Crown Questions

ddgg

We spent 21 days on the Crown last summer. We will be on her again for 14 days on a Transatlantic in 11/3/18. You will enjoy the Crown. They have taken part of the Wheelhouse Bar and made the Gastro Pub. It is a fancy burger place. It is only open at night. We did not try it but many people like it. I think the cost is $12 per person.

I know this is an old post, but curious why you no longer like the aft view cabins?:confused:

Doug

I didn't like the fact that there was very little breeze. Also, I like to look forward and not just at the wake. Actually, an aft-wrap cabin would be perfect, but I travel alone and they are just too expensive when you're paying the 200% fare.

I didn't like the fact that there was very little breeze. Also, I like to look forward and not just at the wake. Actually, an aft-wrap cabin would be perfect, but I travel alone and they are just too expensive when you're paying the 200% fare.

Ah, this all makes sense. My wife and I have had aft view cabins on our last 2-3 cruises, and enjoyed them. We did not notice the lack of breeze, however. But the aft view cabins are different from a forward/side view cabin. There are benefits to each, depending on one's wishes and saving account. On the Crown cruise we have booked in March 2019, we choose a lowest category mini-suite with side view over an aft view. Cost was within a few dollars of the aft view, and we did not think the aft cabins had balconies (cabin itself was fine) were as nice as on other ships we've sailed lately (Carnival Dream, HAL Eurodam, Celebrity Silhouette). So we'll be able to compare the view and breeze aspects then. But before then we have two aft view cabin cruises!;)

Cruising is expensive for singles. Our good friend only did it once before he thought of better ways to spend his money. But then, some people are avid cruisers, but some could care less!:cool:

I've done aft facing balconies, side facing balconies, front facing balconies and almost an inside facing balcony (got upgraded to a side facing ocean view balcony on the Allure).

Advantage of a rear facing balcony - great view and quiet (the only people that come that far down the hall are your neighbors. There is an extra advantage, if you have a corner wrap around balcony, of the 270 degree view. The disadvantages are disadvantages that the people above you can look down on you (lack of privacy), the long walk (which can also be an advantage), and soot.

Side facing advantages are that you can watch the world go by and convenience (you can get the cabin near the elevators or near something you plan to go to a lot. The main disadvantage is noise (everyone will be walking past your cabin) and they are not very unique.

Front facing balconies offer the same view as the captain has (but without the steering wheel and brake pedal). The views are fantastic. The cabins are very rare (most forward facing cabins are ocean view). It can get windy near the forward rail, but back under the overhang it is not windy. The disadvantages are that it is windy near the rail and you can't do anything wrong, as there are always at least two crew members looking down on you.

Forward facing balcony cabins (mine is the bottom row, 3rd from the port side) ...

i-qGTp7zJ-L.jpg

I invited this family from Canada to share my view ...

i-PTnDSXn-L.jpg

Looking back and up at the crew (no, that is not the captain) ...

i-KXfqK3X-L.jpg

The view ...

i-ncz56VQ-XL.jpg

The set up ...

i-PmqmX2D-XL.jpg

The rear facing cabins ...

i-BGX6WK5-XL.jpg

Advantage of a rear facing balcony - great view and quiet (the only people that come that far down the hall are your neighbors. There is an extra advantage, if you have a corner wrap around balcony, of the 270 degree view. The disadvantages are disadvantages that the people above you can look down on you (lack of privacy), the long walk (which can also be an advantage), and soot.

Side facing advantages are that you can watch the world go by and convenience (you can get the cabin near the elevators or near something you plan to go to a lot. The main disadvantage is noise (everyone will be walking past your cabin) and they are not very unique.

Front facing balconies offer the same view as the captain has (but without the steering wheel and brake pedal). The views are fantastic. The cabins are very rare (most forward facing cabins are ocean view). It can get windy near the forward rail, but back under the overhang it is not windy. The disadvantages are that it is windy near the rail and you can't do anything wrong, as there are always at least two crew members looking down on you...........

We have not had a forward facing balcony, but agree 99% with what you said above. A very good synopsis of the typical aft view/side view balcony types.

I'd only suggest that the soot issue seems to be pretty rare, at least in our experience. Another nice thing about most aft view cabins is the balcony itself if often quite a bit "deeper" than the typical side view; but not always.

Those getting ready to book a cabin on any ship need to do their research. Like real estate, it's always "location, location, location". <g>

Sometimes new cruisers assume all ships are the same, but they can be very different, at least among the difference cruise lines and their ship classes. We generally favor the older, smaller ships that are more "subdued" that the huge mega-ships with their waterfalls, go-cart racing, surf generators, etc. But we're old fogies; what can I say?;)