Which smaller ship to book next?

Our family loves cruising! DH and I, plus our teen girls (15 & 17) This past Spring Break we sailed on Allure, and the prior year on Rhapsody. DH and I also sailed on Grandeur for our honeymoon, and we’ve all been on Carnival Sunshine when it was the Destiny. The girls LOVED Rhapsody and the Carnival ship.

Long story short, after our Allure cruise, we all agreed we much prefer the smaller ships. Shocker, I know, with two teen girls. However, they didn’t like all of the reservations for shows & activities. None of us were fond of how crowded it felt on Allure.

We’re looking to book our next cruise in 2019, but I’m not sure which ship to look at next. We prefer the Caribbean right now. And the girls love the freedom to lay by the pool, or go to a show or comedy. Whatever catches our eye for the day.

Any suggestions for which ship to choose for our next cruise?

What do you mean by smaler ships? Is Freedom class one of those? If so, you can try Freedom out of San Juan or Liberty out of Galveston.

If you mean smaller, you will have to cruise between November and April when they come back from Europe. Serenade has very nice Southern Carib itineraries out of Ft. Lauderdale.

The Freedom Class ships, Freedom, Liberty, & Independence, are larger than Grandeur, smaller than Allure. Reservations not needed except for specialty restaurants, plus they have more for the teens to do than the smaller Vision and Radiance class ships. Our grandsons love the ice rink open skating sessions and the flow rider, in addition to the rock wall and all the planned teen stuff. When we took our son on a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on Vision, he had just as much fun on that ship as his nephews do now.

Check out the deck plans and the public areas and the activities provided and the itineraries of cruises when time off school allows and have a great time cruising!

BTW, the Radiance class have self-leveling pool tables near the aft lounge deck 6, past the Schooner Lounge.

Kay

Edited by roadburner

The Freedom Class ships, Freedom, Liberty, & Independence, are larger than Grandeur, smaller than Allure. Reservations not needed except for specialty restaurants, plus they have more for the teens to do than the smaller Vision and Radiance class ships. Our grandsons love the ice rink open skating sessions and the flow rider, in addition to the rock wall and all the planned teen stuff. When we took our son on a 2-week Panama Canal cruise on Vision, he had just as much fun on that ship as his nephews do now.

Check out the deck plans and the public areas and the activities provided and the itineraries of cruises when time off school allows and have a great time cruising!

BTW, the Radiance class have self-leveling pool tables near the forward lounge (deck 5?).

Kay

Thanks!! This definitely helps point us in the right direction. Headed to check out itineraries on Freedom class!!

Check out Serenade of the Sea, awesome ship, excellent food and itinerary....

Thank you! I will also check out Serenade. I know we’re oddballs by not liking the newer mega ships, but my daughter literally told me today she’d rather go back on Rhapsody than on another Oasis class ship. :o

Thank you! I will also check out Serenade. I know we’re oddballs by not liking the newer mega ships, but my daughter literally told me today she’d rather go back on Rhapsody than on another Oasis class ship. :o

I don't think you're oddballs at all, there are those of us here that prefer smaller ships.

I like the Voyager class. Slightly smaller than Freedom class, bigger than Radiance class and Grandeur.

I agree have done voyager and navigator 3 times , really like the ice shows which are not on smaller ships.

Another “oddball” here. We enjoyed the Allure but it felt most of the time like a crowded mall. Liked the Explorer better and our upcoming cruise is on the Serenade.

Add me to the oddball list. I sailed on Oasis once and wasn’t a fan. I personally love the Radiance class ships but also enjoy the Voyager class(absolutely love the ice skating shows).

I guess I'm an "O-List" cruiser, too! I love Radiance and Vision class ships. We just got off the Rhapsody 3 months ago, and we're booked on the Jewel for 41 nights next year. Plus, I'm going on the "dainty" little Empress to Cuba next January with my friend. That might feel like the ships I sailed on when we first started cruising!

We were on Serenade for more than 50 days in the post year, and 21 days on Jewel. Five of our currently booked seven cruises are on Radiance class ships. Can you guess what our favorite ships are? The crew seems to take extra pride in going the extra mile in cleanliness, care and pampering. The captains and hotel directors are among the best, too. Sure miss Capt, Tor Olson, though. Guess he has retired since finishing his six months desk duty in Miami.

BTW, we hated the Quantum. 21 days were way too many!

Kay

Edited by roadburner
add p.s.

I have only been on Serenade so can’t compare but I really liked the views of the sea from most places especially the elevators at the side of the ship and the outdoor seating in the Windjammer. I think those features are unique to Radiance Class.

No ice rink, or Royal promenade but a good promenade deck instead with proper sea views and you can go out to the helicopter pad at the front.

Love love love that there are plenty of oddballs like ourselves! I was truly shocked that our teens far preferred Rhapsody over Allure. I’m glad, since DH and I feel that way also, so it makes it easier to please the whole family with one trip.

I’ll be checking out the other classes mentioned to see what we can book for next spring.

Check out Serenade of the Sea, awesome ship, excellent food and itinerary....
We just booked this ship especially for the itinerary!! It is SO far away though =) Thanks for the input