Not your normal tipping thread-Splash Academy

Gampy1967

My 6 yo GD LOVED Splash Academy. We tipped $50 at end of 7 day cruise. They said it was not necessary but they deserved at least that They were very appreciative

(y)(y)

My 6 yo GD LOVED Splash Academy. We tipped $50 at end of 7 day cruise. They said it was not necessary but they deserved at least that They were very appreciative

Thank you for this reply. Our grandson said he wants to try this next month. He has been on 3 other cruises and hasn't stay there on any others, but said he is older now (he is 8) and talks to other kids :). Love this kid, was curious about tipping so thanks we will plan on leaving something accordingly.

We have never seen anyone tip at any kids club. Not saying it doesn't happen, but we have not seen it. We have sailed quite a lot on Disney, also sailed NCL and CCL. We find sometimes you do not see the same people working in the clubs. It varies by ship, but there can be a lot of people working in the kids clubs. On Disney ships, literally 20 or more people can interact with your kids in the clubs. The idea of tipping extra when dealing with these numbers is overwhelming to me. Also, it seems a bit awkward. What we have done is purchase giftcards and give them to people in the clubs who stand out. Sometimes no one stands out, sometimes 10 people do. We use Starbucks and $10 and $20 increments. From the reactions we get, honestly, you can tell that they do not get "tipped" regularly. We always tip our room steward and waiters extra. And then of course on excursions too. I have always been a big supporter of tipping, but to some extent it seems to be getting out of hand.

Just an FYI, here are some of the qualifications / salary needed for a Splash Academy teen counselor:

QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS

• Minimum of two years’ experience in a combination of programming and implementing teen recreation, teen sports, and teen theatrical performance for ages 13-17 is required.
  • Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is required; knowledge of teen trends and activities, music, games, video games, and movies is preferred.
  • One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
  • Intermediate verbal and writing skills in at least one other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
  • Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
  • Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
  • One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
  • Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.

EDUCATION

• Bachelor’s Degree or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is required.
  • Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required.

Salary: Approximately $19,000 per year.

Edited by Buford T Justiice

Thanks for posting that info,

Not exactly the "highly trained professionals" and "professional wages" CB at Sea stated they make. By any stretch of the imagination. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Remember these workers get room board medical uniforms and don’t have many of the normal day to day expenses the rest of us do. Most of their income is discretionary.

And it’s way more than a living wage in their country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the reviews I read, most say they tip the splash academy folks and it has been various amounts; anywhere from $20 to over $100, so you will have to decide based on how good their services were to your child and, of course, your budget. I'm sure no matter what you tip they will be appreciative.

Thank you very much. This exactly the information I was looking for. I realize the decision is mine alone, based upon our usage, but just wanted to get ranges people had used in the past.

I have been cruising with kids for several years. I usually put aside $60 extra per child for the different programs. I have always had great experiences with the crew and both my girls have enjoyed the various cruise ship programs. This will be our first time on NCL but plan to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tipping is such a contentious issue. I travelled in Europe as a teenager with my class and insisted on tipping generously in restaurants (because my parents always did in North America). I knew it was not expected, but thought it was nice. However, one waitress did not seem particularly pleased to receive the tip (she said it was "not necessary" and I said, "I know, but I would like to leave it as a token of our appreciation"), and I found out afterwards that some people are actually offended because it implies that they are low-wage workers when they see themselves as trained professionals.

Now I inquire into the culture, try to be flexible and check my judgment at the door. In York, England, I noticed that there was no auto gratuity on the bill for our hotel restaurant (unlike in London), but I was also told that tipping is not normal in England so I confirmed with the maître d' and asked if I could add a tip. He looked surprised but pleased and said, "Yes" and "thank you."

I don't think there is a "right" answer. There are different cultural practices. I think the default is you follow the practice of the locale, or, if you want to depart from it, then tread delicately and recognize there's a bit of negotiation involved. I don't think we should just impose our practices on others without asking first.

Sorry, I have nothing helpful to say about the Splash Academy workers, except maybe inquire discreetly with a manager whether it would be acceptable to tip them. I'm sure you will be told it's fine, and then you can tip whatever you want since it's not the established practice.

I'm glad I found this thread and how much some people tip!

Side note...I can't believe how inappropriate the conversation turned when the only question being asked was how much to tip. Honestly, can't believe some people. If you don't have the answer that someone is looking for, keep your mouth shut. That's just my $0.02...

Anywho, thanks to those who replied to the original poster. It helped me make my decision on how much to tip the SA staff at the end of our cruise. Further, I will probably have my daughters color a picture for their favorite SA staff on our upcoming cruise to Alaska.

Happy cruising everyone!

On the Breakaway in February, we noticed the kids club counselors don't always come from the same countries as other crew members. They were from countries like the UK, Canada, Czech Republic, and Chile. Made us think they're probably not doing it for the money. We left smallish tips, like $10, for a few of them who had consistently helped convince our somewhat reluctant daughter to go into the club and made sure she had a good time.

I love the idea of bringing some candy as a treat!

So I've seen several answers regarding the Splash Academy for younger kids, but what about the teen hangout - Entourage?

I wouldn't expect to tip as much as for a younger child since teens are naturally more self sufficient, but it seems those counselors are also offering a direct service.

Has anyone ever tipped the Entourage staff?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

So I've seen several answers regarding the Splash Academy for younger kids, but what about the teen hangout - Entourage?

I wouldn't expect to tip as much as for a younger child since teens are naturally more self sufficient, but it seems those counselors are also offering a direct service.

Has anyone ever tipped the Entourage staff?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

Actually, about 4 years ago on the Breakaway, ds15 thought the head counselor was great, D’s asked me to tip him (so I did).