I guess I don't understand the "Upgrade Advantage" process

Shellbelle28

My Alaska cruise on the Pearl just hit 90 days today. I clicked into "let's get you upgraded" message and looking at the options I didn't see anything that looks like "bidding" to me, what I saw was a number as though it's the upgrade cost. I was hesitant to click any further because I don't want to accidentally commit to an expensive upgrade where I get a random room assigned!

For example it says "Deluxe Owner's Suite $1375 USD pp", that's not a "bid" by how I define it! You can choose "no offer" or "continue". If I click continue, what am I going to see?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Bidding opens 80 days prior to cruise. On your MyNCL home page, there will be a big banner that says “Let’s get up Upgraded”.

On that page, you get a list of rooms and sliders to set a bid price between minimum and maximum.

54864ca89e840f8264c9a24323564adf.jpg

b7d7141e07e8b98e9d9db981ac416f48.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

If I remember correctly, if you click Continue, it then brings you to a screen where you can make your bid.

That $1375 pp number just shows you what the minimum bid for that category would be.

Thank you. That Deluxe Owner's Suite looks amazing, and I think it's only the two at the front of the ship so not a hugely risky option in terms of what I'd get. But DH might not agree with the $$$$ [emoji57]

IS the DOS on the Pearl at the front of the ship?

I didn't think so.

(I think the 4 OS are at the front, on Decks 9 and 10, but the DOS aren't there, IIRC.)

Please check on that before making any bids, if the location is important.

GC

I didn't think so.

(I think the 4 OS are at the front, on Decks 9 and 10, but the DOS aren't there, IIRC.)

GC

I'll also be checking that it's *really* a deal. Adding the upgrade to what we paid for the current booking and comparing to the price it would be to just book that category.

I didn't think so.

GC

You're right, its midship. The private hot tub balcony faces forward over the pool deck which made me think I remembered it as at the front because of commeabout it being unusable when underway due to wind.

1. Call your trusted travel agent and they can check the cost for you to upgrade without going thru a bid process. They can also select the actual room you will get. Sometimes, when going to a certain category of rooms, there are select rooms that are not desirable b/c of their location next to service areas, above nightclubs, etc. depending upon the cost difference, it may be better to have agent just book you that upgrade, pick your room and be done with it. They can also give you a number of how many rooms are available in the category you are looking to book to give you estimate of your chances. Note, people from these categories will also be bidding to upgrade to higher categories and open even more up.

2. Bidding gives that impression of a deal - it does happen - "friends" received the 2BR Haven on the Escape for an excellent deal vs paying to upgrade

3. If you were in a spa room, and big up to a Haven, you will not get that spa access unless you buy it or bid into a spa room. "friends" that bid on the 2BR above went from a spa mini suite up to the 2BR - then had to spend $400 more to get the spa passes they wanted

4. This process will not work if you must be next door / attached / across from a second room (ex. we put kids in adjoining room when we sail - this upgrade process when taking kids would not work.)

great marketing scheme on NCLs part to upsell clients. and it works..

The process is MUCH easier to view and understand from a desktop computer! I was using my phone when I started looking at the options.

The lowest possible bid pencils out to about $1000 less than booking a deluxe owner's suite outright, so the lowest bid is probably the highest I'd think about offering. There are a few things that aren't a plus for me for those rooms. Forward facing balcony/hot tub having wind, noise from overlooking the pool deck bandstand (though I can't remember that they ever actually had deck parties on the Alaska routes).

But what I can hope for is that somebody in one of the rooms in my aft penthouse suite category will move up and I can shift sideways to one of the aft balconies on the edge (vs. where we are now, aft but between other rooms on both sides).

The process is MUCH easier to view and understand from a desktop computer! I was using my phone when I started looking at the options.

The lowest possible bid pencils out to about $1000 less than booking a deluxe owner's suite outright, so the lowest bid is probably the highest I'd think about offering. There are a few things that aren't a plus for me for those rooms. Forward facing balcony/hot tub having wind, noise from overlooking the pool deck bandstand (though I can't remember that they ever actually had deck parties on the Alaska routes).

But what I can hope for is that somebody in one of the rooms in my aft penthouse suite category will move up and I can shift sideways to one of the aft balconies on the edge (vs. where we are now, aft but between other rooms on both sides).

About that forward view...

We had the amazing OS (should really be categorized as a DOS!) on the Sun, which was right at the front, and had a gorgeous view of where we were heading. Also, off to the forward-sides.

IF you do this, try to get the "land side", depending upon whether you are going N or S. IF this is a RT and doesn't go from Glacier Bay up to Hubbard Glacier, then this isn't so important. That "forward/side" view with all of the mountains... one of the more breathtaking parts of the cruise. (And Hubbard Glacier was by far the high point!)

I don't think the DOS (or GV) overlooking the Pool Deck would be quite as good, but it should be a great "next best".

(We'd be very concerned about the noise from the Pool Deck, but I think you are right. Alaska cruises probably usually don't have the same party/noise issues, for a variety of reasons. But the unobstructed view was just perfect on that cruise.)

Enjoy no matter what.

We are looking forward to another Alaska cruise :)

GC

Thank you. That Deluxe Owner's Suite looks amazing, and I think it's only the two at the front of the ship so not a hugely risky option in terms of what I'd get. But DH might not agree with the $$$$ [emoji57]

The Deluxe Owners Suite is mid ship on deck 15 overlooking the pool area it has a larger balcony with a hot tub. To get to that cabin you would go to the 14th floor mid ship and then walk up approximately 15 stairs to get to the cabin. I have been in cabin 15500 a number of times and has worked out well for me.

Cagneys is 2 decks below that cabin which made it very convenient for breakfast and lunch.

We were in a DOS on Gem (same class as Pearl) and didn't hear any noise in room from band that was playing right out by the pool.

You do have the huge deck and the view would be very wide the OS would probably get you closer to viewing glaciers. The ships ultimately do a slow turnaround for all sides, front/back to see. If you look at the Pearl webcam they are doing it right now.

When we were on Star to Alaska we had a DOS (which actually is in the front and on 12). We pulled in to see glacier and then we ultimately walked to the back of the ship after we turned around.

I sent my husband a video

that a previous DOS guest (Spaniel Lover) on the Pearl made and DH was amazed at how cool it all looked and was way more enthusiastic than I expected. So I made a bid, but only in the "fair" range, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

that a previous DOS guest (Spaniel Lover) on the Pearl made and DH was amazed at how cool it all looked and was way more enthusiastic than I expected. So I made a bid, but only in the "fair" range, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
You never know...I was booked on the Gem in April, put in a low "fair" bid on a DOS and got it!! Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

You may be surprised. I bid the lowest amount allowed on a Breakaway penthouse suite on the 9 day Baltic cruise and got it. $550pp

You never know...I was booked on the Gem in April, put in a low "fair" bid on a DOS and got it!! Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I am going to try not to think about it too much, don't want to tarnish staying in our aft penthouse suite if I don't get it. It is dang nice and plenty pampering.

They require credit card information before you place the bid anyways, so don't worry about randomly looking around :)

Yeah, I first viewed it on my mobile phone and the interface isn't quite as easy to see where you are in the process, which is what made me worry, once I was on my desktop, I could see the step by step much better.

Now I wait :cool: