Summit Live, June 27-July 8, 2018

Educators2

Hi. We are on the Summit for the Canada/New England Independence Day Cruise. We did the same sailing last year and have done many New England/Canada cruises. We like the ports and like the fact that the cruise port is only a forty-minute drive from our house.

I’ll try to give useful information and will try to answer questions. I’m not proficient technologically to scan dailies or post photos. We are seniors from Belle Harbor, NY, a beach community in NYC.

Some heads ups:

Parking for the Summit is in the overflow lot, not the indoor garage. We read complaints about the lot but it is fine, an asphalt lot and close walk to the terminal.

Make sure to bring your amenities papers. We upgraded to concierge and Go Best about a month before the trip (same price as our balcony and one perk that we booked a year ago). Although concierge was on our room pass, the Go Best amenities were not. We had to go to Guest Relations to correct this. This happened the last two cruises with Celebrity so be sure to bring your papers. The young lady at Guest Relations, Ji Park, was excellent and set up our internet accounts.

We will keep you updated. Shows are at 7pm and 9 pm.

Susan

I have wanted to do this cruise the past 2 years but have not been able to. Last year I couldn't get off from work and this year my niece is getting married on Saturday. I wish I could be there. Have a great time. If you see Tess in Revelations Lounge tell her Anne and Frank said hi.

I have wanted to do this cruise the past 2 years but have not been able to. Last year I couldn't get off from work and this year my niece is getting married on Saturday. I wish I could be there. Have a great time. If you see Tess in Revelations Lounge tell her Anne and Frank said hi.

Same here, we had a wedding last year and MIL is very ill this year. We have booked for next year on the Independence Day cruise, will be my son's first time in a suite since Celebrity upgraded them. Last time he was in a suite was in 94 on the Horizon. Looking forward to info on this cruise.

Thanks for the bon voyage greetings.

As of now, Qsine is on the Summit.

We enjoyed lunch in the Aqua Spa Cafe. Food is beautifully presented and very good. We did not go to the Concierge lunch but there is a pass for that lunch given with your Sea Pass card.

If you are Elite, complimentary laundry must be turned in three days before end of cruise.

For those who wondered about our route, we did pass by the Statue of Liberty. We really loved seeing the Statue from our balcony...such a close view of an American symbol of freedom to all.

If you need to sit, make sure to get to the muster drill 10 minutes early. Lots of people had to stand.

As for those who asked about concierge class amenities, the tote bag is not a good quality canvas bag...more like the recyclable grocery bags.

For those who wondered about our route, we did pass by the Statue of Liberty. We really loved seeing the Statue from our balcony...such a close view of an American symbol of freedom to all.

Well I'm glad, who is the captain?

Ioannis is the captain. Dan is the cruise director.

I’ll sum up dining and entertainment at the end of the update. For those you new to Celebrity, Cafe al Bacio is wonderful for coffee and has the best pastries..both morning and evening. The pastries are free. Entertainment is lovely in evening.

I also noticed there is a clothesline in the shower. Lots of folks ask about that.

Edited by Educators2
typo

Our Meet and Greet had a very large turnout. It was nice to meet up with fellow cruise critics. The captain mingled with the guests prior to the meeting. I only knew he was the captain when I read his name tag.

Today is one of two sea days and it is gloomy and rainy. I am happy to have the internet package. There is a speaker on famous trials which looks promising. Many of the activities are sponsored by ship staff—shopping, shore excursions, galley tour, spa, pool activities.

You can access your account on the television. There are two electric outlets in room and a night light in bathroom. You need to keep bathroom door open to get any light.

Thank you for your live review. We will be on the Summit in August and are following your review with interest.

If you have an opportunity, could you find out whether the lift to the deck level where the outside movies are shown is working? Also, could you check to see if there is a pool lift to the spa pool?

I will check on the lifts and let you know if they are working.

I wanted to update you on concierge amenities. We did get another canvas tote bag today. It has a small zippered compartment but is open on the top. Honestly, I never saw a bag constructed like this but it is heavy and you can carry stuff in it. When asked, the room steward will bring sparkling wine. He also brought a rose in a bud vase.

Many ask about chic night. Do not stress over this. I saw a few men with tuxedoes but no women in evening gowns. Less than half the men wore sport coats or suits. I wore a simple navy lace dress and it was dressier than most.

While I haven’t had trouble with my iPad, my husband has had very slow connections and lost connections. If we didn’t get this “free” he would be very annoyed rather than just annoyed. When the Summit gets refurbished, outlets need to be added in the rooms and the technology made up-to-date. Technology fixed our television account remotely.

Unlike past cruises, the 7pm shows have many standees. Get there 10 minutes early. For the iPad/iPhone class, get there 20 minutes early for one of the few seats. You might learn a few new things about your iPhone...guess that is for seniors.

To the Montgomery family question...the lift to the movies on deck 12 is working. When you get to the lift, call Guest Services and a supervisor will come to assist you.

There is a wheelchair lift at the main pool on Deck 10 and a wheelchair lift in the jacuzzi in the spa. I spoke to Flora who handles accessibility in the pool areas. She said to contact her or guest Services to get assistance. Flora said that Solstice ships had a wheelchair lift in the spa pool but not Millennium class ships.

Our first port of call was Portland, Maine. We had beautiful weather. Portland is a very walkable city if you don’t want to take a shore excursion. We have been here before and decided to go off the beaten track.

There are many tour buses and vans outside the port that offer excursions in the city and nearby if that is to your liking.

My husband and I both have backgrounds in education and my focus was multicultural education. I did some research and found some sites near India Street that were most interesting and also found some great foodie places, too. Speaking of food, there was a big Italian specialty grocery that rivaled any in New York City and a great coffee shop, Coffee by Design. All were near a Maine bakery...foodie heaven.

We visited the Abyssinian Meeting House, not fully restored and not open today and other marked spots along the Underground Railroad route. Also, at Congress Street, we visited the Jewish Museum. The curator of the art exhibit spent a lot of time with us and we toured the powerful exhibit of Holocaust survivors’ posted stories on the third floor.

I planned more but I am a “slow walker” and wanted to spend some quiet time on our balcony.

Thank you for obtaining the information regarding the lifts--and so quickly too!!:) We are happy that the lift to the movies is now working. The first time we were on the Summit, they had not yet installed the lift and then last year the lift was not working (and had not been working for several cruises). We are looking forward to attending the movie/food event there during our cruise.

We are also happy that the pool lift into the main pool is working now. Again, last year it was not working. We are disappointed that the solarium pool does not have a lift--we had discussed that last year and was told it was under consideration. Don't know if they are still considering or they just decided not to do it. It is a shame because the solarium (therapy) pool would actually be beneficial for many disabled passengers. But at least this time we will be able to use a pool while onboard.

Hope that you continue to have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Happy to help with any questions.

Some updates-

Concierge guests were invited to helipad for sail away tonight. It is a mobility challenge for me so I will pass but it is nice to be invited.

Unlike the last two years, no lobster in Portland. Maybe in Bar Harbor. Did try the grill in Oceanview Cafe. The grilled items were really good.

Although a port day, we went to sushi demo in late afternoon. It was very good and only a handful of people attended. Unlike years ago, no samples but a 20% discount if you gave your room number. That is a new cutback.

We are enjoying your posts, thanks for sharing. I do have a question. How is the water onboard? A month or so back someone posted that the water onboard was really bad, they made it sound really bad. We are getting ready for our cruise on the Summit soon and was wondering if whatever the problem was was resolved.

Thanks.

Thanks for providing the link for the beverage package. We had classic last cruise and the wines and proseco were fine. I cannot really tell the best wines.

As far as the water, I have no problem with drinking it. Some people might be more particular. This is from someone who never buys bottled water.