bringing wine and corkscrew.. ???

stellarose

Something to note - we always take two bottles of wine onto the ship at embarkation along with a cork screw - we are aware of the fee if the wait staff opens a bottle and so always open our own bottles - most recently we took one of our bottles to the Italian venue and had not opened it but had the cork screw with us - well if the bottle is not opened you cannot open it in the dining venue yourself - so one of us had to walk down to Lido and open the bottle and then bring it back to where we were seated to enjoy it - lesson learned - make sure it is opened ahead of time.

I thought that even if you opened your own wine you could only drink it in your cabin Not dining room because they would still charge the $15 fee ????

I thought that even if you opened your own wine you could only drink it in your cabin Not dining room because they would still charge the $15 fee ????

As several have pointed out, the "corkage" fee has nothing to do with opening the bottle or where you open it. It's the fee you pay for the privilege of bringing your own instead of buying theirs at the table. So yes, you are right, you can still be charged corkage even if you open it yourself somewhere else.

That said, like everything else Carnival, it's selectively enforced.

You can bring a cork screw onto the ship but we aware that you cannot bring a waiters cork screw (the one with the little blade for removing the foil) onto an airplane.

We learned this the hard way.

We had a cork screw with the one inch "blade" that folds in. It lived in my husband's toiletry bag.

When we flew to visit our kids in D.C., we only took carry ons. As we went through security, my husband's suitcase was flagged. The very polite TSA agent asked if we had any kind of knife in the suitcase. We answered that we didn't. She then asked if we had a corkscrew with a blade. Forehead smack! She took it out of the toiletry bag and gave us the option of breaking off the blade or forfeiting the corkscrew. We left it with her and told her to enjoy it.

We purchased a new corkscrew at Trader Joe's for $1.99 the next time we were there.

corkscrews are TSA approved

It's ironic that the one inch blade is not allowed in a carry on but the two inch sharp auger is.

Don't even get me started on knitting needles.

corkscrews are TSA approved

This sounds right to me. On our last cruise the guy searched my carry on bag and I was thinking "omg, that fold up corkscrew that's all metal and may have looked like a switchblade or something." We had left our good one home and that was the only one that we could find at the Publix that we stopped at the night before. DH started to tell him about it but the guy quickly shook his head and said "no that's fine"....and then he found the paring knife that I had brought to slice up apples on the drive down :rolleyes: lol....had totally forgotten about it. But he didn't even confiscate that. Stupid but true. But he didn't even give the corkscrew a second thought.

This sounds right to me. On our last cruise the guy searched my carry on bag and I was thinking "omg, that fold up corkscrew that's all metal and may have looked like a switchblade or something." We had left our good one home and that was the only one that we could find at the Publix that we stopped at the night before. DH started to tell him about it but the guy quickly shook his head and said "no that's fine"....and then he found the paring knife that I had brought to slice up apples on the drive down :rolleyes: lol....had totally forgotten about it. But he didn't even confiscate that. Stupid but true. But he didn't even give the corkscrew a second thought.
Carnival allows knives with blades 4" or less.

Is there wine glass in the room?

We had glass stemware water goblets in our balcony cabin, but not wine glasses. Our room steward said she did not have access to wine glasses. We quietly took the two unused glasses from our MDR table with us after dinner. You can also ask for glasses at a bar, or use the water glasses in the room (saw many doing this).

"Found a really good cheap wine for under $ 3"

oxymoron

our balcony cabins always come with wine glass

If a person enjoys the wine they are drinking, that makes it a good wine for them - not an oxymoron:rolleyes:. Found a really expensive wine for under $3 would be an oxymoron. I've had some very drinkable wines for under $10/bottle, and some higher priced wines that I didn't care for.

Did your cabins also include water glasses? We usually only have one set of glasses, not two, and they are the same glasses used to serve water in the MDR, not wine glasses.

Yes I just meant that I was stupid for forgetting about that knife and it caused us to get slowed down so he could check it out :rolleyes:
We got slowed down in Miami earlier this month because the guy was questioning several loose cans of Dr. Pepper. I accidentally dropped the case in the parking lot and some of them broke open, so I put the remaining loose cans in a bag that I had. Our full, unopened case went through x-ray and they didn't say a word about that one. But when the bag with 8 or 9 loose cans went through, he asked what was in the cans. Um, Dr. Pepper...we thought it was obvious. He asked, "Not beer?" They didn't care about the unopened case, but questioned the contents of loose cans. :rolleyes:

Call room service, rhey will being you a Carnival branded travel corkscrew free of charge. Or, ask your room stew to open for you.:cool:

Bring a corkscrew with you. Not all room stewards have them. The last two cruises, our steward borrowed one from another steward.