I foolishly did prepaid gratuities because I had a Carnival gift card to spend and figured it would be easier to do that than to try to apply it on board. With everyone getting $75 it means it will be next to impossible to get a specialty dining reservation. Only other options are to drink it or buy from the overpriced shops. If I hadn't done prepaid grats, at least I could have used the credit to pay the tips (obviously I will still fully pay those, it's not the staff's fault).

This will probably be my last cruise on Carnival if they don't find a way to make this a great cruise despite the missed port.

While I understand that you are upset, there are plenty of people looking forward to going to San Juan and Grand Turk also. The most importing thing is to get back to Port Canaveral on time. If the ship cannot make the speed necessary to do so, cancelling the last port is what they are going to do. They cannot just show up in St. Thomas one day early and say, "Surprise! Here we are." What do you think would happen if you tried that at a land based hotel?

There might not be room to dock. They would not have any shore excursions set up for the day. It would mean messing up two schedules, the one at St. Thomas and the one for the port they should be at. The ship is not operated like a hop on hop off bus.

What happened is unfortunate, but it wasn't done just to annoy you.

Let's see...

Hotel with an ocean view: $225 per night x 7 = $1,575

Unlimited food: $100/day x 7 = $700

Entertainment: $75/day x 7 = $525

Grand total - $2,800

So with $200 remaining in a $3,000 cruise fair, each port would be worth $50. So it looks like OP should give some of that OBC back. ;)

If my bakers' oven doesn't work I'm not paying for his bread. Not sure why this cruiselines are any different. It's understandable when weather doesn't permit visiting a port, bad luck that that anyone would understand. I don't see why a mechanical failure should be bad luck for the passenger.
When you buy bread from your baker you are buying bread.

When you buy a cruise from a cruise line you are buying a cruise - a floating hotel and dining room.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Their cruise contract (the same one you abide by when you book) says they will give you a cruise, if they fulfill that all is good, please notice I did not port.

When you buy bread from your baker you are buying bread.

When you buy a cruise from a cruise line you are buying a cruise - a floating hotel and dining room.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

When you buy bread, you can take it home. When you by a floating hotel you don't get to take it home. It is not the same. You own the bread. You don't own the floating hotel. You've rented it.

Completely ridiculous. You are only off the ship 6-8 hours during port.

If the OP was only paying for the ports, an airplane rather than a cruise ship would have been a better choice.

When you buy bread, you can take it home. When you by a floating hotel you don't get to take it home. It is not the same. You own the bread. You don't own the floating hotel. You've rented it.
*I* didn't bring up baker.

Actually the best one I have personally experienced was on the Pride on embarkation day at Port Canaveral. One is our group (a rookie who was pretty nervous about getting seasick came up to us on the ship and said, do you have Bonine? I ask why and she replies the motion is getting to her. I tell her to close her eyes and turn 1/2 way around and open her eyes which she does. I ask what do you see, she replies the cruise terminal....we had not left yet.

Lol! Too funny!

Years ago, we boarded the Paradise in Miami. The ship pulled away from the dock and headed out the channel. As soon as we got past the channel markers, the ship turned around and headed back to the dock. A couple of hours later, the Captain told us that there was an issue with one of the Azipods and our cruise was cancelled. Were we highly upset? No..things happen. You just go with the flow. Sure..we waited 2 years for this cruise then this happened. We stayed on the ship for 2 days waiting for Carnival to get us on a flight home. Meanwhile, we had food to eat and a place to sleep. Plus we were reimbursed quite nicely.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

So you waited 2 years for this cruise and weren't the least bit upset? Hard to believe. Even the most patient and understanding person would have felt some disappointment.

So you waited 2 years for this cruise and weren't the least bit upset? Hard to believe. Even the most patient and understanding person would have felt some disappointment.

Disappointment and upset are two different things.......

Hi

While you may not understand why it should be your bad fortune if something adverse happens, you do agree to it "generally" when you purchase your cruise ticket. This is not exclusive to Carnival.

There are insurance policies that cover missing ports if it is important to you. There were also many people that were inconvenienced on the returning cruise. They wouldn't have received compensation and could have lost money out of pocket due to the delay unless they had insurance. Either way, the only real criticism seems to be that the amount refunded wasn't enough. I would guess that there will always be some who feel this way.

I would suggest that those who feel that completing a selected itinerary schedule is mandatory to feel "whole" in their vacation selection, should consider different vacation options. Cruise lines cannot guarantee these things. I don't believe they ever have.

I'm sorry for your disappointment but I need to take issue with your comment about San Juan being a throwaway port. It is the single most interesting port in the Caribbean for us, one we are happy to return to time after time. By comparison, we have never actually found anything worth doing on St. Thomas. Every time we've arrived there we quickly found our way to a ferry to a nearby island where we enjoyed our day.

Of course, it just goes to show that within the passengers there will be people who have different preferences from us and so who will be pleased by things we are displeased about and will be displeased about things with which we are pleased.

I hope the rest of your cruise is enjoyable despite the circumstances. These things happen regularly with all the cruise lines and so we have come to take such circumstances in stride, appreciative of whatever consideration the cruise line gives but fully recognizing that they all can and all respond to situations like this all the time.

My thoughts exactly. We love San Juan and prefer that over St. Thomas anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk