Selecting a stateroom - Mediterranean Cruise

walbgon

We are planning a Med Odyssey cruise for June 2019 from Barcelona to Venice. We are trying to decide if it is better to get a port or starboard stateroom. How much of the shoreline/land do you see from the ship as you cruise? Any input from those who have taken this route would be helpful.

We are planning a Med Odyssey cruise for June 2019 from Barcelona to Venice. We are trying to decide if it is better to get a port or starboard stateroom. How much of the shoreline/land do you see from the ship as you cruise? Any input from those who have taken this route would be helpful.

I wondered about this also when booking our Oct 2018 cruise. A lot will depend on how close to shore the ship cruises. If close enough, then it would appear that port side would be best from Barcelona to the Strait of Messina and possibly including crossing the Ionian Sea. From Corfu to Venice, however, looks like Starboard side would be better.

We decided on the port side. As far as when actually docked, you can't actually count on port side being next to the port as has been noted.

You can always go to public areas to view. Great views from World Cafe and Explorer lounge.

It certainly matters when you're sailing. From Barcelona to Corfu all the action is on the port side. After that the starboard. Would suggest port on this cruise.

Can anyone, based on experience, tell me how close to shore the ships generally cruise?

We always look at the itinerary map and see which side of the ship is most often facing land while cruising and book that side, thinking that the land side might be more interesting (view wise) since the water view at sea rarely changes much. Truth be told, though, we never see much land until we approach the port anyway and you never really know for sure which way the ship is going to face when docked. It also depends on the ports - some are definitely better than others when it comes to the view from the ship (some are city views and some are commercial port views) but again you never really know for sure how the ship is going to dock. Bottom line - pick the side with the cabin location that best suits you and you should be fine.

Can anyone, based on experience, tell me how close to shore the ships generally cruise?

I have asked on a group I am in and so far no one who has done this cruise has said how far from shore they actually sailed but did say most of the time you will be sailing at night. That pretty much agrees with the info on the itinerary.

It certainly matters when you're sailing. From Barcelona to Corfu all the action is on the port side. After that the starboard. Would suggest port on this cruise.

Aft cabin? Any of the Explorer Suites (except for 3000 and 3001)?

More to think about: With only one sea day, most of your actual cruising will be done while you are asleep. Will it matter?

Close enough that you can see the coastline sometimes but not so close that you'll pull a Costa cruise and run aground. ;p

We’ve been on several med cruises and really it doesn’t make any difference unless you grab an aft cabin as you pull out of port. Land is a long way away. And there’s no way of predicting on which side the ship will dock. If it’s a tender well that’s even more random. Perhaps think about whether you want sunset on your balcony, that may make it too hot to sit on during the afternoon. Or conversely if you want bright sunshine early in the morning. Both of which depend on how shady the roof of the verandah is.

We’ve been on several med cruises and really it doesn’t make any difference unless you grab an aft cabin as you pull out of port. Land is a long way away. And there’s no way of predicting on which side the ship will dock. If it’s a tender well that’s even more random. Perhaps think about whether you want sunset on your balcony, that may make it too hot to sit on during the afternoon. Or conversely if you want bright sunshine early in the morning. Both of which depend on how shady the roof of the verandah is.

Well said! There are just so many variables to consider. Each side has advantages on every cruise, imho. And, for the record, I think aft cabins are great!

Aft cabin? Any of the Explorer Suites (except for 3000 and 3001)?

More to think about: With only one sea day, most of your actual cruising will be done while you are asleep. Will it matter?

Peregrina,

We (DW and I) have been following your posts for a long time and find them to be very informative, timely and useful. Your seemingly infinite patience with newbie cruisers and others with repetitive questions is highly commendable. You are a compendium of all things Viking.

Just curious, did we interpret your comment about Explorer Suites 3000 and 3001 correctly in that you felt that they were to be avoided when compared with all other cabins and suites on a Viking Ocean ship?

Senior Gators

Peregrina,

We (DW and I) have been following your posts for a long time and find them to be very informative, timely and useful. Your seemingly infinite patience with newbie cruisers and others with repetitive questions is highly commendable. You are a compendium of all things Viking.

Just curious, did we interpret your comment about Explorer Suites 3000 and 3001 correctly in that you felt that they were to be avoided when compared with all other cabins and suites on a Viking Ocean ship?

Senior Gators

Source is this reference I posted...

https://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/cabins-to-avioid.html

"Suites 3000 and 3001 are located in the potentially dangerous area.

When I looked at the Viking pictures for the first time my thought was: "Wow! Louis Majesty!"

Many experienced cruisers are aware of the tragic accident happened to the Louis Majesty in the Mediterranean Sea.

The Louis Majesty (now Thompson Majesty) is slightly lager than the Viking ocean ships.

A couple of huge waves went over the bow and hit unprotected forward-looking windows on the lower (level with the bow) deck."

With only 1 sea day you will have minimal opportunity to view land, as most cruising will be at night. Your best opportunities will be transiting the Messina Strait between Italy & Sicily. A few hours before Messina you will probably pass an active Volcano (Stomboli if memory is correct). Best viewing is probably on the outer decks, as in Messina you see both shores.

Rather than considering which side of the ship for land viewing you may want to consider a preference for sunrise or sunset views from the balcony on your sea day.

Most cruising you are so far off shore that all you see is mountains in the distance.

Source is this reference I posted...

https://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/cabins-to-avioid.html

"Suites 3000 and 3001 are located in the potentially dangerous area.

When I looked at the Viking pictures for the first time my thought was: "Wow! Louis Majesty!"

Many experienced cruisers are aware of the tragic accident happened to the Louis Majesty in the Mediterranean Sea.

The Louis Majesty (now Thompson Majesty) is slightly lager than the Viking ocean ships.

A couple of huge waves went over the bow and hit unprotected forward-looking windows on the lower (level with the bow) deck."

Many know about the Louis Majesty, but it has also happened on other ships. The original Princess ships had similar windows into a fwd lounge. We did however have steel shutters that were installed to protect the windows in heavy weather. Unfortunately, I recall one day on Island Princess, we hit unexpected heavy weather and before getting the shutters installed we lost a number of windows.

On the original Sun Princess, while crossing Tehuantepec, we hit some wind and seas, which did substantial damage on the Focsle. Steel plates almost 3/4" thick were bent and an accommodation ladder bolted to a masthouse was ripped off.

While most cruises will never experience this type of weather, having seen it, personally I would avoid the 2 fwd suites on deck #3.