The illogical logic...

So, I know these sales that Royal Caribbean comes up with is brought up a lot on here because of the whole way they word things, but I haven't seen this one..

On July 3rd, my cruise drink packages were $47.00 a day/pp, that changed to a buy one get one 50% off sale that day (I took a picture of the deal, but my phone is dead, so I'll show it later). Naturally, we attempted to jump on this deal.

At normal price, the grand total is $776.00 for two people. I spoke with a royal Caribbean rep whom advised me she applied the deal and the grand total would be $776.00.... Well, HOW??

According to their customer service rep, when you purchase the package, the first person gets 25% off the package, and the second person gets 25% off the package, equaling 50% total. And the current prices make it $47.00 a day/pp. We went back and forth on how that logic makes absolutely no sense, but I lost the argument eventually.

Have you ever seen that deal and had it explained in this manner?

Yes, the price shown online is after the discount and averaged across both guests. Also, the 50% off is not off any online price you saw. It’s off the onboard price, which could be anything and varies across ships and across sailing dates

Hombre,

You are correct in that in the world of mathematics and exact science, there is absolutely nil, nada, zero logic in how ANY of the cruiselines apply their sales.

In the world of marketing, on the other hand, all logic is called away and they can and do say anything they want.

Is it right? Maybe

Is it ethical? that's dipping the toe in the water in my opinion.

(Please note that numbers are rounded)

Regular drink price: ~$62pppd

$62-25% = ~$47pppd (regular “sale price”)

**$47 + 18% grat (7 day x 2 people) = $776 (note order of operations)

NEW SALE

One person pays ~ $62pppd

Second person pays ~ $31pppd (50%off)

$62+$31= $93pd

$93 / 2 = ~$47pppd (rounded up).

**same numbers: 47 + 18% (7x2)= $776

So therefore in both scenarios each person is paying 25% off the REGULAR price of the drinks package which is THE SAME as the originally discounted rate and thus the same net amount as what the OP was quoted.

It’s when a sale is not a sale at all. Cruise lines and anyone that is selling anything do it all the time. RCI just have it down to a fine art.

Yes, the price shown online is after the discount and averaged across both guests. Also, the 50% off is not off any online price you saw. It’s off the onboard price, which could be anything and varies across ships and across sailing dates

Yes, as I understand it the sale is applied to the price charged onboard for the package. This is similar to when a store goes out of business, they say it's 50% off everything. What they don't say is they changed the prices to full retail price and not the normal price you would have paid in the store for the item.