P&O Cruise line

pinkie1

I’m searching for my next cruise and came across this line which I’ve never heard of.

I’m familiar with Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity cruises. Is P&O similar as far as quality with food, entertainment, service, etc?

The ship I’m looking into is Britannia.

I guess I could post on the P&O board but wanted to get a general “objective” opinion.

TIA!

As you have probably guessed they are a UK marketed line so there will be a large number of Brits on board...even in US waters. They have a Oz counterpart but again...different line.

Brits tend to be split into camps when it comes to the line as some will only sail P&O and love it and some will regard it as a step down from major US lines as us lot don't really need a lot of pizazz. They are also known for being slightly more formal but this is getting less so especially with the large ships like Britannia.

As a Brit, I wouldn't sail with them as I don't want a holiday with too many Brits and a bit more to my cruise but I have never heard of any major complaints.

The Britannia's design/layout is pretty much the Royal/Regal Princess if that helps.

P&O is owned by Carnival corporation and is aimed at primarily the UK market with almost all their cruises sailing from Southampton in the UK. they do have one medium sized ship based in Malta during the summer season. Their 3 largest ships, Azura, Ventura and Britannia are sisters of similar ships operated by Princess. They cater for british tastes for entertainment and a lot of the food. The UK based ships will also have a higher proportion of elderly passengers. There is also more formality than a lot of cruise lines, typically 2 formal evenings per week where for example men are required to wear a suit or tuxedo in the main dining rooms, most of the cover charge dining venues and some of the bars. All the entertainment venues allow smart casual wear. It is entirely possible to have a relaxed informal cruise with P&O, I know, I have been on over 20!

I am on the Azura ( P&O UK) for a cruise later in the year, and most people I know that have sailed on the line say it is very similar to Princess.

Yes, that'd be the closest comparison.

P&O was by far the world's biggest shipping line a century ago (liners, cargo ships, ferries etc) but now operates only cruise ships (the ferry business is in different hands altho the name is the same).

Princess is a subsidiary of P&O & both lines fly the red duster altho both are now part of the Carnival empire.

Maritime officers are mainly Brits & Europeans. Hotel-side it's mainly Indian - just as dedicated & willing, but much more reserved than on US ships.

P&O doesn't have the glitz of Princess, décor is much more subdued.

Food is orientated to Brit tastes (roasts, hotpots, curries and such) but a wide international choice too - nothing to frighten Americans ;)

Organised entertainment (shows, musicians, comedians etc) are at least on a par with those other ships, but other activities are nowhere near as brash as on RCI.

Americans struggle with Brit stand-up comedians, the Brit sense-of-humour is very different. I have the same difficulties with US comedians.

As other posts, clientele is mainly Brit.

I can understand Velvetwater's viewpoint on that, but of course that wouldn't worry non-Brits.

On-board costs are lower than other lines the OP has sailed, particularly service charges and drinks.

Ship's currency is GBP.

There'll be things you like & things you don't.

But nothing major.

JB :)

Recently we went on PO's Oceana, which is identical to the first ship we sailed on, Sea Princess, from the days when the line was called P&O Princess Line. She's based in Malta in summer, and Dubai in winter.

Two medium sized ships are adult only.

The newer, larger ships are Grand Class, after Grand Princess, the first of that size, and the largest is the same as Royal Princess.

Food wise- pretty much the same as we've had on RCI, Princess, NCL...there's an American style diner, which is extra- around $11 or 12- and other speciality ones according to the size of the ship.

The formal dress code is 2 nights a week, and is only in the MDRs and 2 bars; many people enjoy dressing up, but there's usually a crowd in the buffet/diner who prefer not.

We like to take the 2 day sailings from the UK to the Caribbean and back, but on one of the larger ships; two ships are based there all winter, in Barbados and St Lucia.