Shore Excursions in Cuba

tamarac

Azamara advised us that we cannot take a private excursion, unless they are a US licensed tour company. Has anyone taken a tour not offered by the ship? We would appreciate any information that you could share.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Azamara advised us that we cannot take a private excursion, unless they are a US licensed tour company. Has anyone taken a tour not offered by the ship? We would appreciate any information that you could share.

Thank you!

We didn't book a tour at all, just got off the ship and did our own thing. Already booked to go back.

Thank you!

You only need the ask the private company you select if they are authorised to provide tours under the relevant section on the affidavit. We had no problems with doing private tours or walking around on our own. That was in March.

As others have said, this simply is not true and I have no idea why Azamara told you this. I'm pasting a post a made a while back on this topic below. Private tours as well as self guided tours are fine as long as they meet the US requirements.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've asked a lot of questions across the boards about how cruise ships handle travel restrictions in Cuba. Here's my best understanding of the situation....

US travelers are required to fall into one of eleven travel categories. Previously there was a "people-to-people" category that was so general that almost any self-guided activity qualified. That category was removed by the Trump administration. Now most US travelers rely on the "Support for the Cuban people" category. There is a mis-impression that travelers must take a "US Approved" guided tour in order to comply. Cruise lines don't mind this as they make a lot of money (as you've noticed) selling excursions. First off.... the US regulations do not require organized tours - self guided tours are perfectly acceptable as long as the activity meets the "Support for the Cuban People" requirements (more about this later). Second, there seems to be no such thing as a "US Approved" tour - only tours whose content aligns with the US travel category guidelines. There is no formal mechanism for the US government to review specific tours and give them the US Seal of Approval. If your activity meets the "Support for the Cuban People" guidelines, you're fine.

So what is the "Support for the Cuban People"? Here's the relevant section of the US Statute....

(2) Each traveler engages in a full-time schedule of activities that:

(i) Enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities; and

(ii) Result in meaningful interaction with individuals in Cuba.

(3) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

This is pretty broad. Eating at private restaurants, talking to merchants, visiting museums, taking dance lessons, visiting private businesses (e.g. touring cigar or rum factories), hiring private drivers and a whole lot of other things that people usually do when visiting foreign lands all meet the guidelines according to what I have read. Just look at the AZ excursions and you'll see some more things that qualify. There are two overriding requirements, 1) You are supposed to keep activity/receipt records for 5 years, and 2) You must not spend money at any establishment on the List of Restricted Entities found here https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/c...ist/275331.htm Most of these are hotels which won't be a problem for cruise travelers.

The next issue is enforcement. First off, it's the traveler's responsibility to meet the US requirements - not the tour company's, not the cruise line's - it's up to you. The reports I've read all say that there is no check by the cruise line when you leave the ship to verify that your planned activities meet the requirements of the US travel restrictions. The cruise line will sell you the visa and will have you fill out a form that indicates which of the 11 travel categories (e.g. support of the Cuban people) your visit falls under. The rest is up to you. You disembark just like at any other port. This makes sense since if the cruise line checked your activity plans that would indicate that they have some responsibility for verifying that your activities meet US requirements - which they don't.

Another enforcement question is What about the US government auditing us after the trip to verify that our travel met the requirements? I have no idea if or how often the government does this. I've never heard of anyone being audited, but the government being the government there's probably some bureaucrat somewhere who is paid to do so. My thinking is if you keep a list of what you did along with any receipts (and don't have any receipts from establishments on the restricted list) you won't have a problem in the remote event that the government even asks. The same by-the-way applies to those taking organized tours.

So my advice is print out the list of Restricted Entities, but don't feel intimidated to tour Cuba on your own. If you're risk adverse but money conscious, look at making private bookings for the same activities that the AZ excursions offer (hint: you can save a bunch booking the Tropicana show on your own).

This is my best understanding of the situation. If I'm wrong about anything I stand ready and willing to be corrected.

Blexie is being used by several guests. I just use a classic car tour. Fun but had seen the places mostly .. I have manage to tour the ballet on my own. A rum factory, churches, lunch out, dinner show etc. it that hard to do

Edited by ellbon

Blexie is being used by several guests. I just use a classic car tour. Fun but had seen the places mostly .. I have manage to tour the ballet on my own. A rum factory, churches, lunch out, dinner show etc. it that hard to do

What was the date you visited Cuba?

As others have said, this simply is not true and I have no idea why Azamara told you this. I'm pasting a post a made a while back on this topic below. Private tours as well as self guided tours are fine as long as they meet the US requirements.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've asked a lot of questions across the boards about how cruise ships handle travel restrictions in Cuba. Here's my best understanding of the situation....

US travelers are required to fall into one of eleven travel categories. Previously there was a "people-to-people" category that was so general that almost any self-guided activity qualified. That category was removed by the Trump administration. Now most US travelers rely on the "Support for the Cuban people" category. There is a mis-impression that travelers must take a "US Approved" guided tour in order to comply. Cruise lines don't mind this as they make a lot of money (as you've noticed) selling excursions. First off.... the US regulations do not require organized tours - self guided tours are perfectly acceptable as long as the activity meets the "Support for the Cuban People" requirements (more about this later). Second, there seems to be no such thing as a "US Approved" tour - only tours whose content aligns with the US travel category guidelines. There is no formal mechanism for the US government to review specific tours and give them the US Seal of Approval. If your activity meets the "Support for the Cuban People" guidelines, you're fine.

So what is the "Support for the Cuban People"? Here's the relevant section of the US Statute....

(2) Each traveler engages in a full-time schedule of activities that:

(i) Enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities; and

(ii) Result in meaningful interaction with individuals in Cuba.

(3) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

This is pretty broad. Eating at private restaurants, talking to merchants, visiting museums, taking dance lessons, visiting private businesses (e.g. touring cigar or rum factories), hiring private drivers and a whole lot of other things that people usually do when visiting foreign lands all meet the guidelines according to what I have read. Just look at the AZ excursions and you'll see some more things that qualify. There are two overriding requirements, 1) You are supposed to keep activity/receipt records for 5 years, and 2) You must not spend money at any establishment on the List of Restricted Entities found here https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/c...ist/275331.htm Most of these are hotels which won't be a problem for cruise travelers.

The next issue is enforcement. First off, it's the traveler's responsibility to meet the US requirements - not the tour company's, not the cruise line's - it's up to you. The reports I've read all say that there is no check by the cruise line when you leave the ship to verify that your planned activities meet the requirements of the US travel restrictions. The cruise line will sell you the visa and will have you fill out a form that indicates which of the 11 travel categories (e.g. support of the Cuban people) your visit falls under. The rest is up to you. You disembark just like at any other port. This makes sense since if the cruise line checked your activity plans that would indicate that they have some responsibility for verifying that your activities meet US requirements - which they don't.

Another enforcement question is What about the US government auditing us after the trip to verify that our travel met the requirements? I have no idea if or how often the government does this. I've never heard of anyone being audited, but the government being the government there's probably some bureaucrat somewhere who is paid to do so. My thinking is if you keep a list of what you did along with any receipts (and don't have any receipts from establishments on the restricted list) you won't have a problem in the remote event that the government even asks. The same by-the-way applies to those taking organized tours.

So my advice is print out the list of Restricted Entities, but don't feel intimidated to tour Cuba on your own. If you're risk adverse but money conscious, look at making private bookings for the same activities that the AZ excursions offer (hint: you can save a bunch booking the Tropicana show on your own).

This is my best understanding of the situation. If I'm wrong about anything I stand ready and willing to be corrected.

Thank you for taking the time to answer and explain all our concerns. We certainly feel better about exploring on our own and taking a private tour.

What was the date you visited Cuba?

last time was Nov but will be there in Dec. many on my roll call are using Blexie. Besides the classic car in Nov I went drinking and out to eat. also did a show that the ship was not offering. the. ship did not really care. I did one tours in two days bases on Jewish history that i am not sure id offered or not. parts were good and parts were boring.

Thank you!

I came back from Cuba last month, I booked a private tour with Bixby, Not a problem,

At the port all they care is you have a visa, I marked supporting the cuban people. Had a great time seeing the real Havanna away from all the tourists :)

Alana

We booked after the new regulations were announced and traveled in November right after they went into effect. Azamara was trying to defraud many people on our cruise to force them to do a ship's tour. So many people got suckered into doing their tours. They didn't bother us. We did a custom tour with Blexie which I am 100% confident complied with the letter and spirit of the law. I was ready and willing to battle with Azamara to do our tour and not get on their bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can anyone recommend tour companies? Hoping for someone with personal past experience.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2649856

I personally know Yaser. Met him May 2017 and to this day we share emails and photos and keep each up updated in our lives.

OldCarTours.com ... again, I used them May 2017 (I had the Red/White Buick on day 1). The guide was SO helpful, knowledgeable, funny, and treated me like a princess. I was a solo female cruiser. I got into that Buick with 3 men in the front seat and just me in the backseat. I never felt uneasy .... at all. I was very well taken care of.

We booked after the new regulations were announced and traveled in November right after they went into effect. Azamara was trying to defraud many people on our cruise to force them to do a ship's tour. So many people got suckered into doing their tours. They didn't bother us. We did a custom tour with Blexie which I am 100% confident complied with the letter and spirit of the law. I was ready and willing to battle with Azamara to do our tour and not get on their bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Azamara isn't the only cruise line that is 'duping' their customers with veiled threats into using their excursions. NCL did this to me BEFORE the new policy. I've seen other cruisers here on CC say the same about their cruise line using inaccurate info. to force the cruisers to use their excursions.

Please post recommendations for tour operators.

Here are 2 tour operators.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2649856

I personally know Yaser. Met him May 2017 and to this day we share emails and photos and keep each up updated in our lives.

OldCarTours.com ... again, I used them May 2017 (I had the Red/White Buick on day 1). The guide was SO helpful, knowledgeable, funny, and treated me like a princess. I was a solo female cruiser. I got into that Buick with 3 men in the front seat and just me in the backseat. I never felt uneasy .... at all. I was very well taken care of.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have been to the Tropicana. Our first day in Havana begins at 6PM. What time does the show at the Tropicana start? I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't start until 10 but I couldn't find that information on the Tropicana's website. I just want to make sure that it won't be a problem to do the Tropicana on the first night of our stop.

Another question, we arrive in Havana at 6PM on November 17 and we leave at 3PM on November 19. During that time, are we able to come and go from the ship at any time? Can we come back as late as we want or leave as early as we want? I have never had an overnight stop on a cruise so I'm not sure how that works.

I did the show at the hotel,National on my own. My agent got me the ticket fir 40 American per paid. I taxi each way..used CUC.

Now I think the ship is going there for more money than I paid.

There is also the ballet when in town.

You can come and go all you want too. You show your passport and Visa each time. There is a money exchange right there, I eat out and I buy rum. Others felt 30 American was to much. I went thru 200

Been three times stillnspending the Same

Some say. Nothing to buy..T-shirt’s, art and rum,lunch etc. adds up

Edited by ellbon