Me, #theboy, and the unwanted guest on Allure

Welp, four days, 11 pages and 200+ posts and we still aren't there. I'm bailing here folks and with good reason. We leave on the Anthem in the morning with #thefamily.

Perhaps when we return in 9 days we will have settled the TP over/under debate and the unwanted guest will have finally been revealed.

Until then...

The purpose of this post? This isn't the airport. No need to announce your departure.

There are trip reports on here that literally take the poster months to complete. Not sure why so many are so hung up on the pace of this one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I love it, I can't wait to get home to read it every day. I won't do it at work, I save it. As for the #theboy I thought of "The Wife" too which my brother says and I feel is disrespectful but his wife doesn't mind...maybe she isn't #thatbright. But it's grown on me and I love how well #themom writes.

Hi. I am going to go out on a limb. Please don't chop it off. I am not a RN or in the medical profession. Put the chain saw away!!! However, I have a friend who unexpectedly lost a father (stroke and heart attack), brother (heart attack at age 45) and then had a stroke himself and then a blood clot in his leg. The cardiologist had no answers. They heard about this condition from a friend in the medical profession with the blood called 'factor 5' and finally got the family doctor to run a test. Yes, he has factor 5 and it runs in the family. They now believe that is what killed his father and brother. The doctor strongly recommended that their daughter be tested also. Just something to consider if you haven't already done so. Just saying ....

Two of my three children inherited factor five from their father who didn't even know he had it until our middle daughter ended up with dual pulmonary embolism in Japan in the Air Force and almost died (during the earthquake)...I was tested and didn't have it so had him get tested and he did which of course he inherited from his parents who both passed away from other things never knowing they had it. It's pretty rare but not in our family. My kids are all painfully aware of this condition.

Read the entire thread in one sitting and am enjoying it thoroughly. Personally I love the sidebars...isn't it funny how one comment can take the thread sideways.

^^ This!

I just love the way some reviews go off road in the most enjoyable way. I have learned a lot, and not only about English language. The debate of TP seems to be global problem, and my Dear Husband always calls me The Wife (sometimes with a tone that clearly represents the hashtag) although in Finnish, and I never knew I could be offended. Here, it sounds like a compliment rather than an insult.

And the lips on the child's forehead - never knew about that either. Too bad my rotten spoiled balcony/suite loving daughter is already 21 so I probably don't get to try that anymore.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Some reviews are enjoyable because they provide valuable information. Some because they warn of things I don’t want to experience. This review makes me feel like I’m sharing the trip with you. It makes the two weeks until our next cruise go faster.

. Quote of the day. You win the internet!

While I'm thankful there are many of you reading and enjoying, I'm sorry if I can't keep it at the pace you'd prefer. Obviously I was on vacation last week and I've got lots of work to catch up on, not to mention laundry, grocery shopping, feeding Nicholas...

Which leads me to one other explanation. As those of you who have teens have probably experienced, they speak a different language. They don't use full works. They use letters. Or they say things like, "Can I get a 'hashtag' XD?" (Whatever the heck that means.) So, if you ever heard my son speak it would become clear that the use of the hashtag is actually quite appropriate.

I'd like to know why you keep using the term Nope Sandwich?

No or nope works just as well. Just wondering

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd like to know why you keep using the term Nope Sandwich?

No or nope works just as well. Just wondering

Not answering for the OP but there are many idioms using "Sandwich"

a few sandwiches short of a picnic

take a bite of the reality sandwich

one sandwich shy of a picnic

knuckle sandwich

:)

Day 19, or was it twelve? Maybe 6? I've lost track, but this is our last sea day before docking in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.

Nicholas wanted one last breakfast at Johnny Rockets, so he checked the Compass to see that it would close at 9:30. We were out the door about 8:30. For those of you who've been on the ship you know that, unless you're coming down the secret stair off deck 7 Aft (which cannot be done in a wheelchair) you happen to pass Boardwalk Donuts on the way to Johnny Rockets. #theboy stopped in for a donut. It was gone before we made it to Johnny Rockets. Pancakes, eggs, the largest glass of OJ I'd seen in my life, and the World Cup on the screens in the Aqua Theater. We sat there a while trying to take it all in, one last time.

After breakfast Nicholas wheeled me to the spa for my daily juice. After looking at the monitor by the elevator which lists, among other things, what is happening right then, I saw that The Captain’s Corner was about to start. I always enjoy that, so we wandered down 2 decks to the Comedy Club where it was being held.

This reminds me of something I had seen in the Compass a day or two earlier. There was note of a religious service to be held in the Comedy Club. I cringed a little bit, wondering if that was blasphemous?

Anyway... after the Captain's Corner Nicholas wheeled me up to 15 to sit on deck in my shady spot. We were just north of Cuba and while it was a little hazy, I'm pretty sure I saw the skyline of Havana. I also saw a small boat near us and I watched it for a while, having heard of many instances where ships picked up refugees who were afloat. Apparently that was not the case here as the boat never got very close to us. Nicholas went to the teen club and found friends to play Wii and hang out with for a few hours. I grabbed a little lunch in Wipeout; Caesar salad with grilled chicken. I didn’t want the burgers or dogs or fries in there. Not my cup of tea. Nicholas went to Wipeout for a few slices of pizza. He said it is better than the pizza at Sorrentos. (I didn’t know it was any different, but he insists it is.)

After a few beverages and a few hours, I wheeled myself back down to the cabin to begin packing. I learned that wheelchair assistance doesn’t start tomorrow until 7:30. Too late. I guess I will be walking off the ship.

After a little packing, I wanted to head to Schooners because they had a new “band”… a gathering of some of the musicians from the other venues. They said this is the first time they'd all gathered to play together. A guy with ponytail whom I’d seen at british pub. The girl (Shovan? Sioban?) I’d seen on the piano at Schooners. Another guy on bass that we'd seen in Jazz on 4, and an awesome guitarist whom I was told played in Mama Mia (which I didn’t see). They played some blue grass and folk and were terrific.

After they were done, we went back to the cabin to shower and head off to the last supper. Nicholas had fish & chips which he said were ok, could have been worse, and he only ate half. I had the lamb shank and it was probably the best dinner I had on board. It was tender and tasty. I’m wrote this in my notes less than 24 hours after the meal and can NOT for the life of me remember what I had for dessert. I guess that tells you something.

After dinner we joined our frineds in the Amber Theater for the family-friendly comedy. The first guy was ok, but a little heavy on the potty humor for my taste. The second guy was much funnier. Maybe because he was from Boston, so I got his sense of humor and his accent, which while by no means super thick, added to the amusement. After the comedy show we went back to the cabin because we had a very early morning coming up as we had planned to self-assist debark. We finished packing, called for a 5:30 am wake up call, and went to sleep.

And phrases such as these (no sandwich) add life to a story which could be ho-hum if told in an “only the facts stated in the most basic way” prose.

OP—love your writing style and your trip report reminds me of a Mother/Son (then 15) cruise I took. Now my baby boy is 37!! His older sister and father had other commitments so we went on our own and we had a blast and still recall some of the unusual things that happened during that vacation.

Mid July we’ll be cruising together again—this time with his sister and her husband, the 4 grands, our son and grandma (me) and grandpa. More fun memories to be made.

Great review so far. You and Hucifer have a very similar writing style...which is a very good thing. Loved how this thread took a few side tracks. That makes it an even more interesting read.

I noticed that as well, that we write in the same style. And I love that this became sort of a "living" thread, and how sidebar comments take comedic turns.

This thread has really brought out negativity from a few readers, and I have no idea why.

It's nuts how this thread brought out so many impatient and critical posters. I don't get it at all.

OP, you and Hucifer should leave family/sons at home and cruise together. That would be an EPIC review!

OMG, I totally love that: Sharse, me, #theboy, and #theblocker

Day 19, or was it twelve? Maybe 6? I've lost track, but this is our last sea day before docking in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.

No no no! Don't be almost done! :(

Sidebars in threads are usually some of the best parts. I know some people are sticklers and scream out "OFF TOPIC, STAY ON TOPIC!" a lot, but I think they add a really human touch to a very impersonal world.

I'm not sure about others, but in my real life sidebars happen all the time over the course of a good conversation. If you're having drinks or dinner or just sitting around the fire pit... people say "Sorry, but this drink is amazing. I've never really liked cherries in drinks, but this rocks" and you're in the middle of talking about some trip you took Nevada or something. You chit-chat and finish the Nevada story after.

Edited by poncho1973
speeling

Dear Sharse.....

I would like to say this now rather than later....

I HATED READING YOUR POST ABOUT YOUR PACKING BECAUSE IT IS AN INDICATION THAT THIS DELIGHTFUL REVIEW IS NEARING AN END.

Hopefully you will continue telling about your adventure even after you “ding” your seapass card for the last time. Heck, go ahead with posting until all the clothes have been unpacked, washed, and put away.

LOVE YOUR STYLY OF WRITING!!

I have to say I am amused by the overly rude comments about the off topic comments, slowness, use of wording being offensive, etc, etc. I just skim over the threads, do I want to know everyone's medical history - probably not, but it does make for some entertaining discussion. Why do people feel the need to always throw out the rude, negative comments, what ever happened to if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all? And if her writing style bothers you then stop reading the thread for goodness sake.

Now that we've lost all of the 30 year olds who either think this crap won't happen to them later in life, or are too flipped out by it to continue reading, I'll carry on with my review. Quick side note to those 30 year olds... I was a triathlete... I still got old. It just plain sucks.

Nothing wrong with getting old so long as you keep on getting older!

Elvis