Carnival Magic late arrival. Cancelling St Thomas. Very upset

LuckyZ

Unbelievable . Instead of cancelling throw away ports like San Juan or Grand Turk, they cancel St Thomas, which is the only reason we picked this cruise. Here is the email

URGENT UPDATE. CARNIVAL MAGIC

JUNE 16, 2018

Dear Carnival Magic Guests,

I am back with an important update on our arrival time in Port Canaveral.

Although we did our best to make up for lost time, yesterday evening, we encountered an issue impacting our maximum cruising speed. Consequently, we will now be alongside in the early afternoon.

While our team completes the necessary work, we will be unable to sustain the required speed to deliver a four port itinerary. Consequently, we will need to cancel our call in St. Thomas. We know how much you were looking forward to your visit to this port of call and sincerely apologize for this unexpected change.

A 50 USD, per person, onboard credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account. Additionally, any pre-purchased shore excursions for St. Thomas, and corresponding government fees and taxes, will be refunded to your onboard account. A letter with full itinerary details will be provided at check-in.

Please disregard your Arrival Appointment and plan to arrive at the cruise terminal between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM. In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 6:00 PM.

A 15 USD, per person, credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account so you can enjoy lunch on us today.

Once again, we apologize for this disruption and assure you our team will do everything possible to deliver an exceptional vacation experience.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board for a fun and memorable cruise.

Sincerely,

Denese WaitersForums

I received the same an am incredibly annoyed. St. Thomas was the highlight port for us, as well.

$75 doesn't make up for missing the best port of the cruise.

I assume they picked that one since it's the furthest from Florida so this way they can get back the extra fuel they used diverting to Cozumel on the last cruise. That shouldn't be taken out on us. They wouldn't want to skip Amber Cove since that's their port and they'd lose too much profit, I guess.

The terminal is going to be a zoo when everyone arrives at once at 3pm. Going to call them know to find out if the FTTF that we purchased is also a waste.

Is the onboard credit for the diversion refundable? I foolishly did prepaid gratuities because I had a Carnival gift card to spend and figured it would be easier to do that than to try to apply it on board. With everyone getting $75 it means it will be next to impossible to get a specialty dining reservation. Only other options are to drink it or buy from the overpriced shops. If I hadn't done prepaid grats, at least I could have used the credit to pay the tips (obviously I will still fully pay those, it's not the staff's fault).

This will probably be my last cruise on Carnival if they don't find a way to make this a great cruise despite the missed port.

I'm sorry for your disappointment but I need to take issue with your comment about San Juan being a throwaway port. It is the single most interesting port in the Caribbean for us, one we are happy to return to time after time. By comparison, we have never actually found anything worth doing on St. Thomas. Every time we've arrived there we quickly found our way to a ferry to a nearby island where we enjoyed our day.

Of course, it just goes to show that within the passengers there will be people who have different preferences from us and so who will be pleased by things we are displeased about and will be displeased about things with which we are pleased.

I hope the rest of your cruise is enjoyable despite the circumstances. These things happen regularly with all the cruise lines and so we have come to take such circumstances in stride, appreciative of whatever consideration the cruise line gives but fully recognizing that they all can and all respond to situations like this all the time.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Not much sympathy here. Conventional wisdom has always been 'don't book a cruise for a particular port'. Ship happens. St. thomas is the ports furthest out so the most obvious to scrap. Relax. You will be on a cruise. EM

Well, that's lousy but I'm not sure I would consider San Juan a "throw-away" port but everyone has their preferences. They probably made their decision based on time/speed factors. Regardless, I hope you can still enjoy the cruise. I'll be on the Magic in November...so looking forward to it!

Not much sympathy here. Conventional wisdom has always been 'don't book a cruise for a particular port'. Ship happens. St. thomas is the ports furthest out so the most obvious to scrap. Relax. You will be on a cruise. EM

We didn't book just for a particular port, but if I had wanted three sea days there are other itineraries that we could have picked and enjoyed more. I hope they'll at least be extending the port calls at some of the other ports now. If we arrive late at Amber Cove and the departure is still the same as the original time, then they wouldn't need to cancel a later port unless the issue with the ship's engines is preventing it from going the normal speed.

As always, if a certain port is the make or break reason for one's vacation, don't cruise to that port. Take a land vacation to it.

What was the reason for diversion to Cozumel on the previous cruise? "Ship" happens and it is part of cruising.

As always, if a certain port is the make or break reason for one's vacation, don't cruise to that port. Take a land vacation to it.

What was the reason for diversion to Cozumel on the previous cruise? "Ship" happens and it is part of cruising.

Medical. I don't have a problem with that. The issue is that they also had engine problems that prevented them from going faster to make up the time. That's a maintenance issue that is Carnival's responsibility.

MarineTraffic shows Magic is right outside the port now at 9:30AM but they're saying arrival in the afternoon which means something else is up (or they're just saying that so people don't come to the terminal).

I do understand your frustration and am sorry this happened. Missing a “bucket list” port is very disappointing. I get that St. Thomas isn’t a common port with Carnival, but others might feel the same way you do regarding San Juan or Grand Turk.

Anyway, it looks like something unavoidable (reports are popping up on CC) and they are trying to make it right.

I can’t tel where you are on your cruise but I hope you have/had a good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can’t tel where you are on your cruise but I hope you have/had a good time!

Sitting in Orlando airport for the next six hours (was able to move my shuttle time back) since they don't want us at the terminal until 3PM (was originally 11AM) and I assume it'll be more comfortable to sit here (comfy chairs with outlets) than wait at the cruise terminal.

I'm sure the cruise will still be fun, it's just going to be a frustrating experience with check-in, etc

I'm not sure that $150 "makes it right", but I guess they technically don't have to give anything so there's that.

I wonder how dinner tonight will work with sail away being 6 PM...

I understand your disappointment. Unfortunately booking a cruise based on a certain port isn’t a wise idea as things do happen. We got switched from an Eastern itinerary to Western last October and didn’t get a dime in compensation and usually the Westerns are cheaper than Eastern. I personally don’t like St Thomas so I wouldn’t care, but I know everyone is different. Stuff happens and just make the best of it. Don’t let it put a damper on things. If going somewhere is truly that important, it’s best to make it a land based vacation. Cruising has too many variables.

I feel bad for the person with the medical emergency. And all the people who will miss their flights due to the delayed return to port. The people with out insurance will have to pay additional $ to fly home due to missed flight. So you have to wait a couple of hours to get on the ship. At least you are not sleeping in an airport trying to get home. Missing a port happens.

When you’ve been to Grand Turk and San Juan many times, there is nothing else to see or experience .

Other questions involve

1) pre paid Cheers package and basically getting screwed on the 1st day (will they comp us 1 day)

2) it sailing is after 6pm, what do they do about dinner given 1st seating is 5:30

3) they give OBC but does that mean you have to spend it on the ship or can you get a credit after the cruise (as we’ve pretty much pre paid everything else)

Edited by LuckyZ

When you’ve been to Grand Turk and San Juan many times, there is nothing else to see or experience .

Other questions involve

1) pre paid Cheers package and basically getting screwed on the 1st day (will they comp us 1 day)

2) they give OBC but does that mean you have to spend it on the ship or can you get a credit after the cruise (as we’ve pretty much pre paid everything else)

Put it into a slot and cash out.

I know you’re disappointed having to miss a port you were wanting to visit, but I would hardly call San Juan a throwaway port. I love St. Thomas, but San Juan has so much more to offer. Either way,I do hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Our last time there we went horseback riding. The time before that we spent the whole time touring Old San Juan, El Morro, etc.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Just called in to Customer Service.

1) FTTF is still in effect, there will be a separate line at the cruise terminal. (Although I'm still probably going to ask for a refund of that on board if the stateroom isn't ready, etc. Considering the extra cost of FTTF is to get on the ship as early as possible and having the stateroom ready at boarding time, I think a refund is reasonable if the ship is 4+ hours late.)

2) The customer service reps had no answer for how dinner will work tonight; said we'll find out once we're on board.

I received the same an am incredibly annoyed. St. Thomas was the highlight port for us, as well.

$75 doesn't make up for missing the best port of the cruise.

I assume they picked that one since it's the furthest from Florida so this way they can get back the extra fuel they used diverting to Cozumel on the last cruise. That shouldn't be taken out on us. They wouldn't want to skip Amber Cove since that's their port and they'd lose too much profit, I guess.

The terminal is going to be a zoo when everyone arrives at once at 3pm. Going to call them know to find out if the FTTF that we purchased is also a waste.

Is the onboard credit for the diversion refundable? I foolishly did prepaid gratuities because I had a Carnival gift card to spend and figured it would be easier to do that than to try to apply it on board. With everyone getting $75 it means it will be next to impossible to get a specialty dining reservation. Only other options are to drink it or buy from the overpriced shops. If I hadn't done prepaid grats, at least I could have used the credit to pay the tips (obviously I will still fully pay those, it's not the staff's fault).

This will probably be my last cruise on Carnival if they don't find a way to make this a great cruise despite the missed port.

I certainly understand the frustration of missing the port you are most excited for. I'd be bummed as well. What do you want Carnival to do about it? They gave you a $75 credit, which is more than they have to do, to be honest. I'm sure if you went to guest services, they could refund your prepaid gratuity, and have this apply towards it.

"2) it sailing is after 6pm, what do they do about dinner given 1st seating is 5:30"

nothing, be back to the ship on time or eat in the buffet.

"I wanted to do snorkeling on Culebra but it seems like this would too far with the time constraints."

I'm a sailor and have made this sail it's over 50 miles and about 8 hours by sail. Even a power boat would be 3 hours each way, unless you go by chopper.

"2) it sailing is after 6pm, what do they do about dinner given 1st seating is 5:30"

nothing, be back to the ship on time or eat in the buffet.

This isn't a shore excursion; the ship is being delayed at initial departure. The ship is now sailing around 6PM which means a 5:30PM dining seating will conflict with the muster drill, most likely. There isn't room in the buffet for half the ship to go at once.

First seating Traditional Dining should be 6:00pm.

The most recent e-mail says everyone must be on board by 6PM. So the muster drill can't happen until 6; they can't have dining happening at the same time.

The most recent e-mail says everyone must be on board by 6PM. So the muster drill can't happen until 6; they can't have dining happening at the same time.

True and I’m sure they will modify it. What I was saying is first seating for Traditional Dining is typically at 6:00pm. I haven’t seen 5:30pm or maybe even 5:45pm since my first few cruises.

I'm sorry for your disappointment but I need to take issue with your comment about San Juan being a throwaway port. It is the single most interesting port in the Caribbean for us, one we are happy to return to time after time. By comparison, we have never actually found anything worth doing on St. Thomas. Every time we've arrived there we quickly found our way to a ferry to a nearby island where we enjoyed our day.

Of course, it just goes to show that within the passengers there will be people who have different preferences from us and so who will be pleased by things we are displeased about and will be displeased about things with which we are pleased.

I hope the rest of your cruise is enjoyable despite the circumstances. These things happen regularly with all the cruise lines and so we have come to take such circumstances in stride, appreciative of whatever consideration the cruise line gives but fully recognizing that they all can and all respond to situations like this all the time.

Ditto. And say hello to our son who continues to work there for FEMA on behalf of our fellow Americans. San Juan is fantastic.