Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence

Peregrina651

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Glad you enjoyed Carrières de Lumières.  The art is different every year, but there are so many great artists that there should always be something of interest – and the experience of being immersed in it is unique.  Les Baux is also very interesting, and I don't understand why the two are often split into separate tours [since as you note they are literally adjacent].

THANK YOU , Jazz. We loved it. What an experience. I could have spent twice as long there but the rest of the party was getting dizzy-- and our time was up. 

Sunny. 50s. No wind.  

Back in Avignon for walking tour in the morning and Pont du Garde in the afternoon. 

I went back to the ship after the Papal Palace tour. Lots of steps mostly even in the Palace. Only one  longish flight up but more longish flights going down. Handrails for most flights. Time to rest between. Also, there is a minimal steps walking tour group that does not go onto the palace. 

Distance is a couple of km including getting from the ship to the city gate. 

• Like 2

Ugh. Internet has been spotty. 

Continuing Avignon.  Pont du Gard. OMG. An absolute MUST-SEE. The tour is a good way to do it but it isn't the only way. In any case, there is walking involved but you can get a good view of the bridge without straying off the paved path. 

20190321_155623.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Ugh. Internet has been spotty. 

Continuing Avignon.  Pont du Gard. OMG. An absolute MUST-SEE. The tour is a good way to do it but it isn't the only way. In any case, there is walking involved but you can get a good view of the bridge without straying off the paved path. 

20190321_155623.jpg

That is a fabulous photo!
We visited Pont du Gard on an independent visit to Avignon a couple of years ago.  It is an amazing site to see.  
Really enjoying your report.

Friday. Vivier and the Ardeche Valley. Another Sunny day.   It was 46 when we boarded the bus at 8:30am and almost 80 by midday. 

This was our splurge shorex. An all day tour with lunch. Vineyards and lavendar fields are not yet in bloom but we did stop at a Lavender Museum.  Small but very nicely done and because we are off season, we had the museum to ourselves. Nice for those who do not get to see them in Arles or Avignon. 35 min or so from ship to museum. 

Ardeche Gorge was beautiful. Lunch was delicious. Another half hour from museum to gorge overlook. 20 min photo stop. Another 10 minutes to the lunch stop. 2 hours for lunch (sooo good).  Time to walk down to the river for a close up view of the natural bridge. 

Last stop was a walk through the village of Vogue. By this time, the thermometer had already crossed my comfort threshold. Imho, if it is too warm for you, head down to the river bank and just enjoy.  The town is quaint but it being pre-season, no cafes were open. 

All in all, a great day. 

20190322_153816.thumb.jpg.facb64f4ea3948d5d9077b5029559274.jpg

• Like 2

So exciting!  Linda and I arrived in Paris yesterday morning.  We are off to Versailles today, then meeting a friend for dinner near Sacre Couer. Bought the Paris Pass and have the next few days full.  Great to hear your report on the Lumineres!  We are going to the one here in Paris before heading to the port to board for the north bound portion of the trip.  Our Airbnb flat is lovely, with a great view of Notre Dame.  I look forward to meeting you next week!

IMG_20190322_050210782_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, San Diego Ronni said:

So exciting!  Linda and I arrived in Paris yesterday morning.  We are off to Versailles today, then meeting a friend for dinner near Sacre Couer. Bought the Paris Pass and have the next few days full.  Great to hear your report on the Lumineres!  We are going to the one here in Paris before heading to the port to board for the north bound portion of the trip.  Our Airbnb flat is lovely, with a great view of Notre Dame.  I look forward to meeting you next week!

IMG_20190322_050210782_HDR.jpg

What was this rental?  Is it on Isle d’cite?

lovely!

Love following this live blog. Lots of great info. Regarding Versailles did you book a tour or see it on your own? We leave for our Rhone cruise next October. Staying in Paris for a few days before our cruise and Versailles is a must.

SUNNY. 50 as we boarded the buses in the morning. Shirtsleeves by lunch time. 

Steam train this morning. Fun ride through the countryside. Minimal walking but you do need to climb up and down the three steps of the train. Long enough to be fun. Short enough not to be boring. 

Currently waiting for our arrival in Vienne. 

Spring has barely arrived. Very few of the summer trees have started to bloom. The willow trees are an exception:

Tried to upload but failed 😞

• Like 1

We arrived today in Paris and had no issues getting from CDG to our hotel. The concierge advised us that there were protests everywhere. Fortunately, our room was ready early and we spent the day relaxing. What did you wind up doing Ronni?  Apparently, many restaurants are closed so the concierge is having trouble finding us a place nearby for dinner. It’s just after six here ( for those reading this). The good news, is, that tomorrow, things will be back to normal. We were informed that the protests have only been on Saturday for quite awhile. 

Trip sounds amazing Peregrina. We’re really looking forward to it. I believe we are like two ships that pass in the night lol. I arrive in Lyon as you depart. 

Edited by Cairn Mom

9 hours ago, Cairn Mom said:

We arrived today in Paris and had no issues getting from CDG to our hotel. The concierge advised us that there were protests everywhere. Fortunately, our room was ready early and we spent the day relaxing. What did you wind up doing Ronni?  Apparently, many restaurants are closed so the concierge is having trouble finding us a place nearby for dinner. It’s just after six here ( for those reading this). The good news, is, that tomorrow, things will be back to normal. We were informed that the protests have only been on Saturday for quite awhile. 

Trip sounds amazing Peregrina. We’re really looking forward to it. I believe we are like two ships that pass in the night lol. I arrive in Lyon as you depart. 

Finally made it to Versailles, but only after several metro changes, which closed as soon as we arrived.  Took a lot longer than it should have,  but Versailles was worth it.   Will do the hop on hop off today and visit the Musee D'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Tuileries Gardens before meeting a  Parisian friend for sunset dinner at Sacre Couer.   Will most likely Uber to Le Pecq from Paris on Tuesday afternoon.  Peregrina, will see you onboard!

On 3/22/2019 at 5:45 PM, MURPHY27 said:

What was this rental?  Is it on Isle d’cite?

lovely!

Yes, it is!  Really cute 16th century building....love hearing the bells pealing from Notre Dame.  Great central location.  Reinhard is a really nice host who gave us lots of local tips and recommendations.   I hope our flat in London is equally as nice....

19 hours ago, dolllover said:

Love following this live blog. Lots of great info. Regarding Versailles did you book a tour or see it on your own? We leave for our Rhone cruise next October. Staying in Paris for a few days before our cruise and Versailles is a must.

Did Versailles on our own with free audio guide.  Very crowded because I think lots of folks got out of Central Paris due to the demonstrations and predicted possible violence.  Also, I'm having a plantar fasciitis issue so had to stop frequently...did not help to have to go through so many  steps to get there due to metro closings....grrrrr....

Edited by San Diego Ronni
Wrong word

At breakfast. Pulling into Lyon and have a busy two days planned. Once again, the sun is shining and come afternoon, it will be warm again. 

Beginning to think that we should have allowed some free time here in Lyon rather than planning  two tours per day each day. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, San Diego Ronni said:

Finally made it to Versailles, but only after several metro changes, which closed as soon as we arrived.  Took a lot longer than it should have,  but Versailles was worth it.   Will do the hop on hop off today and visit the Musee D'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Tuileries Gardens before meeting a  Parisian friend for sunset dinner at Sacre Couer.   Will most likely Uber to Le Pecq from Paris on Tuesday afternoon.  Peregrina, will see you onboard!

We arranged a driver to LePecq with a detour to visit Fontainebleau.

It was a great way to see something new.

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

At breakfast. Pulling into Lyon and have a busy two days planned. Once again, the sun is shining and come afternoon, it will be warm again. 

Beginning to think that we should have allowed some free time here in Lyon rather than planning  two tours per day each day. Time will tell. 

I may have overbooked our stay in Lyon. We have the morning planned with Viking doing their panorama tour of the city and the afternoon the optional excursion to the medieval city of Perouges. I may cancel the morning one so we have time to do our own thing.

12 minutes ago, dolllover said:

I may have overbooked our stay in Lyon. We have the morning planned with Viking doing their panorama tour of the city and the afternoon the optional excursion to the medieval city of Perouges. I may cancel the morning one so we have time to do our own thing.

I’d be tempted to spend the entire day in Lyon.  I always eat lunch off ship when docked instead of returning to eat.

Edited by MURPHY27
Sp

40 minutes ago, dolllover said:

When we were there with Avalon the tour started at the church overlooking the city. I left the tour at that point and visited the Roman amphitheater and  museum just down the street. It's a very nice museum. I then walked down the hill and made it back to the ship in time for lunch. Something to consider.