From July 4 New York Times

FLAHAM

No, it's not specifically about NCL. But it is thought-provoking, and I am an NCL cruise fan who is in this board daily, so I thought I would post it here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/travel/cruises-are-awesome.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Mixed feelings about this article. Seems like his comments have a back handed tone to them. Also what kind of travel writer cannot be bothered getting off at any port? Especially St. Maarten where we are coming up on the hurricane anniversary.

The author of the article was witty, but I found the review somewhat superficial. It mentioned the ports once almost advocating that they were of little value. The ports are the main reason we cruise. Also, it didn't mention the entertainment, which is another key item while cruising. The author seemed to be looking down at the other cruisers.

Also, no mention of what I like is the serenity of cruising on the ocean. I love just sitting on my balcony watching the flying fish or dolphins.

I found the entire premise of the article a little off. Are there really people who don't book specific kinds of vacation because they find the "uncool"? Are these people out of high school? Who lets what is "cool" and "uncool" dictate their choices and behavior past the age of maybe 23?

In the age of social media and posting about what you do all the time as a way to humble-brag or just out-right brag, yes I think many people plan trips based on what is considered "cool" at the time.

In the age of social media and posting about what you do all the time as a way to humble-brag or just out-right brag, yes I think many people plan trips based on what is considered "cool" at the time.

Totally agree. That is the whole purpose/focus of Facebook for the majority of it's users, so why would it not be a factor in travel.

Wow that is depressing. Vacation is so rare and precious. Wasting it on doing things to "impress" people rather than things you truly love and enjoy.... I can't imagine living my life like that.

Wow that is depressing. Vacation is so rare and precious. Wasting it on doing things to "impress" people rather than things you truly love and enjoy.... I can't imagine living my life like that.

So true. But we see it all the time. Bragging about where they went, mentioning the "suite life" every chance they get. Sad, really.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I found the entire premise of the article a little off. Are there really people who don't book specific kinds of vacation because they find the "uncool"? Are these people out of high school? Who lets what is "cool" and "uncool" dictate their choices and behavior past the age of maybe 23?

I don’t know if cool and uncool, are the right terms, but perhaps the closest thing in the English language to describe what people who fear a cruising vacation perceive a cruise vacation to be like.

Yesterday, I had a short chat with a casual acquaintance who was excited about finding a close out special on a Rhine River Cruise and was hoping to hear from her TA that they have a cabin. She made it very clear that she would never do a ocean cruise vacation.

Little did she know I had the opposite prejudice. There is no way would set foot on a River boat, for “included tours”, a horrid fitness center (if there is one), little choice in dining...both in meals and seating, rafting against other boats, because of crowded rivers, and perhaps ending up with a bus tour of Europe because the river levels are such that the boat can’t get from point A to B.

My guess, her view of ocean cruising is that it is just a food frenzy for a bunch of heavy drinkers in wife beater T shirts.

I don’t know if cool and uncool, are the right terms, but perhaps the closest thing in the English language to describe what people who fear a cruising vacation perceive a cruise vacation to be like.

Yesterday, I had a short chat with a casual acquaintance who was excited about finding a close out special on a Rhine River Cruise and was hoping to hear from her TA that they have a cabin. She made it very clear that she would never do a ocean cruise vacation.

Little did she know I had the opposite prejudice. There is no way would set foot on a River boat, for “included tours”, a horrid fitness center (if there is one), little choice in dining...both in meals and seating, rafting against other boats, because of crowded rivers, and perhaps ending up with a bus tour of Europe because the river levels are such that the boat can’t get from point A to B.

My guess, her view of ocean cruising is that it is just a food frenzy for a bunch of heavy drinkers in wife beater T shirts.

We have a different opinion of River Cruising. We have found the dining to generally be quite good. We like the smaller crowd on the boat, since we get to know quite a few people on the same cruise. I love sitting on the deck watching the landscape go by. Also, the River Cruises allow you to see the area in more detail than on an ocean cruise.

I read the article and liked it, but I also know who Michael Ian Black is for context (he had posted the link on his Twitter).

My bosses judge me for going on cruises. It just isn’t their thing. I just say, for me I enjoy it for a few reasons - easy/safe traveling by myself, extremely relaxing and budget wise it really is the best you get for you money. They can still judge but they don’t get to choose how I spend my time off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums