Just how DO you get those upgrades?

Cinderellie

What the best way to be considered for upgrades?

We are considering a Galveston cruise, either Carnival Elation or RCI Rhapsody, and haven't booked yet. I have priced things out and found Carnival's own agent was cheapest over Internet prices. Haven't checked with RCI. However, what's the best way to increase your chances for an upgrade?

Is it through a travel agent? Through the actual cruise line?

Advice, you experienced ones?

Thanks!

Cinderellie

That's the $64,000 question. I always book a specific cabin as I like a certain area of the ship.

If you book a guarantee cabin, which means when you book a specific cabin category, you are guaranteed of that cabin category or better. BUT, please be sure whatever you book you will be happy with that category, you MAY just end up with that category. If you want an outside cabin, don't book an inside guarantee hoping for an outside cabin, you may not get an outside cabin. I hope that makes sense.

Its the luck of the draw. Basically ir depends on how full the ship is when you are sailing to determine upgrades.

I, too pick my cabin. I dont want any surprises- like being under a disco, or lounge. Or even put in the front of the ship.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Just curious why the front of the ship is bad? This is our first cruise and we have a guarntee - so hopefully we will get an upgrade - if not that is okay too - just happy to be going!

thanks

Jen

Norwiegan Wind - to Hawaii - ahhhh Paradise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;8;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Picture yourself in a comfortable hammack on a nice spring day just lazily swaying in the breeze. Same feeling in the front part of the ship in rough weather. I really enjoyed being rocked to sleep and never got sea sick either. In fact, we got a lot of spray on the windows too. We were on the Jubliee out of Galveston last year. I want to go again in Jan 05 if we can. Really neat, never did anything like that before. We do know that the next one will be balcony cabin though. One tip--dont go in the first parking lot they direct you too. Use the one Called Dolphin. They bring you AND your luggage back to the boat--and when you come back they pick up all of you and all the stuff and take you back to your car. That is at least a hour savings for the same money. Have fun!!

Hi, Cinderellie and TraumaNurse:

I've been upgraded twice when booking guarantee cabins, on Princess and on Celebrity, both times obviously when the ship wasn't full. By contrast, I booked a minimum outside cabin on RCCL once when the ship was fully sold out, and got the worst cabin in that category. So Doone is correct: be certain that you'll actually be happy with the category you book.

I don't think there's any better logic to how you book: Princess was through a major on-line agency when I booked an inside guarantee and got a balcony cabin; on Celebrity we were moved up two categories of outside cabins using a "regular" travel agent. Also, on Celebrity I called our agent after getting our cabin assignment two weeks in advance and I was worried about noise. I had checked online and could see that other cabins in the same category were still available, and asked to be moved to one of them. No problem!

TraumaNurse: the front (and back) of the ship has more motion than in the middle - think of a fulcrum or a see-saw where the middle moves very little, the ends move a lot. For the same reason the higher decks have more motion than the lower decks. If you're at all concerned about sea-sickness consider trying for a lower deck in the middle of the ship. Personally, I like being at the front but I don't have trouble with motion (knocking wood!).

There are never enough days at sea!

Princess used to give more upgrades than other lines (before they were bought by CCL). The best upgrade deal is the "balcony guarantee" that is sometimes available. Sail dates in the fall, especially late September & October (anytime the kids are in school) are more likely to be uncrowded, which increases the likelihood of an upgrade. And book as far in advance as possible. A year out works best for me. If the price goes down, usually the cruiseline will adjust your price down if you ask, as long as it is before the final payment date. The further in advance you book, also the more likely you'll be upgraded. It's easier to promote the lowest category prices.

Kat

• 2 years later...

We've been on around 7 - 8 cruises --- the last one I thought I'd try a Guaranteed Inside cabin, counting on an upgrade... turns out the ship was fully booked (so I was told).... and we ended up in the foremost bow location with the bow thrusters in operation at every port and it seemed like they were right outside our cabin. The worst part was the slamming of the waves against the hull and the motion was not cradle rocking the way the bed was positioned, so envision your rocking from head to toe and back again ---- I made my husband sleep sideways on the bed with me, so then it became more like a cradle rock and finally was able to sleep.

I will never book that kind of cabin again!

Depends what kind of upgrade you want, I guess. I always recommend booking the day of a one-day sale. Get your upgrade right then and there -- no waiting, no wondering, no hoping. Twice now, we've been upgraded from balcony guarantees to assigned rooms with huge balconies. Of course, you want to book well in advance to maximize availability of desirable rooms.

Upgrades from one level to another (IN >> OV or OV >> BL) are another story, I guess.

We have been lucky a few times. Once we tried to open the cabin and the key would not work, when we looked at our sail pass we felt like idiots. We have had upgrades that we were informed of when we checked in and we have had them on line or through a glorious call from our TA. Our TA always puts us on an list for upgrades with her special cruise company contacts. We once got a suite because I was the one who put a trip together for my husband's partners. I don't know why we have been so lucky, most cruisers never ever get the fairy to visit them. We are very grateful to even be on a ship.

I wish you the same fortune.

I booked an AE Guarantee on Princess (lowest catagory mini suite) and was assigned an AA (highest catagory ) it worked really well for me and saved me quite a bit of $$

There are only 2 AE Cabins, so chances are good that I would get upgraded but it's the luck of the draw, really.

This year I have a BE Guarantee and I'm hoping for some more good luck.

My wife and I will be sailing on Valor may 27th western caribbean. It is our anniversary, and would be a wonderful suprise for the up grade from suite to penthouse what is the best shot at getting that???? Would they comp upgrade at check in at no extra charge or is this a request you must put in for in advance?????:)

We didn't ask or do anything...they just notified us at check in. Remeber that just becuase it is a penthouse suite, doesn't mean that it is on the top deck...it is just the classification of the room. We were on the Empress Deck which on Victory is deck 7

• 2 weeks later...

Our first (and only, so far) cruise was on the Sapphire Princess to Mexico last April 06. I booked an AA Mini Suite and choose the room # based on advice from this forum, directly with Princess Lines. Well, about 5 days before we were to sail, I got an email from Princess saying that we had been upgraded....that is all it said. I really did not have a clue what that meant, since I had choosen a really nice type of cabin, I thought. I called, and the guy said, "You are being upgraded to a Penthouse Suite." I said, "No way!" and he replied, "WAY!" MAN....Was it a wonderful room. Dolphin deck, midship, free internet, corsage/boutonniere for the 2 formal dinners, platters of chocolate dipped strawberries (and other fruit) each evening when we came in, fresh flowers and fruit bowl, first morning breakfast on the balcony, a giant bathroom, with huge shower, a jacuzzi, and a fantastically huge area for the wasg basin/goodie storage, thick towels and robes, a HUGE closet, a bed in a separate room with high-quality sheets (foam on mattress too!) and TWO sliding doors out onto the balcony. It was heaven. It may only happen once in a lifetime, but we were blessed! To answer your question: I don't know why! :o

Joyciegirl

Called NCL directly 17 months in advance. Paid for a cabin on the lowest deck and got a SIX level upgrade and got to pick our cabin, only one other cabin was taken on that deck at the time. Got one right in the middle of the ship. It is when school is in, maybe less going. POH Oct 1, 2007.

I have always gotten a lower rate than the internet shows by booking directly with carnival, and lucy me have been upgraded both times! This next cruise we booked a suite gar. and got the penthouse suite and last time booked an inside gar. for the kids and a balcony agr for us, we got extended balcony and the kids got obstructed veiw balcony 3 doors down. Both times saving big bucks over picking specific rooms!

I believe both my upgrades (from Balcony to Suites )were due to mistakes made by the line when the cruise was booked. One time they double charged the deposit and another time they screwed up the day before arrangements. I think when these were brought to their attention it triggered a possible upgrade flag.

Archived