Rome port, flight lands at 9:00 am

DebLi

As far as I am concerned, more info is needed! You are arriving at 9am -- at the port or at the airport? Are you just arriving on the day you board?

In your place, if I were arriving at the Rome Airport and going to Civitavecchia to board that day, I'd just take a cab to the port. There ARE things to do in Civitavecchia, although luggage can be a problem.

Personally, I would fly in a few days in advance and spend time either in Rome or Civitavecchia, and then transfer to the ship at leisure.

We flew in to Rome last year and decided to spend our time in Civitavecchia rather than Rome. Our flight arrived perhaps around 10am and we had a private transfer to our Civitavecchia hotel.

If you are literally arriving at 9am (it's about a hour's drive to the port as far as I recall) then I think I'd just transfer to the port and wait until I can board the ship.

But as I said at the outset, more information would help!

Mura

I do have to agree! We've never arrived on the day of embarkation, if ONLY because we don't want to have a problem with delayed flights. But we also want to adjust to the time change AND have an opportunity to see the beginning and ending ports. Therefore, if we use Oceania's flights (which hasn't happened often but it has) we take a deviation. If we book our own flights, as we usually do, we plan on at least 2-3 days before and after the cruise. Sometimes more.

Look ... if you arrive at 9am at Rome, you're going to be tired ... no matter how well you slept on the flight. So you get a cab or whatever to Civitavecchia, then you have to wait (probably) until you can board. And once you board they send you to Terrace for lunch because unless you're in a top suite your room isn't ready.

That's a very tiring day! Much better to fly in a day or two ahead, spend some time in Rome, and then transfer to the ship. We were very happy with the service by Rome Cabs. We connected with two other couples on our Roll Call who were transferring at the same time (we spent the morning in Rome) which made the transfer very economical.

Mura

I would listen to Mura. Also make sure you book Rome Cabs as she said as they can take you to the ship. If not and just get any cab, they take you to a holding area and you need to sit on a bench, possibly for hours and get a bus that is sent from the port. Not all cabs can get in the port.

I also would not go on the same day. It is taking a big chance.

Also, I don't agree about an hour from the airport to the port. I would figure more.

Just my opinion.

by the time you collect your luggage & get a taxi or private car service drive to the port about 90 mins away it will be close to boarding time ..if you have the energy you could drop your bags & explore the local town until boarding time

We fly in from the UK, but even then we still fly in a day early, as it cuts down the worry about getting there and also lets you get a decent night's sleep. Any time we've flown in on the day, which means a 3.00 am start for us, I found it leaves you tired for the first two days of the cruise.

We now fly in the evening before and stay at the Hilton hotel that is connected to the airport and then get a private transfer to the port in the morning.

If you are stuck with your current arrangements, than as Mura says book with Rome Cabs or one of the other reputable companies that you'll see mentioned on CC, it will cost 130 Euro for up to 4 pax in a Limo each way, which is still way cheaper than O's astronomic costs.

We fly in from the UK, but even then we still fly in a day early, as it cuts down the worry about getting there and also lets you get a decent night's sleep. Any time we've flown in on the day, which means a 3.00 am start for us, I found it leaves you tired for the first two days of the cruise.

We now fly in the evening before and stay at the Hilton hotel that is connected to the airport and then get a private transfer to the port in the morning.

If you are stuck with your current arrangements, than as Mura says book with Rome Cabs or one of the other reputable companies that you'll see mentioned on CC, it will cost 130 Euro for up to 4 pax in a Limo each way, which is still way cheaper than O's astronomic costs.

Thank you [emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would listen to Mura. Also make sure you book Rome Cabs as she said as they can take you to the ship. If not and just get any cab, they take you to a holding area and you need to sit on a bench, possibly for hours and get a bus that is sent from the port. Not all cabs can get in the port.

I also would not go on the same day. It is taking a big chance.

Also, I don't agree about an hour from the airport to the port. I would figure more.

Just my opinion.

Agree

..Rome Cabs are excellent

What you want to do the first day , arriving from the USA, and what you can do will be 2 different things you will be dealing with 6 to 8 hours of jet lag... Your going to want to get some sleep unless you flew in a lie flat seat.. Even than it can be hard on you.

I never schedule anything the first day and try to take it very easy and get some rest. Otherwise the following days are going to be hard and can mess you up for days to come..... If you have never experienced serious jet lag you soon will.

Go slow on arrival... plenty of time later when your rested and your bio clock is in sync with the new time zone For Rome I would adjust your schedule to arrive at least 1 preferably 2 days prior to the cruise so as to adapt and enjoy the cruise

What you want to do the first day , arriving from the USA, and what you can do will be 2 different things you will be dealing with 6 to 8 hours of jet lag... Your going to want to get some sleep unless you flew in a lie flat seat.. Even than it can be hard on you.

I never schedule anything the first day and try to take it very easy and get some rest. Otherwise the following days are going to be hard and can mess you up for days to come..... If you have never experienced serious jet lag you soon will.

Go slow on arrival... plenty of time later when your rested and your bio clock is in sync with the new time zone For Rome I would adjust your schedule to arrive at least 1 preferably 2 days prior to the cruise so as to adapt and enjoy the cruise

Can’t change flights because of costs of changing that is absurd and we both work and aren’t taking off more time and we don’t want to part from our pup for that long. We havre cruised before, never flew in early and have traveled to Europe before, in fact we were across the pond just last year, normally have jet lag when we return home and not so much during the trip, My key to the flight is simply a sleeping pill, impossible without that! Anyway much appreciate all the advice because I am now not worried about this day or making a mistake not planning it well, we will just make our way to the ship and be done with it! Feeling better about it all!

Just excited to get going! We leave August 22!

Can’t change flights because of costs of changing that is absurd and we both work and aren’t taking off more time and we don’t want to part from our pup for that long. We havre cruised before, never flew in early and have traveled to Europe before, in fact we were across the pond just last year, normally have jet lag when we return home and not so much during the trip, My key to the flight is simply a sleeping pill, impossible without that! Anyway much appreciate all the advice because I am now not worried about this day or making a mistake not planning it well, we will just make our way to the ship and be done with it! Feeling better about it all!

Just excited to get going! We leave August 22!

Good you realize it is not a contest. No one will judge your plans on what you did or did not do. The biggest mistake many make is trying to do to much too soon. I realize that the excitement and anticipation can ignore the very real impact 11 hours of flying to a 8 hour time difference. Nine am in Rome is going to feel like 1 am... by the time you get to the ship it will feel like 3 to 4 am. Good luck and take it easy

A suggestion, if there is any possibility of getting an upgrade to Business class or better, do it. The money spent will pay you back in spades and help you enjoy your short time in Europe much better.

Speaking for my self, after many many long haul flights, I have a simple rule that is , if the flight is over 8 hours coach is out of the question as an option. If you are lucky enough to fly on a 787 the humidity and cabin pressure is much better than any other aircraft and helps reduce jet lag.