Specific Food Questions - Sea Day Brunch

emory2001

You have to try the Roasted Tomato Soup, Steak & Eggs and Corned Beef Hash. This is the best breakfast on the ship!

I would like to try that, and see if they will bring me fruit instead of eggs. :cool:

Considering many of the cooks are Indian there’s a good chance of them getting it right!

Book a ship that has the Tandoor, it’s open every day for lunch.

To late, we’re on the Valor and unfortunately there is no Tandoor. But I’ll keep it in mind for next time!

The Indian food in the MDR is amazing- I get it at least once per cruise, but often find myself wishing I got it more often. I got off a cruise today, and I had the vegetarian Indian dish twice. I do eat seafood, but no other types of meat, so I never requested i the night before or anything- I was fine with it being vegetarian.

I didn't see anyone else in the MDR ordering it, but both nights when it came out, people at my table said they'd wished they'd gotten it to try.

The macaroni and cheese at the sea day brunch was surprisingly good. I had the mac and cheese as a side in the steakhouse, but I'll argue that the one on the sea day brunch was actually better. The caramel cheesecake on the sea day brunch menu was good too, and I also liked the little chocolate muffins.

I can help with some of your items on the Sea Day Brunch menue.

The hash browns are a pre-made round patty...about the size of a silver dollar..ish. They were fine, no bad, not great.....I think there are 3 to a serving.

I’ve never had the opportunity to try grits before, so I did! I wasn’t really a fan. It might have been better if it were made with milk (if that’s even a thing), I thought it was watery/thin and bland. After it sat for a bit, it thickened up a bit and with the cheese on top it was a bit better (but I won’t order again).

They do have a fruit plate on the menue....ours was grapes, kiwi, strawberries, melons and I think pineapple. It’s not a large serving, but we did split it between 2 ppl as we had full breakfast ordered.

I order it with cottage cheese

The Indian food in the MDR is amazing- I get it at least once per cruise, but often find myself wishing I got it more often. I got off a cruise today, and I had the vegetarian Indian dish twice. I do eat seafood, but no other types of meat, so I never requested i the night before or anything- I was fine with it being vegetarian.

I didn't see anyone else in the MDR ordering it, but both nights when it came out, people at my table said they'd wished they'd gotten it to try.

Just curious...did the Indian dish come with Naan bread? If it does, I may have to bring mango chutney! Seriously, I’m crazy about Indian food!

Sorry- not following?

They're saying the sauce is made with egg yolks, as well as clarified butter, lemon juice, salt and a pinch of cayenne :)

It stands to reason if the OP can't or won't eat eggs they won't eat egg yolks in the sauce.

Just curious...did the Indian dish come with Naan bread? If it does, I may have to bring mango chutney! Seriously, I’m crazy about Indian food!

No naan :(. It does come with a papadam.

The Tandoor (lunch, select ships) has an excellent pineapple chutney. I use it as an ice cream topping.

It did not come with Naan bread- that was the only thing missing. The tandoor had naan bread and a lot of sauces and chutneys; I don't know if they have mango specifically but they had a good selection, probably 6-7.

The tandoor food changed each day and I think the Indian food in the MDR changes every night as well (both nights I got it, it was different).

The hashbrowns look and taste exactly like bo rounds from Bojangles, if you've ever had them.

The cheddar grits taste like cooked grits, not instant from a pouch - and always have a perfect consistency for me.

I am DEFINITELY going to try the petite filet next cruise - can't believe I've never had it before! I usually go simple and get eggs, a meat, and grits for sea day brunch.

No naan :(. It does come with a papadam.

The Tandoor (lunch, select ships) has an excellent pineapple chutney. I use it as an ice cream topping.

It did not come with Naan bread- that was the only thing missing. The tandoor had naan bread and a lot of sauces and chutneys; I don't know if they have mango specifically but they had a good selection, probably 6-7.

The tandoor food changed each day and I think the Indian food in the MDR changes every night as well (both nights I got it, it was different).

Thanks SadieN & ProudPatriot07 for the info! The Valor does not have The Tandoor so I may just bring my own prepackaged Naan and the mango chutney. I like to snack so no biggie to bring it.

They're saying the sauce is made with egg yolks, as well as clarified butter, lemon juice, salt and a pinch of cayenne :)

It stands to reason if the OP can't or won't eat eggs they won't eat egg yolks in the sauce.

thank you, I should have been more specific

thank you, I should have been more specific

Sure. Do chef's still tell their line cooks to 86 the pre-made hollandaise if they see or hear that the inspector is on the premises? We both know it happens. I can't imagine a busy kitchen that could make hollandaise from scratch for each order.

Sure. Do chef's still tell their line cooks to 86 the pre-made hollandaise if they see or hear that the inspector is on the premises? We both know it happens. I can't imagine a busy kitchen that could make hollandaise from scratch for each order.

40+ years in the restaurant business, another stupid myth. No, I don't know it happens, never heard anything like this. We don't spit on your food when you return it either. No we don't make it from scratch for each order, we make a batch and keep it in a double boiler on the steamer. Actually, if anything the health dept, would lean towards pre made like Knorrs as they are always so nuts about eggs. When a health inspector arrives the first thing the kitchen does is make sure they have sanitizing towels, thermometers, and gloves.

40+ years in the restaurant business, another stupid myth. No, I don't know it happens, never heard anything like this. We don't spit on your food when you return it either. No we don't make it from scratch for each order, we make a batch and keep it in a double boiler on the steamer. Actually, if anything the health dept, would lean towards pre made like Knorrs as they are always so nuts about eggs. When a health inspector arrives the first thing the kitchen does is make sure they have sanitizing towels, thermometers, and gloves.

I didn't ask what your operation does, I thought you might read the National Restaurant Association articles on the subject. This wasn't personal and I was the member who helped clarify an earlier post of yours to be helpful. Yeesh.

I'm not usually a big fan of breakfast/brunch (don't like eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes)...

No snark intended, but then don't order traditional breakfast foods ;) There are some delicious non-breakfast options as well during the brunch. My personal favorite was the salmon. Not too heavy of a portion, but so yummy (see below). Also, ask the waiter if they can bring some popovers for your bread. They may or may not be in your basket anyway, but they are amazing :)

salmon.jpg

My husband and I have heard good things about the steak & eggs dish, and the omelettes. I also plan on ordering the Masala Dosa (Carnival describes as a breakfast crepe). I absolutely love Masala Dosa in Indian restaurants and have heard that Carnival does Indian food well!

LOVE the steak and eggs. If you don't like eggs, just order the steak :)