Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

On 3/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, peabody304 said:

This is great info, thanks! 
Any chance you plan to post the Viking Dailies from this cruise? (Please?) 🙂

Weve ended up w the concierge’s recomendation.  I’ve also used http://www.parisian-car-service.com/excursions-cars-with-chauffeur.html. I also have a private guide if interested.  Not cheap, but great experience to do an add on that you otherwise would miss.  Fontainebleau was lovely and we were in LePecq in time for the light lunch & walking tour.

Ive also gotten in the habit lately of booking a driver & doing a tour when I land, from airport to hotel, it’s the best 2 hours to get an overview and we add an out of the way spot we would otherwise miss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Arrived in Rouen yesterday. Walking tour when we arrived which I skipped so that I could go see the Rouen cathedral and take a million and one pictures of the interior and exterior for my daughter.  

Hi Peregrina,

First of all, thanks for being such a good resource for this trip and past trips. (We met you on the Viking Star, Barcelona to Rome in 2017). We are doing Paris & Normandy starting April 28th. In Rouen, did any of your group go to dinner at La Couronne (famous for Julia Child's dinner there)? I'm thinking of booking a table for 4 on that first evening to try it out. Any feedback? Anything else you rate as a don't miss, even if it is a bit off Viking's itinerary? Thanks again.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:13 AM, peabody304 said:

For people going Lyon to Avignon: 

After the included tour you can stay in Arles. There are 2 shuttles back to the ship. One is at 2:45 and the other is at 5.

You can also return to the ship at 12:00, after the tour, and have lunch. Viking provides a shuttle back to Arles at 2PM. 

Uber worked well for us in Paris but we did not use it to the port.

• Like 1

Deec, there is another couple on board who uses Uber everywhere and seems quite happy with the service. 

Commonwealrh vs US? That is a judgement I could not, would not make for anyone but myself.  I think it is way too complicated for a simple yes or no. 

4 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:
On 3/27/2019 at 4:13 AM, peabody304 said:

After the included tour you can stay in Arles. There are 2 shuttles back to the ship. One is at 2:45 and the other is at 5.

You can also return to the ship at 12:00, after the tour, and have lunch. Viking provides a shuttle back to Arles at 2PM. 

Worked similarly for our upriver cruise but there are some sailings where the ship sails to Avignon at midday  and the shuttle schedule will be different. Unfortunately, you won't know in advance what the plan of the day is and nothing is firm until you see it in the daily.

So we will be in Arles on a Sunday. Concerned a lot will be closed. We're scheduled to take the included morning walking tour but was wondering if there is enough to do in Arles in the afternoon on our own with the stores and attractions potentially closed or would our time be of better use signing up for an optional tour.

6 minutes ago, dolllover said:

So we will be in Arles on a Sunday. Concerned a lot will be closed. We're scheduled to take the included morning walking tour but was wondering if there is enough to do in Arles in the afternoon on our own with the stores and attractions potentially closed or would our time be of better use signing up for an optional tour.

My Viking Trip is coming up on April 16 from Lyon to Avignon. We will also be in Arles on a Sunday, which is Easter Sunday. Is that the Sunday you will be there? I'll post what's going on, but it may not be a typical Sunday. 

7 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:
On 3/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, peabody304 said:

Great information - thanks! 

.?

13 hours ago, jwzaiser said:

Hi Peregrina,

First of all, thanks for being such a good resource for this trip and past trips. (We met you on the Viking Star, Barcelona to Rome in 2017). We are doing Paris & Normandy starting April 28th. In Rouen, did any of your group go to dinner at La Couronne (famous for Julia Child's dinner there)? I'm thinking of booking a table for 4 on that first evening to try it out. Any feedback? Anything else you rate as a don't miss, even if it is a bit off Viking's itinerary? Thanks again.

Hey, jw, how ya doin'? 

I haven't heard of anyone going there. So no info to share. Sorry. 

Cooking on the Rinda has been head and shoulders above the Delling and we really have had no desire to leave the ship for dinner. Plus two of us have been hit with upper respiratory whatever and we haven't had the energy or the appetite. 

End if April should be delightful. 

20 minutes ago, Sacramento2012 said:

My Viking Trip is coming up on April 16 from Lyon to Avignon. We will also be in Arles on a Sunday, which is Easter Sunday. Is that the Sunday you will be there? I'll post what's going on, but it may not be a typical Sunday. 

Don't know about Easter Sunday; that is another animal but it is Sunday in the little town if Les Andeleys on the Seine and there are shops that are are open, taking advantage of the two ships that docked here today. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jwzaiser said:

Hi Peregrina,

I have been to La Couronne.  It’s excellent! Its the oldest restaurant in France dating from the 14th century.

2 hours ago, dolllover said:

We were there on Sunday. Our guide said that restaurants, museums and tourist stores were open but not ordinary shops. Like Peregrina, we took the Carrières de Lumières excursion which we enjoyed. 

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Don't know about Easter Sunday; that is another animal but it is Sunday in the little town if Les Andeleys on the Seine and there are shops that are are open, taking advantage of the two ships that docked here today. 

We will be in Les Andeleys on Bastille Day (7/14  a Sunday) which is also our anniversary so we hope to see some festivities as I always wanted to be in France on our anniversary.

2 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:

We were there on Sunday. Our guide said that restaurants, museums and tourist stores were open but not ordinary shops. Like Peregrina, we took the Carrières de Lumières excursion which we enjoyed. 

I want to add to my post. We went on the included morning tour. We saw that most stores weren’t open. Someone asked and that’s when our guide gave us the low down on Sunday in Arles. In the afternoon we did an  optional tour.However, The Fondation Vincent Van Gogh is open on Sunday and some people went there.

Edited by Cairn Mom
  • Like 1

Looks like in Tournon the steam train excursion is at the same time as the optional excursion Charming Ardeche.

I'm really more interested in the Ardeche one but it is pretty pricey. If it's worth the cost I'll sign up for it . I know Peregrina you went on it but did you find it a good value for the cost?

Today, we went on the included excursion in the morning and Chateauneuf-Du-Pape excursion in the afternoon. We enjoyed both tours. 

For Chateauneuf-Du-Pape excursion, we went to the Perrin winery for a tour which we enjoyed. Then we went to a scenic overlook with an abandoned castle. Our last stop was the town of Chateauneuf-Du-Pape. There are many tasting rooms if you have a mind to try more wines but time is limited . 

The included tour takes passengers to the Pope’s Palace. We really enjoyed that excursion as well. It was one of the things that  sold us on the trip. At the end of that  tour, Viking provided a lovely surprise for us. I don’t want to spoil it so I’ll say no more. 

This was a wonderful trip. We were  so fortunate with the weather  

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Cairn Mom said:

Today, we went on the included excursion in the morning and Chateauneuf-Du-Pape excursion in the afternoon. We enjoyed both tours. 

We've booked the optional Chateauneuf-Du-Pape tour, as well. Very glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Also, we're skipping the train in Tournon and doing the optional Rhone Valley Vineyard Hike instead. I simply could not be across the river from Hermitage and not do something there. 

35 minutes ago, skiladyldp said:

I am really enjoying all the comments on this thread.  We are doing the Lyon to Avignon embarking on 4/28/20.  All of this information is so helpful as I begin to plan our trip.

I agree completely! We're only a few weeks behind you (5/21).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:

For Chateauneuf-Du-Pape excursion, we went to the Perrin winery for a tour which we enjoyed. Then we went to a scenic overlook with an abandoned castle. Our last stop was the town of Chateauneuf-Du-Pape. There are many tasting rooms if you have a mind to try more wines but time is limited . 

The included tour takes passengers to the Pope’s Palace. We really enjoyed that excursion as well. It was one of the things that  sold us on the trip. At the end of that  tour, Viking provided a lovely surprise for us. I don’t want to spoil it so I’ll say no more. 

This was a wonderful trip. We were  so fortunate with the weather  

Did the included tour go to the bridge in Avignon (St Bénézet)?  When there years ago, some were dancing and singing “Sur  le Pont d'Avignon”.  

2 hours ago, MURPHY27 said:

Did the included tour go to the bridge in Avignon (St Bénézet)?  When there years ago, some were dancing and singing “Sur  le Pont d'Avignon”.  

We went near to it but not on it. 

I also want to add that the ship docks in Avignon. It’s a short walk into the walled city. Many people stayed in town after our walking tour. We saw others walking back after lunch.

Just a note about flights. It seems that the majority of the people on this cruise have to leave a 3AM to get to the airport in Marseille in time for their flights. It’s 90 minutes away from Avignon. If you don’t want this to be you then pay the $50 per person and  don’t let Viking book you a flight before 9:30 AM. We are leaving at 6:30AM which is still really early but not ridiculous. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cairn Mom said:

We went near to it but not on it. 

I also want to add that the ship docks in Avignon. It’s a short walk into the walled city. Many people stayed in town after our walking tour. We saw others walking back after lunch.

Just a note about flights. It seems that the majority of the people on this cruise have to leave a 3AM to get to the airport in Marseille in time for their flights. It’s 90 minutes away from Avignon. If you don’t want this to be you then pay the $50 per person and  don’t let Viking book you a flight before 9:30 AM. We are leaving at 6:30AM which is still really early but not ridiculous. 

What time is your flight, if you don't mind me asking. Our flights out are at 10:30; I'm just trying to get an idea of how early we might leave the ship.

23 hours ago, dolllover said:

Looks like in Tournon the steam train excursion is at the same time as the optional excursion Charming Ardeche.

I'm really more interested in the Ardeche one but it is pretty pricey. If it's worth the cost I'll sign up for it . I know Peregrina you went on it but did you find it a good value for the cost?

On our upstream cruise they were offered on two different days in two different ports. 

We enjoyed our day in the Ardeche very much. Our guide was fabulous. Jeanette, a British expat who has lived in the area for 30 years. The day includes a short visit to the Lavendar Museum, so you can skip that tour elsewhere. Of course, the lavendar hasn't even started to bloom but we got a chance to learn about the different kinds of lavendar and which cures what (don't ask; I don't remember).

I think the only way I can answer if it was a good value -- because I am sure that my definition of a good value is not necessarily anybody else's--is to say that none of the four of us regretted taking the tour and at the end of the day, none of us felt like we had been cheated.  

• Like 1

Our last day😥

Sunny and hot (which in my book means more than 70).🤯  Pollen count has been high and has not helped the upper respiratory issues. Bring your favorite remedies!

We rode into town with the included tour and parted ways with them at Notre Dame--after the best potty stop of the whole trip. 80 cents euro gets you one the cleanest public toilets you have ever seen. On the Place de la Concorde,  near the obelisk. Back on the bus a half hour later. Then a zig-zag drive past the Louvre and the Opera house and the Hotel del Ville, before getting off the bus and doing the rest of the day on our own. We toured the inside of Notre Dame, made sure to get at least a view of the gargoyles and the flying buttress before stopping for lunch at a little cafe right across the street from San Chappelle. After lunch, went into San Chapelle, famous for its stain glass windows. Especially on a sunny day, it will knock your socks off. 

Then we started walking along the river heading towards the Eiffel Tower. We didn't get that far. The temp and the pollen did us in. We wanted to find a cafe where we could quaff a cold one; no luck. 

We are on the 6am bus to the airport, so, time to say good night! 

• Like 1